Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #1
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default What would be the best way of watching live hockey while camping?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on going camping for August long and some of the guys and myself were thinking it may be a neat idea to try to broadcast the August 1-2 marathon days of hockey while we are out there. Maybe just have a TV set up in the back of a truck and such.
I was just wondering what you guys think the best way of doing that would be in terms of having high quality, lack of delay/buffering, and low cost.
We are going to be camping in an area fairly close to a highway that we know so reception shouldn't be a problem. I have unlimited data through Rogers on my phone but it drops off after 10 gigs of usage so I imagine it may be too slow to use a hotspot. I also have Telus PikTV on my phone which I could potentially screen share but even with wifi it barely works in my house.
Any idea what would be the safest option to use would be? I don't mind spending some cash as long as it gives me a better chance of this working. How effective are pocket wifi devices(mifi)?
Any help would be great. Also, my wife would agree that this is a silly idea.
YourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #2
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Camp out at a frozen lake, play hockey.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Camp near pub, go to pub
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Usb tether to a laptop and run game center
From there you could hook up speakers and a mini projector.

White sheet and you're all set.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #5
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Usb tether to a laptop and run game center
From there you could hook up speakers and a mini projector.

White sheet and you're all set.
Would a laptop on a hotspot definitely be efficient enough to keep lag and such minimal though? Not a bad idea but purchasing a mini projector seems unnecessary. I have a new 40 inch sharp smart TV that I don't mind hauling out there which I imagine would be easy to set up screen sharing as well.

I know there are a few ways of doing this but just would like to hear what people think the absolute best way would be in terms of having a great, secure connection.
YourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #6
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tell your wife you’re heading into town to “pick up some supplies”. Return 3 hours later, half drunk wearing your jersey.

Wait, nvm, I’m gonna use that one.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe you can get a phone to HDMI cable. That might be the simplest, straight from cell data to a TV on the tailgate. Whatever you go with, give it a test run beforehand.

Projecting might be a challenge for the daytime games.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:28 PM   #8
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of these options will "work" technically, but there will invariably be lots of buffering and streaming issues that will likely kill the vibe. I'd suggest heading to a pub or just doing without (you're camping after all)
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #9
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Tell your wife you’re heading into town to “pick up some supplies”. Return 3 hours later, half drunk wearing your jersey.

Wait, nvm, I’m gonna use that one.
Really sad you couldn’t tell your wife the truth. How many guys would lie to their wife? As a wife it seems to me, just be honest.
Let me go out with the girls later.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #10
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Shaw blue curve on a wifi connected device outputting to a projector, use sheets as a screen. it works every time!

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 07-13-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:40 PM   #11
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check your campground against carrier coverage maps.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:19 AM   #12
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

During the 2004 run I was able to bring a set of rabbit ears out into the forest and watch a couple Flames vs Detroit games with some friends. It was awesome. Will never forget that experience.

Since I think they turned off analog signals I dont think thats an option anymore unfortunately.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:27 AM   #13
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

nm
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:43 AM   #14
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Really sad you couldn’t tell your wife the truth. How many guys would lie to their wife? As a wife it seems to me, just be honest.
Let me go out with the girls later.
I thought my post was dripping in sarcasm, but obviously this wasn’t picked up by some folks...
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 07:06 AM   #15
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The previous advice to find a bar is sound. I’ve done that with CFL games while camping. My wife knows how much I love my Eskimos and was obliging to give me up for three hours. The most memorable time I was fortunate that there was a bar a 10-minute walk away. I staggered home.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:17 AM   #16
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use usb tether from my phone to laptop all the time, for streaming and gaming when I'm away at work. Never have any buffer/lag issues as long as I have 4G.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #17
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
During the 2004 run I was able to bring a set of rabbit ears out into the forest and watch a couple Flames vs Detroit games with some friends. It was awesome. Will never forget that experience.

Since I think they turned off analog signals I dont think thats an option anymore unfortunately.
Why isn't that an option with digital signals? The only consideration is that you'd need to be closer to the transmitter, as the digital signal is either crystal clear, or nothing at all.

If using your phone's data, you may want to look at putting it onto 3G. Full HD of a game uses 1 GB per period on LTE.

Another option, does anybody have satellite? Bring a spare dish, the only tricky part sometimes is aiming it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #18
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I took a 4G router with me on my last trip to connect all my devices, found it to be better at getting a stronger signal no matter where I was, instead of just using my cell phone hot spot.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:34 AM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post

That sounds incredible.

I was traveling for work a lot in 2004, and I can remember which hotel room or bar I was in for key games.

Your experience sounds better but mine was OK.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #20
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Why isn't that an option with digital signals? The only consideration is that you'd need to be closer to the transmitter, as the digital signal is either crystal clear, or nothing at all.

If using your phone's data, you may want to look at putting it onto 3G. Full HD of a game uses 1 GB per period on LTE.

Another option, does anybody have satellite? Bring a spare dish, the only tricky part sometimes is aiming it.
I think it would be an option if you are close enough to a transmitter, problem is there is not very many around so coverage is pretty sparse.

From https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/arti...er-in-my-area-

"When Canada made the switch from analogue to digital television transmission, we weren’t able to replace all of the towers in our system to create the same over-the-air network that existed for analogue transmission, which has been decommissioned.

In the end, CBC/Radio-Canada installed a digital transmitter for every one of its television production centres for a total of 27 transmitters across the country (14 for CBC and 13 for Radio-Canada). Each tower costs in excess of $1 million and there are no plans now to add more to the existing footprint."
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote