Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #241
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I think the organization failed Bennett. A whole season of suck and the highest pick in Flames history and he was the prize.

Just looking back at him fresh out of junior and he looks like a completely different player. Much more confident with his moves. He looks quicker too... maybe a bit too many bench presses and bicep curls?

We did not draft a bust, but we might have developed one. He should have been groomed to be a future star. Killer comparisons get thrown out all the time, but one I really liked was Toews. Fast, slick hands, 2 way threat and an allstar. He could have been that (and he may still become that, he isn't a finished product). Besides playing with Backlund where he saw his most success, he's never really not been the best player on his own line... Or it's always been close. This season he's seen nearly 50% of his even strength ice time with Janko & Hathaway. Hathaway is a fourth liner on most teams and Jankowski is an even less experienced rookie. Last season it was Brouwer & Versteeg. I strongly believe Bennett needed (and still now needs) his Hudler. Look what he did for Monahan and Gaudreau. Tkachuk got Backlund and got to stay there. The only move this organization did to help in Bennett's development was bringing in Brouwer... Other than that he's been playing with the leftovers since his rookie season ended.

Bennett was a better player than Draisaitl coming out of junior.

(http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-d...pect-rankings/

Here Bennett is ranked ahead of Leon by every single main scouting service covering the 2014 draft)

Draisaitl looked like a mess and had to sent back to the WHL after falling flat on his face. Bennett returned from a major shoulder injury, played 20 games in the OHL and jumped into the NHL playoffs and not only not looked out of place, but he was exceptional. That next season the Oilers were smart and glued Draisaitl to Taylor Hall's hip. Bennett was solid too in his campaign beside Backlund. If that wasn't enough, Draisaitl then got an even better linemate the following season in McGenerational, while Bennett was downgraded to Brouwer. Bennett aside from a few stints with Gaudreau here and there, never has had the luxury of playing besides an elite linemate.

Some players can come from junior and be impact players, and some need to be lead in that direction. I truly believe Sam Bennett had that potential, he just didn't go to the right team that was able to help him utilize it.
To me, the player has the responsilty thrusted upon them to be the best they can be every night. What we saw in December vs what we’re seeing from him now is night and day. He literally has reverted back to his old ways at a time when we need him the most.

The thing that scares me about Bennett is that he doesn’t really possess an outstanding quality. He does a lot of things well, but he doesn’t have that one attribute that gives him an edge in game. He doesn’t have great puck control or vision like Johnny, he doesn’t have the size or finish of Monahan, he doesn’t have the shot or hockey sense that Ferland has, he doesn’t play a heavy game like Tkachuk does, he doesn’t skate as well as Backlund nor can he defend as well as him and Frolik.

I just don’t see an outstanding quality that he brings to the table that can supplant one of our top 6 players. On top of that he takes a ton of bad penalties that hurts the team and negates a lot of his positives he brings on a nightly basis. Maybe one day he’ll be the player that everyone thinks he can be, but I’ll bet the patience is running thin from upper management.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #242
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I think that's absolutely a valid consideration. I'm just tired of seeing people call him garbage and worthless, while assuming this is his peak at 21.
I think everyone is still venting from the last game. Kid has potential, but in the most important stretch of the season, he’s not bringing his A game and the sheer number of penalties he’s take lately has been infuriating.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #243
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I think that's absolutely a valid consideration. I'm just tired of seeing people call him garbage and worthless, while assuming this is his peak at 21.
I agree that garbage and worthless are bad terms to use, but Bennett really isn't inspiring much confidence in myself and many other fans. He's regressed in all major statistical categories every single year he's played. He's not passing the eye test either. Outside of one hot streak in December he's looked totally uninterested. I don't see the feistiness or tenacity that I saw a few years ago.

I appreciate that Bingo pulled up those stats, but if you have to dig that deep to find positive statistics you might be in trouble. I didn't even know they tracked half of those stats, that's how obscure they were.

I still maintain that trading Bennett isn't worth it. He won't fetch a good return, he's worth more to the Flames to keep and hope he can figure it out.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #244
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been pretty disappointed with Bennett this year, but I think I'm guilty of impatience.

I find this website fun to compare players;

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seaso...ers-stats.html

Sorry, not a fancy stat comparison ......There's a few comparables to Bennett in today's top 20 scorers. Obviously a lot of elites who performed at a high end right from the start, but guys like Bailey, Wheeler, Schenn had similar stats when they were Bennett's age. I'm still disappointed in Bennett's production to date, but I think there's still reason to hope he'll reach the potential we're all waiting for him to reach.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #245
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sam Bennett Value: Have the Flames held on TOO long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I've been pretty disappointed with Bennett this year, but I think I'm guilty of impatience.

I find this website fun to compare players;

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seaso...ers-stats.html

Sorry, not a fancy stat comparison ......There's a few comparables to Bennett in today's top 20 scorers. Obviously a lot of elites who performed at a high end right from the start, but guys like Bailey, Wheeler, Schenn had similar stats when they were Bennett's age. I'm still disappointed in Bennett's production to date, but I think there's still reason to hope he'll reach the potential we're all waiting for him to reach.

Good post.

The thing with Sam as well right now - who else would we play at his position?

None of the other young players have proven to be ready. So while Sam is inconsistent, he’s our best option right now - and if your alternative is trading Sam for an older more proven player, then you deal with the consequences of that trade for years to come.

He’s our 3rd line LW. Look around the league at 3rd line LW’ers and adjust your expectations. The best asset management course right now is to stay the course. He’s also our leading scorer from our bottom 6 forwards, so everyone focusing in on his failures seem to be ignoring the fact that he’s the best player we have in that group. The GM’s job should be about improving the bottom 6 by adding good players, not by subtracting the best in that group.

Patience is a virtue. As Bingo showed earlier, and as AC has mentioned, Bennett is doing a lot of good things that aren’t registering on the board for the team (but hopefully will at some point), and Bennett was our best forward in 1 of the 4 months so far this season. There’s reasons to show patience and not condemn him after every mistake.

Look at Lazar’s progress this year, and how many people around here wanted him fired into the sun months ago.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-10-2018 at 01:55 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #246
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not what have you done for me lately for a lot of folks regarding Bennett, it's what have you done for me this minute. The leash is too tight.

Let's see what happens down the final stretch and hopefully into the playoffs. Two playoff series Bennett has been in he has been a positive difference maker.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #247
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Good post.

The thing with Sam as well right now - who else would we play at his position?

None of the other young players have proven to be ready. So while Sam is inconsistent, he’s our best option right now - and if your alternative is trading Sam for an older more proven player, then you deal with the consequences of that trade for years to come.

He’s our 3rd line LW. Look around the league at 3rd line LW’ers and adjust your expectations. The best asset management course right now is to stay the course. He’s also our leading scorer from our bottom 6 forwards, so everyone focusing in on his failures seem to be ignoring the fact that he’s the best player we have in that group. The GM’s job should be about improving the bottom 6 by adding good players, not by subtracting the best in that group.

Patience is a virtue. As Bingo showed earlier, and as AC has mentioned, Bennett is doing a lot of good things that aren’t registering on the board for the team (but hopefully will at some point), and Bennett was our best forward in 1 of the 4 months so far this season. There’s reasons to show patience and not condemn him after every mistake.

Look at Lazar’s progress this year, and how many people around here wanted him fired into the sun months ago.
Anybody, because it doesn't matter since Sam has been doing less than nothing of late. Try Lazar there since he as at least one elite skill that can be useful for offense, and hopefully he doesn't take the lazy penalty which actually would make that line better than the last 3 weeks.

I dont trade the kid at this point, but there is certainly a case to be made for him to hit the press box for a couple games. Put whomever in his spot and see what happens. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then who cares since you aren't losing anything to begin with and are just at status quo.

And that last paragraph...what progress has Lazar made at all? He has been just as useful as last year...that is to say, not very.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #248
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
There's something to be said about Reinhardt and Draisatl going ahead of Bennett despite Bennett being ranked higher by scouting agencies, and it's not because the panthers, Oilers and the sabres are a collection of morons. (Ekblad was most likely to go first). Obviously there were some doubts with the three teams that had a chance to pick him.
that’s not to say the same order of players get drafted if any other teams hold those picks. Edmonton drafted draisaitl over bennett because of the size difference and that was before they had brought in lucic, maroon, kassian etc. they needed a larger center after the frail ryan nugent-hopkins
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #249
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
that’s not to say the same order of players get drafted if any other teams hold those picks. Edmonton drafted draisaitl over bennett because of the size difference and that was before they had brought in lucic, maroon, kassian etc. they needed a larger center after the frail ryan nugent-hopkins
They drafted Draisatl because they thought he was the better player.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #250
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
They drafted Draisatl because they thought he was the better player.
and fit for their team
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #251
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

How i wish we could send him to the AHL.
It's a confidence issue at this point. He needs to play a number of games where he's not only dominating the competition but that it actually shows up on the score board.

Will probably never happen, but what if they put him with Johnny for a few games and see what happens. Maybe that'll get him going.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #252
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He looks like a different player in first year highlights because he has no pressure and no responsibility. And they're highlights. I'll also point out there's a lot of hustle there but not much finish. His isn't high, and he's learning the defensive game. Unfortunately he's let that affect his confidence, and he'd be better served dominating the AHL at this point. In retrospect he should have been there the whole time. But people get impatient, including Sam. He'll be fine, like Michael Backlund, although perhaps never living up to his 4th pick potential.

People need to breathe. Can't believe the rush to sell kids at the lowest value. I'm so glad the NHL is run by actual professionals

Last edited by sempuki; 02-10-2018 at 05:35 PM.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #253
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
How i wish we could send him to the AHL.
It's a confidence issue at this point. He needs to play a number of games where he's not only dominating the competition but that it actually shows up on the score board.

Will probably never happen, but what if they put him with Johnny for a few games and see what happens. Maybe that'll get him going.
It’s not about what’s best for Sam. It’s about what’s best for the team. I wouldn’t touch the top 2 lines as they’re the only reason why we’ve won the amount of games we’ve won this season.

The 4th line has actually been better than the 3rd line for weeks now, I wouldn’t be opposed to playing them more than the 3rd line until the Bennett-Jankowski line prove they deserve more ice time. They somehow managed to do it in December so why not February or March?
Old 02-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #254
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
He looks like a different player in first year highlights because he has no pressure and no responsibility. And they're highlights. I'll also point out there's a lot of hustle there but not much finish. His isn't high, and he's learning the defensive game. Unfortunately he's let that affect his confidence, and he'd be better served dominating the AHL eat this point. In retrospect he should have been there the whole time. But people get impatient, including Sam. He'll be fine, like Michael Backlund, although perhaps never living up to his 4th pick potential. People need to breathe. I'm so glad the NHL is run by actual professionals
It takes some balls to send down a 19year old kid who just came off an 18/18 rookie season. In retrospect that would have been the smart thing to do last year when he wasn't playing too well. I feel like playing C in the AHL would have done wonders for him.
Sometimes, to keep pushing and pushing at the NHL level is a surefire way to destroy someones confidence.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #255
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not much is more frustrating than drafting a guy ranked 1st overall by many and a few years later it hasn't quite worked out as planned. You also see guys picked later looking like absolute stars in Nylander, Ehlers and Pasternak, to name a few. It stings even more since a couple of them are right hand shots - something in short supply on the Flames roster.

It's also bitter sweet watching players like Tkachuk get drafted a couple years after him and is already providing more to the team. You see guys like him and Monahan jump straight in continue to succeed and wonder what went wrong with Benny.

It's frustrating I know, but it would be even worse to trade him now because his value is way down. You should hang on to the guy and see if he figures it out before his next contract is up.

He is the youngest player on the roster for friggs sake!
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #256
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Asked about the performance of his depth forwards in a 4-3 loss to the New York Rangers, he was curt.

“Our third line … I didn’t see them,” he spat, before making a quick exit from Madison Square Garden for a Saturday off in Manhattan.

Gulutzan’s post-game displeasure Friday also included calling Bennett’s costly holding penalty late in the game “dumb.” The infraction led to the Rangers’ winning goal. To be fair, Bennett’s penchant for bad penalties had been curbed of late.

The coach’s confidence in them is dwindling, as is reflected in their diminished icetime.
http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/...-disappearance
Old 02-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #257
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Grant McCagg from recrutes thinks Bennett (with perhaps a slight add) would be good value for Pacioretty

Grant McCagg
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg
Keep reading that there will be better options than Bennett..a top five pick form 2014 who is just 21. If the Flames decide to trade Bennett...you get him! Is there some gamble? Sure...or you'd never get him, and the reward could be tremendous. Thomas is NOT going to be traded
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #258
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty frustrating.

This team could really be something, but Bennett's stalled offensive development, Brouwer's offensive game falling off the face of the earth, Janko hitting a rookie wall, and the rest of the 2013 and 2014 draft classes completely whiffing (Poirier, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk, Smith) has left this teams bottom 6 forward group a black hole offensively.

Now it's either patiently wait and see if they can turn it around, or spend more assets shoring up what looks to be the last hole this roster has to left to fill.

Paul Byron would be nice to have right about now though, I don't mind saying. Or even Sven Baertschi, though that one you can't really hang around Treliving's neck. Those two have a combined 25 goals so far this season. More than Stajan, Lazar, Brouwer, Familton, Hathaway, Lomberg, Glass, Mangiapane, Hrivic and Versteeg have combined.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #259
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Pretty frustrating.

This team could really be something, but Bennett's stalled offensive development, Brouwer's offensive game falling off the face of the earth, Janko hitting a rookie wall, and the rest of the 2013 and 2014 draft classes completely whiffing (Poirier, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk, Smith) has left this teams bottom 6 forward group a black hole offensively.

Now it's either patiently wait and see if they can turn it around, or spend more assets shoring up what looks to be the last hole this roster has to left to fill.

Paul Byron would be nice to have right about now though, I don't mind saying. Or even Sven Baertschi, though that one you can't really hang around Treliving's neck. Those two have a combined 25 goals so far this season. More than Stajan, Lazar, Brouwer, Familton, Hathaway, Lomberg, Glass, Mangiapane, Hrivic and Versteeg have combined.
Yes, very frustrating. If Bennett were to have taken a meaningful step forward this year, the Flames are a much better, much deeper team, maybe even a legitimate contender.

The third line is, and has been, a boat anchor for this team.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #260
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Please don't trade anyone before a new coach is here.
Quoted for truth.

No point trading Bennett at any time in the near future.
Not enough value.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote