Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #41
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I think your crazy to bother filtering water from rivers or fast flowing streams in the nat parks or k country so long as the source hasnt gone through pasture land. Lakes are another story but you can normally find the feeder or exit stream from those rivers and just use that.

I personally use the tablets if I at all question the water source. They arent that expensive and unless you are going every weekend durring the spring summer and fall I dont think filtration systems are worth it IMO.

Ive never got sick once and last year I went backpacking on minimum 40 nights last year

Now if you have bad reactions to the iodine tablets then thats another issue.
yer gunna die!!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #42
bosox_fan05
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Has anyone done the Heart Mountain Loop (Via Heart Mountain, Grant McEwan). Was thinking of doing this as a day hike on Saturday, just wondering what to expect. I will be attempting this with day pack, climbing helmet, and hiking boots. Doable?
This is a pretty easy scramble. There is only one small section (about 10 feet high) that requires any climbing and it is not difficult. I'd say that the climbing helmet would be unnecessary unless you are planning on going totally off the trail. I'd definitely recommend the hike though.
bosox_fan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bosox_fan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #43
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox_fan05 View Post
This is a pretty easy scramble. There is only one small section (about 10 feet high) that requires any climbing and it is not difficult. I'd say that the climbing helmet would be unnecessary unless you are planning on going totally off the trail. I'd definitely recommend the hike though.

Thank you, nice to not have to carry the helmet if not needed.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #44
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone make a great cup of trail coffee that wants to share their tips? At home I'm a bit of a coffe snob but on the trail I'm a coffee hack. I'm an instant coffee in a sandwich bag guy. What I drink on the trail would get dumped down the sink anywhere else. I even go as far as to buy the cheap storebrand instant coffee because I know they all suck anyway. I couldn't be bothered to drag along my coffee press, especially for just one or two people.
A really tasty, strong, black coffee would sure be welcome in the mornings!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #45
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Does anyone make a great cup of trail coffee that wants to share their tips? At home I'm a bit of a coffe snob but on the trail I'm a coffee hack. I'm an instant coffee in a sandwich bag guy. What I drink on the trail would get dumped down the sink anywhere else. I even go as far as to buy the cheap storebrand instant coffee because I know they all suck anyway. I couldn't be bothered to drag along my coffee press, especially for just one or two people.
A really tasty, strong, black coffee would sure be welcome in the mornings!
The Starbuck Via's aren't bad in a pinch for a caffeine boost and they are highly portable. If you're more snobby, an Aeropress works well and is compact enough to pack along.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #46
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks Wormius!

I went searching that and found that while it's well reviewed for taste and just about everything else, it may be a little heavy (over half a pound) and a complicated clean-up for backpacking. While googling it I did come across this camp-coffee-maker review and think I may order up the Hario V60.

Here is the review if anyone is interested.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Coffee-Reviews

I might actually be interested in the Aeropress for home! Thanks for getting me there.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #47
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry if this already has been posted. As a novice hiker, looking to go for a hike for a few hours tomorrow. Anyone have suggestions for places within an hour of the city?
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #48
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barrier Lake Fire Station is a pretty sweet novice hike that I would recommend.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #49
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ grassi lakes. Take the hard way up, my 7 yr girl made it up
Old 07-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #50
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Sorry if this already has been posted. As a novice hiker, looking to go for a hike for a few hours tomorrow. Anyone have suggestions for places within an hour of the city?
I just started reading this guy's blog - he does a lot of difficult hikes but he points out some easier ones too.

You want super easy, there's always Brown-Lowery Prov. Park out by Priddis.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #51
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Rawson lake and Chester lake are both nice hikes in Peter Lougheed for the novice and both can be extended further up easy ridges around the lakes if you want more hiking and better views.

If you are willing to drive 2hrs Wilcox pass on the icefields parkway is one of the best easy hikes around. Again a lot of room for wandering at the top.

I just got back from Lake OHara which is the best day hiking I have ever been on. You usually need to backpack in a day to get that nice of area. The only drawback is you need to reserve 3 months in advance as they limit the number of users each day.

Last edited by GGG; 07-28-2013 at 10:36 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #52
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions!
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #53
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been in the area for a number of years now, but is Indefatigable closed now? That was always my favourite climb by far. I loved it, but I know they had issues with a momma grizzly in there.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #54
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I haven't been in the area for a number of years now, but is Indefatigable closed now? That was always my favourite climb by far. I loved it, but I know they had issues with a momma grizzly in there.
I found this.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #55
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hiked to lower Twin Lakes via the Vista Lake viewpoint off the 93.

I would call it a medium hike. 8.4KM with a 600M elevation change. I would recommend climbing poles if your knees are weak as coming back the down can be rough on the joints.

I would recommend iodine tablets as there isnt really any place to find drinking water unless you make your way lower lake waterfall source.

Took us about 2.5 hours each way with a break for lunch.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #56
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
As a total aside (just curious) could it be hung from the middle rather than using the pole? Might be an option in nice weather?
I checked last weekend and there is a hang loop on both the outer shell and the inner net so you can hang it from a tree and then stake it out instead of using the pole.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #57
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy89 View Post
Hey, this is my first post on CP, I've been lurking for awhile as I don't live in Calgary yet (hopefully moving to Calgary within a year), but this thread is really interesting to me and has already given me some good info.

I'm interested in your opinions on water filtration/purification for day trips. When I move to Calgary I want to go on long day (possibly multiday) hikes in Kananaskis and Banff, which would require a lot of water, but I know a lot of people simply collect water from lakes and streams and filter or purify it instead of carrying a lot of extra weight in water. What do you guys use and have found effective? I'm looking at a Katadyn Hiker Pro (http://www.mec.ca/product/5007-114/k...o-microfilter/). Any comments on using this, it doesn't filter out viruses, but not sure how much an issue that is in cold, clean mountain streams. A super light option would just be using tablets (http://www.mec.ca/product/5001-354/k...tment-tablets/), but I like the idea of actually filtering out the nasties rather than just neutralizing them. Appreciate any comments you may have!

Take a good straw.....
http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #58
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I checked last weekend and there is a hang loop on both the outer shell and the inner net so you can hang it from a tree and then stake it out instead of using the pole.
Cool, thanks for checking. Not sure it would be practical but might be worth a try.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #59
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who knows about the Lake of the Falls trail? Opinions?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #60
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Who knows about the Lake of the Falls trail? Opinions?
I've never even heard of it, had to look it up (bookmarked a page to do some more reading about it). When I was googling, I found these guys at another board talking about it - sounds like some of it was washed out, plus a landslide?

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness