Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #4021
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Bishop was traded from TB to LA, played out the string and then signed with DAL for $6 x 6. (Tre clearly wasn't willing to pay)

Dubnyk played 19 games for the coyotes (as a UFA signed for $800) going 9-5-2 before being traded to MIN. The year before that he went from EDM to NSH to the AHL (MTL). Bob Mason is the guy in MIN.

Interesting that of those 6 teams, 4 have former goalies as the goalie coach.

Schneider was acquired for a top 10 pick (#9 Bo Horvat). Would you trade Monahan for Schneider? Would you trade Monahan for any goalie?

Again, goalies are crapshoots.
Again, no, Bishop was traded from LA to the Stars on May 9th and the stars then extended him 3 days later well before he hit free agency. He also signed a 6 year deal at 4.92 AAV. Any other easily googled facts you would like to mix up?

For a 26-27 year old elite goaltender I absolutely would give up a first round pick. I don’t understand your Monahan comparison. Monahan is a developed 1C who would return way more than a first round pick in the draft. Using your logic, would I trade Bennett for a Schneider level goalie just entering his prime? Yah, I would. But that’s not what Schneider was traded for. He was traded for the ninth overall pick in the draft, and the Devils absolutely won that trade.

Last edited by jonkaupp; 10-27-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #4022
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

*drinks a beer*

Team needs a top 10 goalie.

*drinks a beer*
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #4023
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Again, no, Bishop was traded from LA to the Stars on May 9th and the stars then extended him 3 days later well before he hit free agency. He also signed a 6 year deal at 4.92 AAV. Any other easily googled facts you would like to mix up?

For a 26-27 year old elite goaltender I absolutely would give up a first round pick. I don’t understand your Monahan comparison. Monahan is a developed 1C who would return way more than a first round pick in the draft. Using your logic, would I trade Bennett for a Schneider level goalie just entering his prime? Yah, I would. But that’s not what Schneider was traded for. He was traded for the ninth overall pick in the draft, and the Devils absolutely won that trade.

I don't think you can say the Devils won that trade.

A top 10 pick is a huge asset that the Canucks used to draft Bo Horvat - a high core piece
I would say both teams did well with it. Win-win
Old 10-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #4024
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I would say Vancouver won that trade. They had another #1 goalie at the time and with the pick they got Bo Horvat. Bo has been great and on a bit of a tear this year. He's on pace for over 50 goals (I know early) and he's most likely Vans captain soon I think he wears the "A" already
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #4025
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm.

Last edited by David Struch; 10-28-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Hamonic to line-up, also bumped Tkachuk up to 7,500,000 million.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:16 PM   #4026
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Where did Hamonic and Hathaway go?
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #4027
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik and Stone have both been healthy scratches this year. Now are both still serviceable IMO but it is just very unusual for teams to take on bad contracts in a trade unless you give up something else or take another bad contract in return. Even with one year left on their deals. I just can’t think of many examples of that happening.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #4028
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
If the Flames move out Frolík & Stone there'll be a TON of cap space for a goalie...

Gaudreau 6,75 Monahan 6,375 Czarnik 1,25
Tkachuk 6,375 Lindholm 4,85 Neal 5,75
Bennett 2,015 Backlund 5,35 Ryan 3,125
Dubé ,778 Jankowski 1,675 Foo ,900
Mangiapane ,715

Giordano 6,75 Brodie 4,65
Hanifin 4,95 Andersson ,755
Kylington ,730 Välimäki ,894

Gillies ,750

Salary Cap $82,000,000
Cap Hit $71,000,000
Buyouts $1,500,000
Bonuses $747,500
Cap Space $11,253,292
Tkachuk ain’t getting 6.375. Add at least a million to that number if he keeps his current play up. If he keeps up this scoring pace throughout the whole season, which I doubt but it’d be 90-100 points, then you can probably add a few million to that number. The guy is our best player now.

And ya, as pointed out above you forgot Hamonic.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #4029
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Where did Hamonic and Hathaway go?

I also find it hard to believe we could trade Frolik
and Stone without any salary retention unless we’re giving up a pretty decent asset. Might be worth it for Bobrovsky though. I’d be willing to lose a 2nd round or lower pick + anyone on the farm not named Mangiapane for Bob.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #4030
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Excuse me for missing the Bishop trade. I was going by his stat line. (My numbers come from HockeyBD & Capfriendly.)

Quote:

Schneider was dealt at the 2013 draft for the #9 pick. CGY picked Monahan with the #6 in that draft. To make the trade for Schnieder Feaster would have had to give up the #6 pick - which he used for Monahan. (And since that trade Schneider has had only 2 seasons with more wins than losses.)

Most here would trade today's Bennet for a top goalie, but would they have traded the #4 pick at the time?

Ultimately the question is Are you OK with trading a lottery pick for top non-ufa goalie? If so, which ones do you think would be available at that price?

Holtby & Andersen are the only 2 that fit your criteria of 26-27 year-old elite goalie (though you don't define "elite").

Would MTL take a lottery pick for Price? TB interested in a lottery pick for Vasilevsky?

Goalies are a crapshoot
Old 10-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #4031
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't think you can say the Devils won that trade.

A top 10 pick is a huge asset that the Canucks used to draft Bo Horvat - a high core piece
I would say both teams did well with it. Win-win
Eh I don’t really consider injuries when I evaluate how a trade turned out, which is what has hurt Schneider’s value the past two years. Horvat could get injured tomorrow and never be same player as well so who knows. I absolutely would take 27 year old in his prime Cory Schneider over Bo Horvat all day every day. I think the Canucks would have been much better served to keep Schneider and trade Luongo.

Last edited by jonkaupp; 10-27-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #4032
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Eh I don’t really consider injuries when I evaluate how a trade turned out, which is what has hurt Schneider’s value the past two years. Horvat could get injured tomorrow and never be same player as well so who knows. I absolutely would take 27 year old in his prime Cory Schneider over Bo Horvat all day every day. I think the Canucks would have been much better served to keep Schneider and trade Luongo.
You might not consider injuries, but then you’re just toying with revisionist history.

With where the Canucks are today, they’re better off having Horvat than Schneider. We can list a million “what ifs” to try and swing the trade one way or the other, but in the end we’re just left with what’s actually happened, and in reality, it’s a win win trade.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:29 PM   #4033
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Elliott said Hayes would take a pick or prospect to get him. He won't cost alot to get and Jankowski fits into the Rangers plans. Kassian is half the cap hit of Stone. The kids are better than Stone.
I want absolutely no part of Kassian, he is the dumbest player I have ever seen. I remember him absolutely costing the Windsor Spitfires games and even a series with his stupid penalties at the worst times. He has a bag of rocks in his head instead of brains, no thanks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 10:42 PM   #4034
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game ten and lids ready to pop on this joint. We knew there'd be some ugly in this change over.

Smith not being up to snuff is a fire alarm though.

Defense sounds like it needs a ton of tightening up. But, gotta give them kids more than ten games to get their heads out their butts.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:44 PM   #4035
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I want absolutely no part of Kassian, he is the dumbest player I have ever seen. I remember him absolutely costing the Windsor Spitfires games and even a series with his stupid penalties at the worst times. He has a bag of rocks in his head instead of brains, no thanks.

While I agree wholeheartedly it would mostly be for a cap dump for us.

Kassian = 1.95 million / expires 20/21
Stone = 3.0 million / expires 20/21

It also makes sense roster wise as the Flames need toughness and the Oilers need D. But the savings of 1.05 million is not nearly enough to have that ######-nozzle on the team.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:45 PM   #4036
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Excuse me for missing the Bishop trade. I was going by his stat line. (My numbers come from HockeyBD & Capfriendly.)

Schneider was dealt at the 2013 draft for the #9 pick. CGY picked Monahan with the #6 in that draft. To make the trade for Schnieder Feaster would have had to give up the #6 pick - which he used for Monahan. (And since that trade Schneider has had only 2 seasons with more wins than losses.)

Most here would trade today's Bennet for a top goalie, but would they have traded the #4 pick at the time?

Ultimately the question is Are you OK with trading a lottery pick for top non-ufa goalie? If so, which ones do you think would be available at that price?

Holtby & Andersen are the only 2 that fit your criteria of 26-27 year-old elite goalie (though you don't define "elite").

Would MTL take a lottery pick for Price? TB interested in a lottery pick for Vasilevsky?

Goalies are a crapshoot
If we want to go back in time the most obvious is instead of Jankowski and Sieloff we draft Vasilevskiy.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #4037
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
If we want to go back in time the most obvious is instead of Jankowski and Sieloff we draft Vasilevskiy.
But then would Vasilevski develop the same as he has in TB? Hindsight is super sweet and all, but this franchise simply does not develop goalies successfully.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #4038
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
But then would Vasilevski develop the same as he has in TB? Hindsight is super sweet and all, but this franchise simply does not develop goalies successfully.
He played 2 months in the AHL before being called up.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:08 AM   #4039
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It's a cap dump trade in the end. Why you talking about Juniors? How dumb were you when you were 18?
Old 10-28-2018, 01:27 AM   #4040
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
It's a cap dump trade in the end. Why you talking about Juniors? How dumb were you when you were 18?
Kassian is as dumb now as he was at 18