Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #2161
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very nice looking watch. But can it talk to Strava?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #2162
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

that statshunters website is pretty cool.

Yesterday i pulled the trigger and ordered a lighting setup from outbound. by the time all is said and done it will be around $450; however, i am concerned about being hit with duty whoch would push the price up.

i like this set up because it comes with both a helmet light and a bar light.

i also considered the gemini titan 4000 as it was about $425 at dunbar and chain reaction had the 2500 for $280 or so plus their fees which would have pushed it up to at least $350 for 1500 less lumens.

the outbound kit was highly rated by pinkbikewho notes that meausring lumens is not always the right way to think about lighting.

the thing i hate about working at home is that the wife sees what is coming in and sometimes asks questions
Old 09-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #2163
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
that statshunters website is pretty cool.

Yesterday i pulled the trigger and ordered a lighting setup from outbound. by the time all is said and done it will be around $450; however, i am concerned about being hit with duty whoch would push the price up.

i like this set up because it comes with both a helmet light and a bar light.

i also considered the gemini titan 4000 as it was about $425 at dunbar and chain reaction had the 2500 for $280 or so plus their fees which would have pushed it up to at least $350 for 1500 less lumens.

the outbound kit was highly rated by pinkbikewho notes that meausring lumens is not always the right way to think about lighting.

the thing i hate about working at home is that the wife sees what is coming in and sometimes asks questions

Why do you feel you need so much light? Where are you riding that you need so much? And is this for a single unit or combined?

Then again I'm still impressed at my ~1000lumen setup (which I've had for over 5 years) compared to my old 15W Nightstick.

Did a gravel ride last night out in Bragg area with a few other folks. After years of night riding on mountain bikes doing a night gravel ride was a first. Pretty cool actually although the two ######-bag trucks that had to pass sure kicked up a lot of blinding dust. We each had 500-1500 lumens, but I was the only one with both bars and helmet lighting which makes a massive difference.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #2164
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We used to race 24 hours with those 15w lights. Now I have a 1200 lumen handlebar light and a 500 lumen helmet. It’s like daylight compared to what we used to use
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #2165
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I still have my old light with the battery that fit in the water bottle holder. A cigarette lighter probably has more lumens.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #2166
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I think I still have my old light with the battery that fit in the water bottle holder. A cigarette lighter probably has more lumens.

I think Brez had one of those. That thing weighed a ton.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #2167
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Northendzone, when you get your light make a video of how bright it is out on the trail.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #2168
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We had these on our bikes when we were young. And we liked it, dagnaggit! Additional workout as an extra bonus.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #2169
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, those were aweful. We'd ride beside our buddies and kick it on with our foot, just to slow them down, then ride off. "Guys, wait up!"
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #2170
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Fixed. Kill two birds with one stone. Nothing like a dart while you're riding your bike.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 10:59 PM   #2171
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

2019 / 2020 Specialized Sirrus and Sirrus X's recalled:

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal...73689r-eng.php
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #2172
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gorgeous morning for a rip around Nose Hill. I love it up there in the fall. No people, most of the leg pokey things are dead, the lighting and colours are fantastic, and the ground is firm and fast. Crank up the PSI on the 29'er and let 'er rip! So much fun.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #2173
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I took the morning off to do a loop of the Reservoir and then out to Chestermere. The wind coming back from Chestermere nearly killed me. Lots of people around the Reservoir made things slower but the Canal is always quiet.

Reservoir is looking great right now.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 09:50 PM   #2174
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the winter I ride my fat bike in the evening down in the bow bottom flats area of fish creek. There is a bunch of single track in the area and I can ride about20k or so in 75m.

It is a bit dark down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Why do you feel you need so much light? Where are you riding that you need so much? And is this for a single unit or combined?

Then again I'm still impressed at my ~1000lumen setup (which I've had for over 5 years) compared to my old 15W Nightstick.

Did a gravel ride last night out in Bragg area with a few other folks. After years of night riding on mountain bikes doing a night gravel ride was a first. Pretty cool actually although the two ######-bag trucks that had to pass sure kicked up a lot of blinding dust. We each had 500-1500 lumens, but I was the only one with both bars and helmet lighting which makes a massive difference.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #2175
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Yesterday at 85km of a 100+ ride from Okotoks, I crashed my bike. After entering the city I was on a path and was heading towards a connecting road. With the sun in my eyes I didn't see a chain in the shade stretched across the path to prevent cars from coming on to the path until it was too late. Chain hit the tire and I went over the bars. Landed on my hands and head (always wear a helmet).

My wife came and brought me to urgent care. No concussion thankfully but my hand wasn't so lucky. I dislocated my ring finger. Thankful, because of all my cycling, my wedding ring doesn't fit anymore otherwise things could have been much worse. No break.

Here's what my hand looks like today:

Here's what it looked like yesterday. Spoiler because it's really gross. Don't open if you're squeemish.

Spoiler!

Last edited by KTrain; 09-27-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #2176
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ouch. I've dislocated a finger, it hurt like a SOB when they tried to set it back.

Speedy recovery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #2177
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Ouch. I've dislocated a finger, it hurt like a SOB when they tried to set it back.

Speedy recovery.
The doctor gave me the option of freezing it or not. I'm not manly enough to turn down freezing. I didn't feel a thing when he popped it back in.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #2178
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eash. Ouch. Though the "body geometry" joke makes it all worth it, right?

I'm always terrified of the bollards, chains etc to keep vehicles out. In the winter I always have visions of my bike slipping just as I pass a bollard, and smacking my head on it.

The ones on the Legacy trail are super sketchy when you have to time meeting a group to get through. I'd rather deal with the minuscule risk of cars being on a pathway than those things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #2179
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How’s the glove?

Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #2180
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
How’s the glove?

I asked them to cut it off instead of attempting to get it around the finger. It’s now on the shopping list, along with a new helmet.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: