Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #1821
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
That's our version of brown, Nielson and a second.

Despite being 4th overall Bennett hasn't lived up to the billing (yet). It would be a huge risk for Toronto to take and they could probably throw a Marlie on the left with those guys and get points.

Stone is a 3rd pairing guy they might use on the second pairing, under two years of control at a cap hit higher than nearly every number 5 in the league.

Kulak is a young cheap 6, which is pretty common in every team.

Nylander is a right shooting right winger with two straight 60 point seasons, who's likely going to get between 6 and 7 million on a new deal.

There were some who thought that dougie should fetch nylander straight up, others Marner.

This is the equivalent of oilers offering Russell, Matt benning, puljujarvi (after another poor season) and a second for Matty Tkachuk. No thank you.

They could be interested in trading brown or kapanen but even then I'd argue that they need cheap contacts where they can get them.
Fair points; so let’s see if I’m that far off how much closer does this bring it

Hamonic + Bennett + Kylington + 19 1st

Edit: To be clear I have no interest in trading Hamonic now as it would weaken the right side considerably but I’m doing that proposal to see what the consensus is on Nylander’s value as I honestly think they need to turn him into help on the back end.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 07-05-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #1822
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope still spare parts

Edit: not spare parts, but they would likely want a package that centered around a piece like Hanifin or something like that.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 07-05-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #1823
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Why do people think that more stuff makes the trade better. This offer is like trying to trade a quarter, three dimes and four nickels for a dollar.
Because every few years throwing a bunch of quantity will get you a Dion Phaneuf, in his prime.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #1824
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames are done acquiring players. If anything maybe they will dump a salary or 2 so they can go long term with Hanifin?

With the money the Canucks paid to Beagle and Roussel I wonder if they wouldn’t be interested in Brouwer $1.5M retained. If the Flames can find a taker for Brouwer at $3M they will be on the hook for the $1.5M for 2 years instead of 4.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:15 AM   #1825
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why but I still think the Flames go after Stone
Old 07-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #1826
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stone would be pretty killer. Adding one more top 6 winger at the expense of jankowski + could make sense

Gaudreau-monahan-neal
Tkachuk-lindholm-stone
Bennett-backlund-ryan

Is a pretty nasty top 9
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #1827
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I don't know why but I still think the Flames go after Stone
I don’t see how it is possible unless the Lindholm negotiation goes way wrong and the Flames flipped him in a package for Stone.

The team turned over 1/3 of their forward group already, and Treliving has stated the heavy lifting is done.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:14 AM   #1828
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought about stone more last night. Signing him in fa next year is a nice idea, but I just dont see how we can make it work without shipping some pieces out, which is why I think trade is still the best option.

Jankowski/bennett+r.andersson/kylington+2019 1st+ brouwer
That should be on the right track for a stone base, with brouwer as a salary dump heading back. If we could include brodie instead of a prospect d even better imo. Sens get two young and relatively nice pieces to build off of, we augment our top 6 substantially. Flip frolik to another team for whatever you can get and between he and brouwer that gives us ~8.5 extra cap space to keep stone (and more importantly tkachuk) signed long term

Last edited by Monahammer; 07-06-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:27 AM   #1829
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I thought about stone more last night. Signing him in fa next year is a nice idea, but I just dont see how we can make it work without shipping some pieces out, which is why I think trade is still the best option.
If the cap goes up again then perhaps it becomes possible if Brouwer gets bought out next summer. Too difficult to tell at this point in time.

That said, I could see Stone wanting out of Canada altogether after enduring the Senators tire fire.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #1830
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

So basically trade away all of our youth that you are counting on to carry the team forward as players reach the downslope of their careers? Brilliant. That’s a sure fire way to guarantee another dark period for them where we are forced to be Watch another GM come in and rebuild the system all over again. No to that idea.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #1831
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was Cheveldayoff, I'd be on the phone daily with Dorion trying to get a deal done to bring Stone home to Winnipeg. After getting snubbed by Stastny, they definitely have the cap space to give Stone whatever he wants on a long-term deal.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #1832
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So basically trade away all of our youth that you are counting on to carry the team forward as players reach the downslope of their careers? Brilliant. That’s a sure fire way to guarantee another dark period for them where we are forced to be Watch another GM come in and rebuild the system all over again. No to that idea.
Lol our top players are (Monahan, gaudreau, tkachuk) are the same age or younger than jankowski who we're giving away, I didn't add our best d prospect (valimaki), and stone is only 26, yet the trade is going to guarantee us a dark periodbecause of lack of youth? Ya ok bud.

It's a dream anyways but dont be such a dour loser.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #1833
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see Treliving going into 3 of 4 drafts with no first round pick. Most of the trade proposals also feature the equivalent of 2-3 first round picks and 3-4 second round picks for someone like Nylander. With a combination of youth and actual picks.

Even if you don't create a hole in the Flames development system, as New Era suggests, I'm not sure why Flames fans are constantly downplaying the value of thier own prospects in favour of someone elses. It's entirely possible that after this year Jankowski's value is close to Nylander's by himself. Only way to find out is to give him the opportunity.

I can see moving out vets for youth. I think that Stone could be had for a recently drafted RHD. If Valimaki is really as close as Conroy thinks, Kulak could be moved as well.

I, for one, am more excited about which of Jankowski, Czarnik, Foo take that next step, then see them play for another team. They all have potential top six talent.

Perhaps someone has insight on a RHD on the cusp of promotion for another team, where they are blocked by the big club for whatever reason.

Not to be dour, but another perspective.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #1834
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol our top players are (Monahan, gaudreau, tkachuk) are the same age or younger than jankowski who we're giving away, I didn't add our best d prospect (valimaki), and stone is only 26, yet the trade is going to guarantee us a dark periodbecause of lack of youth? Ya ok bud.

It's a dream anyways but dont be such a dour loser.
You need depth to win, and you need to maintain that depth by having cheap young players. The only way you push Brouwer out of the lineup is by having a younger, less expensive option, push him out of the lineup. The only way you can afford those top line players on those big ticket contracts, while being competitive, is to have those good young players on those entry level contracts. Those cheap young players are key to the Flames maintaining a roster with the likes of Monahan and Gaudreau, and allow for the team to pay Tkachuk what he is going to get in his second contract.

There are limitations that affect trades. The cap is a starter. Roster limits come into play. The impact on the minor league system is another. Not picking in the first couple of rounds has left a gap in the system to the point where the Flames have to stop giving away good players and picks that they have the ability to use as cost controls. I would suggest you consider these in the future and stop with the four or five for one deals, because these deals don’t happen very often anymore. NHL18 isn’t reality.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #1835
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You need depth to win, and you need to maintain that depth by having cheap young players. The only way you push Brouwer out of the lineup is by having a younger, less expensive option, push him out of the lineup. The only way you can afford those top line players on those big ticket contracts, while being competitive, is to have those good young players on those entry level contracts. Those cheap young players are key to the Flames maintaining a roster with the likes of Monahan and Gaudreau, and allow for the team to pay Tkachuk what he is going to get in his second contract.

There are limitations that affect trades. The cap is a starter. Roster limits come into play. The impact on the minor league system is another. Not picking in the first couple of rounds has left a gap in the system to the point where the Flames have to stop giving away good players and picks that they have the ability to use as cost controls. I would suggest you consider these in the future and stop with the four or five for one deals, because these deals don’t happen very often anymore. NHL18 isn’t reality.
It happened last year with this same team trading like 5 pieces for duchene in a 3-way, and looks like it will happen with this team when they trade Karlsson. The flames did it with phaneuf. It does happen, and I would even say it's likely it happens more often than 1-1 deals.

To address your first point, adding a singer like stone to our top 6 enhances our depth without subtracting much of note from the nhl roster. Jankowski looks to have been displaced at centre already. Rasmus is a good prospect but you have to give to get.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #1836
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Y'all are Homers if you think jankowski will be as good as nylander or stone.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #1837
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Dorion at the helm, and the tire-fire that is the Senators right now I haven't given up on Stone coming here. He'd be a home run, and I think the cost to acquire him is basement-low.

He's an RFA that potentially could be looking to play everywhere but Ottawa, and Dorion has to sign him or trade his rights. That he's filed for arbitration really only lowered his trade value IMO as he's likely to become a $7M Mark Stone. Unfortunately, $7M Mark Stone is also considerably less valuable to us than a contract Wizard negotiated.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #1838
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Y'all are Homers if you think jankowski will be as good as nylander or stone.
Stone, no... but Nylander I could see. I wouldn't fly the flag, but I don't see it as all that unreachable.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #1839
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Stone, no... but Nylander I could see. I wouldn't fly the flag, but I don't see it as all that unreachable.
Kind of curious why you say Stone no but Nylander yes.

Nylander is 4 years younger and puts up the same points.

His defensive game isnt at Stones level but he is still young.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #1840
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's possible Janko could be as good as Nylander one day sure. However Nylander is 2 years younger and putting up 40 more points. The odds are not in marks favour.
Closed Thread