Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #1061
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I’m putting food down my gullet constantly, providing the materials for growth and regeneration of all my cells, including follicles. What’s the equivalent process for grass? I spread fertilizer every 6 weeks and a bit of topsoil in trouble spots at the start of the growing season, but that’s a tiny amount of material compared to what I’m removing by mowing and bagging.
Ever see a big bright yellow thing in the sky?
Canadianman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #1062
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, photosynthesis turns CO2, water and sunlight into sugars, so it's creating mass that way.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #1063
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I’m putting food down my gullet constantly, providing the materials for growth and regeneration of all my cells, including follicles. What’s the equivalent process for grass? I spread fertilizer every 6 weeks and a bit of topsoil in trouble spots at the start of the growing season, but that’s a tiny amount of material compared to what I’m removing by mowing and bagging.
I guess just think about a tree in the forest - plants are amazing in they turn micro nutrients, sun, air, and water into giant masses. So if you end up with, say, 1 tonne of wood from the tree, it isn't as if 1 tonne or even 1/2 tonne of soil was "eaten up" to make the tree and now you have 1 tonne less dirt in the forest. The bulk of the tree is carbon based cells created from water and CO2, simply facilitated through those nutrients in the soil. I'm making up numbers, but I would expect that a tree would be, say, 1% micro nutrients from the soil, and 99% of the tree mass would be created from water and air. So in the forest example, assuming there are no additions of nutrients at all, the soil around it would have lost 1% of the trees mass in nutrients.

So in your case, you're replenishing the nutrients that are being used in growing the grass, plus your bagging is not 100% effective so there is mass re-added that way as well, but just like the trees, the bulk of the grass created is from the water and air, not soil.

Another example if its not "clicking" is hydroponics. There is no soil involved at all to "lose", yet giant amounts of plant matter is created from the same mix of water, air, light, and nutrients.

Last edited by Ducay; 07-07-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #1064
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

duh, back to grade 7 science class I go. so now it makes sense that I'm actually only removing a minuscule amount of what was originally soil during each mow, and that could even be made up by just the settling of random organic material brought in by wind, etc.

I can now sleep at night knowing this Fermi-sized paradox has been resolved.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #1065
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea what to do with tropical plants that are browning at the tips? Should I remove the whole leaf or just can I trim off the dead part?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #1066
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Anyone have a line on where to get Propiconazole based lawn fungicide for a home-gamer? Its sold widely in the states, but in Canada seems to be sold for commercial uses mostly. Imagine golf courses, etc, all have easy access

I normally bring it over the border, but with that being closed, my lawn is starting to show some signs of needing it!
bump - surely someone knows someone who works at a golf course? Even could get away with just an ounce or so!

Last edited by Ducay; 07-14-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #1067
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

North facing section of lawn that's shady almost all day. Grass grows long and fast, but it's sparse and damp. Any options for alternative green ground cover? Clover etc.?

This is also the best flat space for our toddler, so hoping for something forgiving, hardy, and non-toxic!

Artificial turf seems somewhat inevitable, but would be keen to explore clover or something else first. The rest of the yard is a big deck and lots of rock (big pea gravel/small river rock), so don't really want to go with more stone/mulch.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #1068
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
bump - surely someone knows someone who works at a golf course? Even could get away with just an ounce or so!

All you're getting with an ounce of propiconazole is DMI resistant fungi.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #1069
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did a few covid projects, biggest one being a patio install. Big thanks to Fuzz at Dill Pickle Tool Rental for some supplies.

My wife picked the plants which really tie the space together, plan is to build a garden shed beside the patio with some speakers/lighting for the patio to finish the space off.

I don't know how to embed the picture apparently but here is the link -
https://imgur.com/a/rLpbkUY

Last edited by puckedoff; 07-18-2020 at 08:31 AM.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #1070
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks great, I like the pattern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #1071
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Hey Fuzz - how many patios has that compactor installed now? Looks great puckedoff

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #1072
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 so far, 3 more jobs on the books!
Old 07-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #1073
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Harvested the first of a promising batch of Zucchini tonight. Feels good, man.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #1074
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Harvested the first of a promising batch of Zucchini tonight. Feels good, man.
The police want their cut.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #1075
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I've recently noticed all the poplar fluff from June is now sprouting across my lawn and garden beds.

Anything I can do about it now or I should have been smarter and vacuumed it up when I had the chance?
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:07 PM   #1076
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to post a ton of pictures, just the finished product.

ibb.co/myTbRQR

We bought our house four years ago. The yard had a little pond in one corner but we ripped it out because we had a two year old. There were three annoying apple trees, and many different rats nests throughout the yard of half dead bushes and shrubs, and an old patio that sloped into the house. We did work throughout the years since moving in but this year we finally tore the old patio out and poured a newer and bigger one, planted a ton of plants and shrubs and five new trees, and finally new sod. It's all done. Finally.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #1077
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's talk garden hoses. How are those new expandable hoses? What advice would you give to a young man about to buy his first garden hose for personal use? If you were a garden hose, what kind of garden hose would you be?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #1078
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Let's talk garden hoses. How are those new expandable hoses? What advice would you give to a young man about to buy his first garden hose for personal use? If you were a garden hose, what kind of garden hose would you be?
I really like rubber hoses because you can roll them up easy, how you would properly roll up an extension cord. They have a natural twist.

The plasticy ones drive me insane, and are all over the place. The rubber ones lay flat.

Anyway, I recently purchase a Stanley fatmax hose on sale because I’m picky about the things I mentioned, and it’s fantastic.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #1079
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had a new fence installed recently using 4x6 pressure treated posts. Looked good initially, but noticing some splitting on some of them. Is this something that I should to worry about, or is this just a natural process?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #1080
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Depends how far you need it to reach. For my back yard where I need it to go across the yard I agree with Scroopy Noopers. Rubber, and get a high quality one. Cheap ones kink easily, even if they're described as "kink free." For my front yard I don't need it to go very far, I got one of the expandable ones and it works fine, I think if you had a long one it would take forever to empty though. But again a decent rubber hose would have worked there too.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies