Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #2701
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Not sure if it has been posted, but in Eric D's notebook in this weeks Athletic he puts forward a Bennett for Kapeninen deal. Have to think this would get Treliving's interest.
Wow, seems like a no brainer.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #2702
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if it has been posted, but in Eric D's notebook in this weeks Athletic he puts forward a Bennett for Kapeninen deal. Have to think this would get Treliving's interest.
No idea why the Leafs would do this, but you would have to believe BT couldn't complete the trade call and get the paper work in fast enough.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #2703
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I suspect the flames place a value on the player based on a number of factors including performance this year, historic performance and long term potential with the latter admittedly likely being lower than last thought but still a factor
So if a team is offering a fringe prospect or a third round pick is that a low ball offer?
It has to be worth it to move him.
It might be worth it to move him for that if it clears extra space for a top tier player and the pick can flipped in the transaction for said player.

These Bennett rumours wouldn't still be out there if the Flames weren't still listening to offers or putting his name out there themselves. General Managers don't just spam other GMs with ####ty trade offers like I do in my fantasy leagues.

Friedman actually reporting that the flames want the return for Bennett to be commensurate to what kind of player he'd be if he blows up vs what kind of player he is now is super interesting reporting. He's either getting that from the Flames or he's getting it from a variety of the teams making offers.

Theres the 'low ball' factor and I'm inclined to think that's coming direct from the flames org.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #2704
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good lord. If that deal is on the table and Treliving hasn't jumped on it, he should be sent on a long vacation until after the trade deadline and let someone else handle duties until then. This is a no brainer and a massive win for the Flames.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #2705
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett for Kapanen? The Maple Leafs Kapanen? Kasperi Kapanen?

Haha what a pipe dream.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #2706
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
It might be worth it to move him for that if it clears extra space for a top tier player and the pick can flipped in the transaction for said player.

These Bennett rumours wouldn't still be out there if the Flames weren't still listening to offers or putting his name out there themselves. General Managers don't just spam other GMs with ####ty trade offers like I do in my fantasy leagues.

Friedman actually reporting that the flames want the return for Bennett to be commensurate to what kind of player he'd be if he blows up vs what kind of player he is now is super interesting reporting. He's either getting that from the Flames or he's getting it from a variety of the teams making offers.

Theres the 'low ball' factor and I'm inclined to think that's coming direct from the flames org.
Another Athletic piece this past week, Craig Custance, has Bennett on his list of players that could move before the deadline. He quotes one NHL executive 'his name is out there. He hasn't reached his potential and I don't know why'.

I suspect Treliving is looking to extract as much as he can from another team who thinks they can 'fix' Bennett.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #2707
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Bennett for Kapanen? The Maple Leafs Kapanen? Kasperi Kapanen?

Haha what a pipe dream.
Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

It depends entirely on what Dubas & Leafs hockey ops sees in Bennett. He would certainly add an element to their lineup that is nonexistent now that Kadri is gone. The other thing to consider from a Leafs perspective is, how many versions of Kasperi Kapanen does one team need?
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #2708
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe anyone has interest in Bennett believing they can turn him around. The guy is on pace for 9 goals and 14 points. Can someone point to another player that had 350ish games under his belt, has such attrocious numbers, and turned into a player on another team? Treliving is afraid of a unicorn here. This player doesn't exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #2709
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't believe for a second that Tre is afraid to trade Bennett "in case he turns his game around". Tre and the coaching staff know what Bennett is... a bottom 6 player with some jam. They are not playing him on the 4th line because they know he is just about to break out in to a top 6 player. He has been in the league long enough to know what he is.

I do think if Tre can magically make a deadline deal for a true top 6 forward that Bennett will be invovled.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #2710
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Daniel Cleary
Exception that proves the rule
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #2711
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fact that this thread is almost 2 years old is testimony to its self.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #2712
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Daniel Cleary
Exception that proves the rule
Not sure if he applies, but still, well done sir! 27 years old and scores his first 20 goal season after 406 games with three other organizations. Of course he had a season with Edmonton where he scored 14 goals and 35 points after his 3rd season in the minors, but never replicated until his second season with Detroit. His 40 point "breakout" year was not much better than his 35 points in Edmonton, and his career high of 46 points four years later was not much better, but it was a bit of a reclamation project that sort of worked out. I guess Bennett just has to find his way to a 4th team before breaking out!
Old 01-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #2713
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

You just know Sam is gonna bust out in Toronto, maybe not bust out offensively and become a Doug Gilmour or a Wendel Clark but Bennett could become a player along the lines of Tie Domi in terms of popularity. He'd become a fan favorite immediately just because he wears 93 for Gilmour. (Sam would probably switch to #39 if he became a Leaf)

Last edited by David Struch; 01-12-2020 at 01:05 PM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #2714
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
The fact that this thread is almost 2 years old is testimony to its self.
And it's just getting more and more pronounced (worse).

Bennett right now is on a 15 point pace shooting 7.3%.

Since Geoff ward took over on 10/30, Bennett's stat line looks like:

21gp / 2g / 1a / 12:20 TOI / 5.6% shooting

That's a 12 point pace since Ward took over and a 15 point pace on the season. This is, for the Flames, historically bad.

Since the lockout, the following flames players have played at least 65 games and scored 15 points or less:

Bouma 13-14
McCarty 05-06
Friesen 06-07
Kostopoulos 11-12
Stajan 17-18
Yelle 07-08
Lazar 17-18
Nystrom 08-09
McGrattan 13-14
Jackman 11-12
Godard 07-08

That's it. That's the entire list. Not many 'Solid 3rd liners' on that list.

I've seen some trade proposals on the board lately for Bennett, like 1 for 1 for Josh Anderson and I have to wonder, do posters on this board realize just how terrible this trend line is for Bennett?

70 forwards in the NHL this year have played at least 30 games and averaged between 10-13 minutes per game.

Bennett is 53 of 70 in points per game at .19 (Tied with Matt Martin, Toby Reider, Juhjar Khaira and Nate Thompson) He is 15th of 70 in TOI/GP. 59 of 70 in Even Strength points.

Among players who have played at least 20 games this year who play between 10-13 minutes per night, minor penalties taken:

Miles Wood 19 minors (45gp) (15pts) (aav 2.75)
Hartman 15 minors (45gp) (11pts) (aav 1.9)
Bennett 13 minors (32gp) (6pts) (aav 2.25)

Penalties drawn per 60 for the same isolation (20 games, 10-13 mins)

1. Hathaway
3. Miles Wood
4. Hartman
37. Bennett

Since Ward took over, Bennett has played just 4 games at 14 minutes or more per night, 9 times under 12 minutes. Bennett is solidly on the 4th line, not killing penalties while watching his PP minutes drop. He's bottoming out.

This is a player the organization is obviously trying to position for a trade, and yet the coach can't bring himself to find him any more minutes. Here's why:

Flames Record with Bennett over 14 minutes: 4-6
Flames Record with Bennett under 13 minutes: 12-8

Since January 1st, Bennett is averaging just 6 seconds per game on the Powerplay, having been supplanted firmly by Lucic and Ryan.

In the same span, he has averaged 0 seconds per game killing penalties.

In their last 15 games, Bennett has been outscored by Mike Frickin' Stone who I had actually forgotten was still with the team.

Josh Anderson is having a terrible year in terms of production, but still finds himself playing between 16-18 minutes per night on a team that finds themselves 1 point back of Toronto. Anderson is shooting just 1.6% and still sees himself on pace for 12 points, the pace Bennett has established for himself since Ward took over.

Bennett's value has now declined to that of a 4th liner, because despite protestations to the contrary, that's what he is.

The question of whether the flames have held on too long has long since been answered in the affirmative. The question now is, can a team be fooled into believing he's a 3rd line player? Can Bennett still be used as a piece in a multi-asset deal to bring back something substantial, or will the Flames just hold onto him, "laughing off" "lowball" offers for a 4th line player?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #2715
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I can't believe anyone has interest in Bennett believing they can turn him around. The guy is on pace for 9 goals and 14 points. Can someone point to another player that had 350ish games under his belt, has such attrocious numbers, and turned into a player on another team? Treliving is afraid of a unicorn here. This player doesn't exist.
NHL GM's are pretty arrogant. Trades to try and get more out of a player which never pan out are pretty common.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #2716
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I believe everyone has a right to their own opinion but I do cringe a little every time a poster makes the argument that Bennett was never given 1st line minutes. Or asks how can he be truly evaluated unless he spends a solid chunk of time in the top 6 playing with top 6 players? They want to show us data of TOI and linemates he's been playing with. I don't believe any of that is relevant. Bennett has shown us who he is. Calgary will either accept that or move him out in a trade imo.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #2717
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
An NHL GM just fired his coach, who had taken an expansion team to the Stanley Cup final in their first year, hadn't finished worse than 2nd in their division, and was within 2 points of first in the division again, for 'performance issues'. NHL GMs do weird things, so it's definitely possible one of them would think they were the team to turn Bennett around.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:20 PM   #2718
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
NHL GM's are pretty arrogant. Trades to try and get more out of a player which never pan out are pretty common.
I'm not disagreeing with you overall point, but there are enough examples of a player actually turning into something more that it probably causes GMs to believe they can do it too.
Recent examples of this year: Ryan Strome and Anthony Duclair
Perhaps to a lesser extent Nikushkin
So the reclamation projects sometimes work out and often have low risk, low probability but high reward.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #2719
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to differ from the Bennett hate fest (value wise), but if he is traded to the Leafs, with their lack of depth on the left wing, he will be guaranteed time 5v5 with either Matthews or Taveras, and likely PP time.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 01-17-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #2720
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I hate to differ from the Bennett hate fest (value wise), but if he is traded to the Leafs, with their lack of depth on the left wing, he will be guaranteed time 5v5 with either Matthews or Taveras, and likely PP time.
If the leafs are using a combination of matthews, marner, tavares and nylander as pairs in their top six that leaves hyman and kapanen as the third man on the top two lines. I dont see Bennett passing either one of those two to earn a spot on the top two lines
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote