Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2024, 01:35 AM   #1001
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Elon Stans acting like Tesla is doing Cybertruck owners a huge solid with the opportunity to clean off the rust that came with their new cars.
Are you some kind of moron?

Rail dust.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:27 AM   #1002
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post

Rail dust.
That doesn't explain all of it though. There are people with spots that do not clean off. That may our may not be due to the rusting material being foreign particles that embed rather than the steel itself, but you end up with rust spots either way.

At the end of the day, at the very least it's a vehicle that needs special cleaning
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:34 AM   #1003
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know when I drop $160k on a new vehicle, the first thing I want to do is take Barkeepers friend to it and spend a few hours cleaning off rail dust. How the #### can they justify delivering that to customers? What a trash company. I can't imagine the type of moron that would defend this sort of thing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:01 AM   #1004
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I know when I drop $160k on a new vehicle, the first thing I want to do is take Barkeepers friend to it and spend a few hours cleaning off rail dust. How the #### can they justify delivering that to customers? What a trash company. I can't imagine the type of moron that would defend this sort of thing.
Lucky you! You don’t have to imagine. They are among us.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:03 AM   #1005
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Rail dust.

Haha. Right. I forgot. EVERYONE who ever bought a new vehicle has to go through the process of buffing out specks of rusting rail dust that embedded in the paint. That sounds perfectly normal after taking possession of a new car from a dealer.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 10:22 AM   #1006
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

Rail dust.
Throw another candle up on your Elon shrine to atone for our us.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 11:35 AM   #1007
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Haha. Right. I forgot. EVERYONE who ever bought a new vehicle has to go through the process of buffing out specks of rusting rail dust that embedded in the paint. That sounds perfectly normal after taking possession of a new car from a dealer.
Not everyone but it's not unusual. That's what iron remover is for, it may work or you might need to clay and compound the defects out in addition. If left too long the particles will etch the paint.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:25 PM   #1008
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not everyone but it's not unusual. That's what iron remover is for, it may work or you might need to clay and compound the defects out in addition. If left too long the particles will etch the paint.

Is that the kind of experience you’d expect with a new car from what’s supposed to be a premium brand?

Tesla should be rectifying it before the cars get into customers’ hands. It’s just lazy and embarrassing. It is as if Musk now just takes for granted that his fan base that buy his cars will take on this extra work, and he can just check that off the list of things he needs to pay employees to do.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:03 PM   #1009
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that the kind of experience you’d expect with a new car from what’s supposed to be a premium brand?

Tesla should be rectifying it before the cars get into customers’ hands. It’s just lazy and embarrassing. It is as if Musk now just takes for granted that his fan base that buy his cars will take on this extra work, and he can just check that off the list of things he needs to pay employees to do.
Tesla is borderline premium and expectations should be low for all buyers when picking up vehicles from dealerships regardless of whether they are mainstream, premium or luxury. Most buyers don't care but anyone that is really concerned about a good finish on a vehicle will forego any dealership PDI and will take the vehicle straight to a competent detailer for a full correction.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:38 PM   #1010
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I’ve never bought a vehicle from a dealer that needed cleaning. The day I pick it up in the showroom is the cleanest it will ever be. Having to clean it myself would be fk’d up
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2024, 09:10 PM   #1011
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
I’ve never bought a vehicle from a dealer that needed cleaning. The day I pick it up in the showroom is the cleanest it will ever be. Having to clean it myself would be fk’d up
It is common to detail cars right off the showroom floor this guy does it all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/@OutofSpecDetailing/videos

I'm betting you don't have the slightest idea what to look for. Best case is a car that the dealer hasn't touched at all more often than not they get their resident monkey to hit defects with the polisher with no clue how to you use it. Also you don't know that new cars are commonly polished out before they even get to the dealer, in some cases they are even wet sanded.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:54 AM   #1012
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, so the dealer took care of it, or it wasn’t a problem to begin with. In either case, doesn’t really absolve Tesla of laziness.

Like Brendone, I have bought brand new vehicles - Toyotas, Subarus - never seen this. Didn’t have to take them right away to do anything special either.

Tesla’s been delivering cars long enough now to recognize it as an issue, if it is one, haven’t they? With the roll-out of a brand new vehicle you’d think maybe they would want to try their bestest here to not look bad.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:35 AM   #1013
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The Tesla Bros remind me of the old Ford vs. Chevy guys. Tribalism applied to the logo of a for profit company. So weird.

It's great to buy a bunch of different brands of cars to see how they do things differently and where they excel and where they suck.

I'm still sad I never got my hands on a Saab at any point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 10:49 AM   #1014
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
The Tesla Bros remind me of the old Ford vs. Chevy guys. Tribalism applied to the logo of a for profit company. So weird.

It's great to buy a bunch of different brands of cars to see how they do things differently and where they excel and where they suck.

I'm still sad I never got my hands on a Saab at any point.

I found the whole “it’s supposed to have all of these defects that you have to immediately fix yourself, are you stupid or something?!” a little amusing.

The Saab though, that umm… they’re unique. I’ll give you that. Is it the unapologetic homeliness that is appealing? They must be sleeper cars then, right?
Old 02-19-2024, 01:18 PM   #1015
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Not that I disagree, but this is a funny statement to make in a Calgary Flames message board
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 01:34 PM   #1016
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
The Saab though, that umm… they’re unique. I’ll give you that. Is it the unapologetic homeliness that is appealing? They must be sleeper cars then, right?
They're just weird. While everything was homogenizing across the auto industry, they held out quite a while. I'm not even sure if I really like them, but I just find them neat. Would have been fun to have one for a few years to see what they were all about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 08:32 AM   #1017
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when my Porsche was delivered like this. It's pretty common in the auto industry.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:16 AM   #1018
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I remember when my Porsche was delivered like this. It's pretty common in the auto industry.

In any event, Bar Keeper’s Friend is going to make a killing this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 09:27 AM   #1019
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, doesn't seem like they are publicly traded.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:26 AM   #1020
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Damn, doesn't seem like they are publicly traded.

Maybe Tesla will buy the company and rebrand it. Multiple revenue streams.