Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2020, 08:00 PM   #2681
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Sam Bennett's points would eventually come playing alongside Auston Matthews & Mitch Marner or John Tavares & William Nylander.
He would last 1 period with Matthews and 3 shifts with Tavares before they realize he has a hockey IQ of a grape.

Not sure if there are stats but i'm sure he is top 5 in offensive zone penalties the past 4 years.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #2682
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol hockey IQ of a grape haha
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #2683
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennett for Puljujarvi, it’s time.
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dragomir For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #2684
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Sam only played 10:24 against the Wild, dead last in ice-time.

And the game before that against the Hawks, Bennett only saw the ice for 10:38.
Ya but what line was he on?

Follow-up question: did the flames win those games?

Last edited by Flash Walken; 01-11-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #2685
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Bennett for Puljujarvi, it’s time.
Hockey IQ of a grape for hockey IQ of a potato? Not sure we win that.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #2686
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm not even sure Bennett will be offered a one-way NHL contract once this one is up. He's getting worse, not better.
That is a terrible take.

Bennett has been a top nine forward in production over his career, is a top six when it comes to chance generation, has clear intangibles, and shows up for big games.

If the Flames offer him a one way he'll just finish the rest of his career in the NHL some where else (and it won't be a handful of games)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #2687
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

His career trajectory looks like it will be devante Smith pelly
Old 01-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #2688
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Sam Bennett and Mark Jankowski are the two most boring players to watch, hands down. They contribute absolutely nothing to the team and are replacement level players. Were it not for their draft positions we'd have said bon voyage to them long ago.

I believe both have the skills but lack the drive or the mentorship to get above replacement level. Skill doesn't pay the bills, and this year I've been wishing we kept Hathaway over either of these duds.
Just statistically not true.

The need to push Bennett off the roster is such an odd extreme.

I think we can all agree he hasn't panned out to the level of his draft pick, but the obsession with making it out to be worse than it is is puzzling.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 04:04 PM   #2689
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a useless and lazy player. Look forward to the day he is no longer on the team and replaced by someone who can actually make a play and doesn't take idiotic penalties.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #2690
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

It really isn't that puzzling though Bingo.

The guy is on a 16 point pace this season. 16!! That is dreadful for a 2.5 million dollar forward.

Someone suggested a while ago that he get moved back to C on the 4th line and replace Jankowski there, which isn't a bad idea (Jankowski should not be playing NHL hockey right now but I digress) and that's about where he slots on this club now. Trouble is, a 4th line player simply should not be paid like that in a salary cap world. Surely the club can find 20 point players for much less money....no?

Just watching the guy play the last 3 seasons is all the information one needs. He is so unaware offensively, it hurts. Also it seems the more he plays in a game, the worse he performs.

I love guys with jam and who aren't afraid to blast opponents through the boards when presented the opportunity, and he does that quite well at times. He simply cannot be paid like someone who does that AND provides offensive abilities though. Because he doesn't do that.

I get why BT is afraid to see him blossom elsewhere but that cannot be the reason to not move him if he is getting something back that makes this club better...because Sam Bennett does not do that at this point.

We've been waiting for this big progression from him for 4 years now and its becoming pretty clear that isn't happening, at least not in Calgary. So use him as bait to get a piece that actually improves the team instead of someone who does nothing but "not hurt" the club.

Tonight is the kind of game where he should be a major factor...we will see if he does so but Im not holding my breath. Obviously it would be great for everyone if he did...but how much longer can we keep hoping something happens with him instead of cutting the line and trying something/someone else?
Old 01-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #2691
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great post tranny.

If true that the reason he hasn't been dealt is the fear he takes off elsewhere is a pretty damning commentary about the GM imo.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #2692
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Great post tranny.

If true that the reason he hasn't been dealt is the fear he takes off elsewhere is a pretty damning commentary about the GM imo.
That was speculation from Elliot earlier this week. He also said that GM's are lowballing on their offers when Bennetts name is mentioned, so i would agree with BT not moving him in that case.

He does need to be available though, and im sure he is, (as part of a package or whatever) if there is something being offered that helps the club.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #2693
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

A lot of us Flames fans were hesitant about dealing Sven Baertschi (for fear of him blossoming somewhere else) but hey, that sure worked out awesome didn't it! (Rasmus Andersson)
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #2694
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bennett truly has value around the league, then have someone overpay for him. Treliving should accept an offer from a team that doesn’t lowball.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #2695
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
That was speculation from Elliot earlier this week. He also said that GM's are lowballing on their offers when Bennetts name is mentioned, so i would agree with BT not moving him in that case.

He does need to be available though, and im sure he is, (as part of a package or whatever) if there is something being offered that helps the club.
Lowballing in relation to his draft position or in relation to what he does on this ice? Because if it's lowballing in relation to what he does on the ice, I would love to see these offers. A mop bucket? An old Tahiti Treat vending machine?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #2696
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Lowballing in relation to his draft position or in relation to what he does on this ice? Because if it's lowballing in relation to what he does on the ice, I would love to see these offers. A mop bucket? An old Tahiti Treat vending machine?
Exactly.

I'm hesitant to discuss the team leaking information to Friedman for obvious reasons, but are the teams that are making offers for Bennett telling Elliott 'oh ya, we totally gave treliving a garbage offer for Bennett because we love to troll him and think it's worth it to damage a relationship with a GM.'

Or is likelier that Elliott is getting this info from the flames? Is everyone in the NHL just trying to screw with Tre or is it possible the flames either overvalue him or worse, don't want to take a chance on a trade that improves the team if it means Bennett is successful somewhere else making the flames look bad?

The Friedman reporting on the flames this year is super weird. Super duper chatty on flames management opinions and activity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #2697
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Just a useless and lazy player. Look forward to the day he is no longer on the team and replaced by someone who can actually make a play and doesn't take idiotic penalties.

Well done. Useful post, with tons of effort put in.

Haha
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #2698
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect the flames place a value on the player based on a number of factors including performance this year, historic performance and long term potential with the latter admittedly likely being lower than last thought but still a factor
So if a team is offering a fringe prospect or a third round pick is that a low ball offer?
It has to be worth it to move him.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #2699
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames value Bennett as much as a 12/13th depth forward. At least that's the role he's been given and earned this year. I wonder what a low ball offer looks like for a 12th/13th depth forward.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #2700
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if it has been posted, but in Eric D's notebook in this weeks Athletic he puts forward a Bennett for Kapeninen deal. Have to think this would get Treliving's interest.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote