Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #61
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I always assumed that locals will buy at the Co-Op. The added non-sale price is basically just a tax for out of towners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The season pass is exactly the same price as the one day admission. Kind of takes some of the steam out of this blogger's argument. I'm going to side with Calaway Park's lawyer on this one.
Lol.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:57 PM   #62
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Any of you go to that 'Enchanted Forest?'

I highly recommend it. I never went as a kid, but I took my daughter there and that place is creepy as all hell. Its fantastic.

Its like an amusement park for children that was designed by space aliens who have never met a child.

I found it endlessly fascinating.

"Oh. Alright. I wonder why they thought this was a good idea..."

Its great! Definitely worth the price of admission.
It's awful. Took my kids when they were young and even they weren't impressed at all.

The climbing place right next to it is awesome though.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It's awful. Took my kids when they were young and even they weren't impressed at all.

The climbing place right next to it is awesome though.
I didnt go to the climbing place....but I feel like it should use some of the Gnomes as obstacles that need to be dodged.

You know....jazz it up a bit!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #64
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loved it as a kid, not going to pretend otherwise.

A bunch of adults bashing how a kids theme park has "held up" doesn't hold much weight.

It's still great for that 5-14 age range, I'd say. But obviously much of the park could use a makeover
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:16 PM   #65
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rides are still in good condition, food is decent, it doesn't take forever to do everything, it's cheap to go, the parking lot is better labelled than "Itchy & Stratchy".

When we have 40% of Canada's population, we'll have Canada's Wonderland.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:21 PM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Loved it as a kid, not going to pretend otherwise.

A bunch of adults bashing how a kids theme park has "held up" doesn't hold much weight.

It's still great for that 5-14 age range, I'd say. But obviously much of the park could use a makeover
I assume you are referring to Captain Clownshoes of Youtube?

A rational human should give 0 ####s about some E-Manchild's opinion of a local themepark.

It exists to entertain small children for a day. Its fine for what it is.

If you make it better it will become prohibitively expensive. If you let it deteriorate it will likely become the subject of a Documentary. After many, many lawsuits.

It amazes me at time that people dont understand what things are. Its a mid-priced local themepark to entertain small children.

It exists in a void of competition! They could charge more! They could be better! They could be a lot worse. For what it is and how its priced I'd say that whoever owns it nailed the price range.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 01:31 PM   #67
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calaway Park initiated the Streisand Effect. They legit probably could have spun this around by giving this guy season passes to his family and recorded commercials about how he now thinks he didn't know what he was talking about. Instead they decided they were going to try to strong arm somebody for what was basically a video yelp review that people will bring up the next time someone mentions Calaway Park in conversation. Bravo.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #68
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Calaway Park initiated the Streisand Effect. They legit probably could have spun this around by giving this guy season passes to his family and recorded commercials about how he now thinks he didn't know what he was talking about. Instead they decided they were going to try to strong arm somebody for what was basically a video yelp review that people will bring up the next time someone mentions Calaway Park in conversation. Bravo.
Oh I gotta give Calaway props on that one. If you start kowtowing to every neckbearded weirdo on Youtube then the Terrorists win.

He wants to bitch about a $0.04 difference on entry fee?

He also cherry-picked his themeparks. It has to be Calaway or Marineland? What are his criteria? What are the metrics? Does he have food standards?

What are his opinions on the ethical treatment of Dolphins, Whales and Seals and how does he economically accommodate for that in his rankings? Is he unwilling to spend an $0.04 for entry if it means an ethical treatment for animals?

I could do this all day.

He was angling for something and I'm glad they told him to 'shove it.'

Old 07-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #69
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I assume you are referring to Captain Clownshoes of Youtube?

A rational human should give 0 ####s about some E-Manchild's opinion of a local themepark.

It exists to entertain small children for a day. Its fine for what it is.

If you make it better it will become prohibitively expensive. If you let it deteriorate it will likely become the subject of a Documentary. After many, many lawsuits.

It amazes me at time that people dont understand what things are. Its a mid-priced local themepark to entertain small children.

It exists in a void of competition! They could charge more! They could be better! They could be a lot worse. For what it is and how its priced I'd say that whoever owns it nailed the price range.
I don't really care about the YouTuber, seems to just be seeking attention and clicks, and he's doing what he has to to accomplish that, but the way you just ragdoll someone you don't know from this seemingly angry place is kind of strange also.

Seeing how judgmental people are on a forum like this when they have the safety of hiding behind a screen name disturbs me sometimes, because it tells me how you really think without the filter. There are some young guys at my work and while they're not the brightest and are more concerned with fitting in than their future, they mean well, and they're still learning about what they value in life & how to be their own people.

Point is, you guys can be really brutal sometimes. And you're really quick to label people that never provoked you personally.

Agreed with the statements about the park. But as for the other stuff, why can't you chill out and let people do their thing and have their opinions? Even if you see it as misguided. It's not your job to steer people straight. Which, for whatever reason, is a responsibility posters in here feel like they have to take on.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #70
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I don't really care about the YouTuber, seems to just be seeking attention and clicks, and he's doing what he has to to accomplish that, but the way you just ragdoll someone you don't know from this seemingly angry place is kind of strange also.

Seeing how judgmental people are on a forum like this when they have the safety of hiding behind a screen name disturbs me sometimes, because it tells me how you really think without the filter. There are some young guys at my work and while they're not the brightest and are more concerned with fitting in than their future, they mean well, and they're still learning about what they value in life & how to be their own people.

Point is, you guys can be really brutal sometimes. And you're really quick to label people that never provoked you personally.

Agreed with the statements about the park. But as for the other stuff, why can't you chill out and let people do their thing and have their opinions? Even if you see it as misguided. It's not your job to steer people straight. Which, for whatever reason, is a responsibility posters in here feel like they have to take on.
Because I see a Monorail Salesman.

And if nobody stands up to be counted at the crucial moment....you'll be riding a Monorail.

Old 07-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #71
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I gotta give Calaway props on that one. If you start kowtowing to every neckbearded weirdo on Youtube then the Terrorists win.

He wants to bitch about a $0.04 difference on entry fee?

He also cherry-picked his themeparks. It has to be Calaway or Marineland? What are his criteria? What are the metrics? Does he have food standards?

What are his opinions on the ethical treatment of Dolphins, Whales and Seals and how does he economically accommodate for that in his rankings? Is he unwilling to spend an $0.04 for entry if it means an ethical treatment for animals?

I could do this all day.

He was angling for something and I'm glad they told him to 'shove it.'
Let's be clear: This guy is still an obnoxious attention whore looking for a freebie.

Bob the manager from Calaway Park made a significant error in judgement with the phone call threatening him without coming right out and saying it though. Once they gave him something juicy to post online it was all over.

Calaway park made the tiny speck on their shirt into a huge stain by smearing it all around in their ham handed attempt to make it go away.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #72
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Let's be clear: This guy is still an obnoxious attention whore looking for a freebie.

Bob the manager from Calaway Park made a significant error in judgement with the phone call threatening him without coming right out and saying it though. Once they gave him something juicy to post online it was all over.

Calaway park made the tiny speck on their shirt into a huge stain by smearing it all around in their ham handed attempt to make it go away.
Oh hey...nobody is covering themselves in Glory here. On that we can agree.

But this guy is a grifter. He was trying to shame people into giving him free stuff.

Free Stuff? I cant imagine anything that Calaway Park could give me that I'd want...other than a Lifetime Pass of "Never being allowed in."

But at the same time, come on....this dude has to be in his 30s and he's whining about rides for children?

Its just a themepark man. It just a local themepark. This is Calgary, not Las Vegas.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #73
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one that goes to Calaway Park gives a #### what that doofus said.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #74
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It's funny watching people get upset about this guy who clearly didn't even watch the TikTok to begin with or look into this... at all.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:04 PM   #75
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where’s the best place for Calaway deals? I found 45% off coupons online Monday to Wednesday. We’ll be in the area next week.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #76
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is an interesting comparison between the two, but, meh, what are you going to do if you live in this area and want a theme park - go to the zoo instead? that is likely about the same cost.

Call away likely gave joe dirte some free publicity with this.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:28 PM   #77
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Also I once saw a very young Glass Tiger play the main stage at Calaway.
Was pretty rad.
Don’t forget Gowen!! Friday nights at Calaway.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:42 PM   #78
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I highly recommend it. I never went as a kid, but I took my daughter there and that place is creepy as all hell. Its fantastic.

Its like an amusement park for children that was designed by space aliens who have never met a child.

Took my 3-4 yr old son here and thought everything was fine. He’s 21 and still dreams about running through the forest finding little fairytale houses and being terrified.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:22 AM   #79
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Is the "40 ft Fred" park (I think somewhere in BC) still around? I remember them advertising non stop on Calgary TV as a kid and because of all the hype of that park was excited for Calgary to get a Flintstones park at the time!
No, the Flinsones Park ( Bedrock city )by kelowna here closed in the mid 90s 1998 to be exact ( all of them did )t . There's a knock of "dinosaur park " called dinotown by cultus lake . That blew chunks. There was also a Flintstones inspired one near hope too which has also closed .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:29 AM   #80
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The enchanted Forrest is terrible too. Hated it as a kid and hate it as an adult. Its just a part of the woods I grew up in and they stick stupid gnomes all over the place. .... you.could walk any hiking trail in revel smoke for free and get almost the same damn experience with out the gnomes you wanna punt.

I grew up for the first part of my life 8n the prairies so when I visited my mother in bc the Forrest was cool and interesting and this was one of the first attractions she brought me too. It was cool only because I lived in #### all flatness but the next year when I ended up living in bc I though " cool mom. You paid too walk in yhe Forrest we could walk 8n on the otherwise of the fence for nothing.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post: