Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #201
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the jobs that are open right now I feel like Dallas would be the preferred choice of Laviolette.

Good goalie, young d-core, some talent up front, American market.

I do wonder if he would look at holding out for the Rangers job if they look at moving on from Quinn though. He's an east coast guy, played his only NHL games for the Rangers, and played in that organization for a while.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #202
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I have no idea if Laviolette would be interested in a Canadian city, but I am not sure what better opportunity is likely to surface. Teams usually fire coaches because the team sucks. Calgary (and to be fair, Dallas) fired the coach for a different reason and I think joining a relatively young team with a very reasonable shot at the playoffs from the get go is about as good as it gets.
You'd have to wait and see what happens in the playoffs. Do you think Jon Cooper survives if Tampa Bay loses in the first round again? How about Mike Sullivan if Pittsburgh loses in the first round? I think there are a number of championship caliber teams that are a disappointing playoff performance away from firing their coach. Throw in the fact that you've got someone like Laviolette waiting in the wings and it creates an even greater incentive to dump your coach.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #203
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Looking at the jobs that are open right now I feel like Dallas would be the preferred choice of Laviolette.

Good goalie, young d-core, some talent up front, American market.

I do wonder if he would look at holding out for the Rangers job if they look at moving on from Quinn though. He's an east coast guy, played his only NHL games for the Rangers, and played in that organization for a while.
Their D corps is sorta young but I'm not sure how good overall it is - Heiskenan and Lindell, sure, but after that I'm not sure what they have. The goaltending is good but both are 33. And the main question with them is how long the talent up front holds out - all the main guys are older, except Seguin (and he seems old to me) and have long contracts. They have Hintz coming along nicely, and maybe a couple other guys will work out, but its a funny looking team on paper.

That all said, I would think Dallas is the front runner if he wants to work this season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #204
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
When it comes to Americans you always wonder about the family factor when it comes to moving to a different country. It's possible he may actually want to coach a Canadian team which has a history of employing a lot of US-borne personnel, so fans shouldn't be quick to assume that the Flames will not be on his radar, even if there are openings in American cities.
Yeah but he brought up family which means it's not all about him. Will his wife want to move to Canada and have their kids brought up in Canadian schools? Maybe she's a fair weather American that doesn't like cold and snow? There are lots of factors and I'm not trying to be negative and that he's not going to consider the Flames and more saying that if he doesn't get interviewed or hired to coach the Flames, people bashing Treliving or Flames owners for being cheap may be misguided as there's clearly variables in play for the Laviolette family in that they are looking for the best fit which may not necessarily be with the Flames.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #205
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Dallas isn't a far move from Nashville. Seems like a logical fit from a lot of angles.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote