Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-24-2019, 12:18 AM   #121
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
They do, check the tired/rested posts in the Oilers thread. This is why Flames fans complain about the tired team and backup goalie on b2b games.
I kind of want to but the Oilers are no good (ipso facto), the Flames are obviously better, and no amount of advantage the league seems to give them flips the script, to the point where E is anything but NG
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:22 AM   #122
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t see the game so appreciate the good takes.

Seems typical - Flames never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:31 AM   #123
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ Which opportunity?

The Wild just got beaten 6-0 by Winnipeg, entering today being rested, while Calgary played yesterday. 6-0 isn’t a normal score. It’s a beat down. They should have had some fire in their bellies

The resultant 3- 0 (including an empty netter) tonight isn’t the same disaster to which Minnesota was just responding.

It actually seems like an exceedingly reasonable narrative.

Tired team facing rested angry team with chip on shoulder drops the ball on two passes out front, and can’t muster a goal.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Rest up and get ready for the Greasers
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 12:33 AM   #124
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Still though, 26 teams played today, almost the entire league. All of them scored at least a goal......except the Flames.

That trend will prove costly me thinks. There’s an element of luck involved no doubt but a good team doesn’t struggle to score this much. Maybe we aren’t a top team or good team, but surely we’re better than this. I’ll chalk this game up to lame scheduling, tired legs, and the Holiday season. But this team is going to have get down to business and get it done here or we’ll see the continuing cycle of playoffs - no playoffs.

Honestly not even mad, legit disappointed.
Sure, but some of them gave up 6,7,8 goals
Old 12-24-2019, 01:11 AM   #125
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the record for the number of times that the Flames have been shut out during a season?

It seems like it has happened quite a few times this year.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:51 AM   #126
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
What is the record for the number of times that the Flames have been shut out during a season?

It seems like it has happened quite a few times this year.
Time for some SHUTOUT FACTS:

It's been five this year through just 39 games. The Flames were shut out five times all of last year, which, considering how few games they lost, is kind of surprising. Five is a lot of shutouts.

The all-time record for most shutout losses in a Flames season is 10, set in 2002-03. In that season, the Flames went on a truly atrocious 1-10-0-1 stretch in November which saw them lose four games in shutout fashion and in which their only win came against the equally bad Blackhawks. No surprise -- the Flames had three coaches that year.

The 2000-01 Flames and 2001-02 Flames both lost eight games in shutout fashion. Three straight years of eight-or-more shutouts... rough. That's what losing Fleury does, I guess.

The 2013-14 team was also real bad. They had a stretch where they were shut out five times in seven games. They suffered eight shutouts that year.

The 2006-07 team managed to go the whole year without being shut out, which is pretty impressive. So did the 1989-90 and 1990-91 Flames. As is Flames custom over the last three decades, all three of these teams lost in the first round of the playoffs. (The 1983-84 and 1982-83 Flames teams also avoided being shut out, but made up for it by adhering to the team's custom for its first decade of existence, Smith gaffe aside: losing to the Oilers in the second round of the playoffs).

The 1988-89 Cup team was shut out twice, to Winnipeg and Edmonton. Both of these teams entered the NHL at the same time -- 1979, after the WHA merger. The two teams they shut out? Vancouver and Buffalo. Once again, both of these teams entered the NHL at the same time -- 1970, as expansion teams.

My personal favourite fact: none of Guy Charron's 13 games as coach in 1991-92 ever ended with a shutout score, but the two directly preceding his appointment as coach both did. Before being fired mid-season, Doug Risebrough lost 3-0 at home to Philadelphia and then, astoundingly, 11-0 to Vancouver. "Riser" never coached in the NHL again; the Vancouver loss still stands as the Flames' worst shutout defeat ever, and the seventh-largest in NHL history.

Finally, Jim Playfair remains the only full-time Flames coach to ever go a full tenure without suffering a shutout defeat. Indeed, Playfair has a perfect record of avoiding shutouts in his entire career as an NHL bench boss: 82 games coached, no shutouts.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #127
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The Flames need to simply give a better effort.

So what if they were 2 quick games, all teams have to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lord knows i'm putting in 110% at work a day before I go home for the holidays and see my family I haven't seen for 3 months.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #128
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
They are not driving to the airport, going through security and waiting at their gate. It is just over 2 hours of flying time (852 miles) depending on conditions,not cross country as some have said.

No players or coaches used it as an excuse for the media, only fans. I’m not buying the “mind was willing but the body was weak” excuse personally. That doesn’t account for laying an egg.
Okay, well I wasn't fully versed in American geography so I didn't think saying cross country for a state at the very top and a state at the very bottom of the country would be controversial or wrong.

I guess I see your point looking at the map, as top to bottom in the US isn't as long as sea to sea, but still weird semantics to say it isn't cross country.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #129
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As is usual with this team, if there's an excuse out there this group grabs it by the horns and uses it.

I could definitely understand the team running out of steam in the second half of the game and losing due to fatigue. This wasn't the case. This was a team that couldn't execute simple plays anywhere on the ice from puck drop.

It's one game, at the same time, with how crappy they have been so far this season, they have really used up any good will from this fan.

I definitely think this team is overrated by us. They can't score and don't generate much 5v5. They are worse defensively which is kind of shocking. Giordano, Hamonic, Hanafin have all been subpar to expectations. I have been surprisingly impressed with stone.

If treliving doesn't trade hamonic for just about anything before the deadline I'm going to really drop my faith in him being a pragmatic manager of this group.

The fact that the Pacific leaders are wild card level compared to the other conference is really indicative of the quality of the division. Sad that the flames, a team that everyone thought was on the rise, have fallen off so much.

This is going to be a sad place should the flames lose the next game (imagine losing to the oil and nucks consecutively). I wouldn't put it past them, they are of the same quality as the oilers and nucks this season.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #130
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hanifin/Hamonic is a sh*tty pairing

Make trade pls.

Merry Christmas
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #131
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
My personal favourite fact: none of Guy Charron's 13 games as coach in 1991-92 ever ended with a shutout score, but the two directly preceding his appointment as coach both did. Before being fired mid-season, Doug Risebrough lost 3-0 at home to Philadelphia and then, astoundingly, 11-0 to Vancouver. "Riser" never coached in the NHL again; the Vancouver loss still stands as the Flames' worst shutout defeat ever, and the seventh-largest in NHL history.

Doug was the GM at the time and basically fired himself after those two shutout losses.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #132
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Doug was the GM at the time and basically fired himself after those two shutout losses.
I believe that Canuck game was one of the 25 or 30 that was on TV that season. Every chance the Canucks had, went in. One couldn’t imagine the social media fallout from a loss like that now.

Earlier that year, the Flames had gotten shutout for the first time in 190 games or so. And on the other hand they had wins of 9-1 and 10-3 earlier in the year.

And GRANT POLLOCK along with Lownsborough did the Sports at 11 show that night and was inconsolable, whereas he was the cheerleader of the team in those days.

Amazing how quickly things went out of control after that Game 6 loss in 1990 vs LAK. The hasty ownership decision to fire Crisp and let go a bunch of players, led to the only GM the Flames had had in Fletcher realizing the madness and getting himself out a year later, throwing the organization into chaos, leaving an unprepared person as GM and coach. The franchise never truly recovered until 2003.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #133
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Still though, 26 teams played today, almost the entire league. All of them scored at least a goal......except the Flames.

That trend will prove costly me thinks. There’s an element of luck involved no doubt but a good team doesn’t struggle to score this much. Maybe we aren’t a top team or good team, but surely we’re better than this. I’ll chalk this game up to lame scheduling, tired legs, and the Holiday season. But this team is going to have get down to business and get it done here or we’ll see the continuing cycle of playoffs - no playoffs.

Honestly not even mad, legit disappointed.
The Flames scored a goal. Should have counted, and it would have changed the game IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #134
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I don't really blame them for looking bagged after flying the length of the US after playing 20 hours before.
Yeah,being chauferred to a private hanger,flying 2.5 hours in chartered jet,then whisked to your hotel must be absolutely exhausting for a young superbly conditioned professional athlete...
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #135
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
Yeah,being chauferred to a private hanger,flying 2.5 hours in chartered jet,then whisked to your hotel must be absolutely exhausting for a young superbly conditioned professional athlete...
They get out of the arena probably an hour after the game at least. It’s a bus to the airport. They wait for a while before flying because even though it’s private, the skies aren’t. They land, deplane, load baggage, drive another 30-40 minutes, check in typically at something like 3 am. Then they have to wake early enough to eat properly, have the team meeting and then prep for the game. It ain’t as easy as you make out. It’s a major departure from routine, which a lot of athletes live by.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #136
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
Yup. It's why away teams playing in a back to back are winless in the history of the NHL
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #137
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Hanifin/Hamonic is a sh*tty pairing

Make trade pls.

Merry Christmas
It's a headscratcher tbh.

They haven't been particularly good together at any point in time since their formation, and were probably the weakest pairing in the playoffs

And yet here we are, and the pairing is still intact half a season later.

Can't put Rasmus in there for a bit, see how it goes? Don't get it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #138
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Time for some SHUTOUT FACTS:

It's been five this year through just 39 games. The Flames were shut out five times all of last year, which, considering how few games they lost, is kind of surprising. Five is a lot of shutouts.

The all-time record for most shutout losses in a Flames season is 10, set in 2002-03. In that season, the Flames went on a truly atrocious 1-10-0-1 stretch in November which saw them lose four games in shutout fashion and in which their only win came against the equally bad Blackhawks. No surprise -- the Flames had three coaches that year.

The 2000-01 Flames and 2001-02 Flames both lost eight games in shutout fashion. Three straight years of eight-or-more shutouts... rough. That's what losing Fleury does, I guess.

The 2013-14 team was also real bad. They had a stretch where they were shut out five times in seven games. They suffered eight shutouts that year.

The 2006-07 team managed to go the whole year without being shut out, which is pretty impressive. So did the 1989-90 and 1990-91 Flames. As is Flames custom over the last three decades, all three of these teams lost in the first round of the playoffs. (The 1983-84 and 1982-83 Flames teams also avoided being shut out, but made up for it by adhering to the team's custom for its first decade of existence, Smith gaffe aside: losing to the Oilers in the second round of the playoffs).

The 1988-89 Cup team was shut out twice, to Winnipeg and Edmonton. Both of these teams entered the NHL at the same time -- 1979, after the WHA merger. The two teams they shut out? Vancouver and Buffalo. Once again, both of these teams entered the NHL at the same time -- 1970, as expansion teams.

Finally, Jim Playfair remains the only full-time Flames coach to ever go a full tenure without suffering a shutout defeat. Indeed, Playfair has a perfect record of avoiding shutouts in his entire career as an NHL bench boss: 82 games coached, no shutouts.
one of my favorite quirky Flames NHL records

https://www.nhl.com/news/seven-team-...-time/c-641433

Longest non-shutout streak: 264 games (Calgary Flames, Nov. 12, 1981-Jan. 9, 1985)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post: