Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #3861
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Master bedroom is an issue now...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...om/ar-BB166f2L

Quote:
The term can imply that there is a master who oversees the household, typically a male, and from a historical perspective, as a master of slaves.

I hadn't thought of that implication before and I guess it's a small and relatively insignificant example of how embedded racism can get.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #3862
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Master and slave photographic flashes are under the gun too.

But if they come for Master Yoda, I'm going to the Dark Side. Wait, what?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #3863
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Yeah, I've heard that one before too.

If someone tells me racism doesn't exist, I tell them to go to dinner with a black man/woman of the opposite sex, so people think you are on a date and if they do they will see it within minutes because there will be at least 5 people eye ####ing you for mixing the whites with the colors.
Two of my former girlfriends were black.

This is so true.

It's all so stupid.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #3864
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe some of them were checking out your girlfriends?
Old 07-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #3865
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

And whatever poor english accent you choose will be deemed racist.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #3866
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
On the subject of Blackface, it really doesn't bother me when it's done in a TV show, movie, or play as long as it isn't being done to mock the race.
I'm glad you put this as I was going to ask you or Acey's opinion.

When I was 10, I wore blackface for halloween so I could be Grant Fuhr. I loved Grant Fuhr, as in I legit wanted to be Grant Fuhr. I've wondered a few times how that would be perceived now if the photos I know existing somewhere in my mom's albums were to 'get out.' I mean to ask my parents too what kind of thought or caution they had about me wearing it at the time.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #3867
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I have the exact same take on that.

Also, I think the master/slave thing is dumb. In the case of flash or gyros it is a very descriptive method that outlines how they behave. If I was setting up my flashes and somebody yelled, "THAT FLASH IS A SLAVE LIKE YOU SHOULD BE" or something then... maybe? It's pretty much the same as playing the black national anthem and thinking that is somehow combating racism.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:29 PM   #3868
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post

I hadn't thought of that implication before and I guess it's a small and relatively insignificant example of how embedded racism can get.

That is ridiculous.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:55 PM   #3869
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
More vigilante justice against peaceful protestors by Ya'll Qaeda

Edit:tweet removed, likely for violence

https://twitter.com/user/status/1279343116038766594
Hey, the member of Ya'll Qaeda has been identified. Did you see that or have we moved on already?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:13 AM   #3870
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post

When I was 10, I wore blackface for halloween so I could be Grant Fuhr. I loved Grant Fuhr, as in I legit wanted to be Grant Fuhr. I've wondered a few times how that would be perceived now if the photos I know existing somewhere in my mom's albums were to 'get out.' I mean to ask my parents too what kind of thought or caution they had about me wearing it at the time.
Maybe it is because I am older, but I understand that times were different back then and things that are unacceptable now, were acceptable then, even if it wasn't racially sensitive. I also firmly believe there is a massive difference between something racially insensitive and that person being racist.

I went as Freddie Brathwaite for Halloween when I was younger and I used make-up to darken my skin tone to be closer to his as well. I'd also went as Lanny and lightened my skin. I wouldn't do either any more, but there is nothing wrong with a child wanting to look like someone they look up to.

As long as you have since learned why blackface is hurtful, then I hold no ill will. I also felt the same way regarding Trudeau when it came out.

When I first started posting here, it was just prior to the stuff with Aliu and Peters and that topic was the first I ever really got engaged in. I kept quiet about my race during that time because of some people may have reacted. I was one of the few not labeling Peters as a racist, and saying it was possibly just racially insensitive because I had a similar experience with my white father, a man who is the furthest thing from racist. When I brought home Snoop Dogg's first album and he threw it out the window of the moving car and said almost the exact same thing as Peters except worded slightly better and made it clear that his issue was with the repetition of the N word being used.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 12:27 AM   #3871
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I have the exact same take on that.

Also, I think the master/slave thing is dumb. In the case of flash or gyros it is a very descriptive method that outlines how they behave. If I was setting up my flashes and somebody yelled, "THAT FLASH IS A SLAVE LIKE YOU SHOULD BE" or something then... maybe? It's pretty much the same as playing the black national anthem and thinking that is somehow combating racism.
I snorted when I read that fake quote in a Southern accent, wifey thinks I'm losing my mind.

Also in regards to master/slave origins, let's not forget that every race has been owned slaves, sold/traded/kidnapped slaves and also been slaves themselves. Using the term to refer to a bedroom or photography or computers doesn't make it inherently racist. The concept of slavery is actually more classist and often more religious in nature than racial, as even for American slavery much of it was rich black men selling poor black men to the white Europeans who moved them across the Atlantic. It evolved into a racial thing afterwards because all the North American slaves looked different than everyone else in the continent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 12:43 AM   #3872
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I snorted when I read that fake quote in a Southern accent, wifey thinks I'm losing my mind.

Also in regards to master/slave origins, let's not forget that every race has been owned slaves, sold/traded/kidnapped slaves and also been slaves themselves. Using the term to refer to a bedroom or photography or computers doesn't make it inherently racist. The concept of slavery is actually more classist and often more religious in nature than racial, as even for American slavery much of it was rich black men selling poor black men to the white Europeans who moved them across the Atlantic. It evolved into a racial thing afterwards because all the North American slaves looked different than everyone else in the continent.
You are right, slavery used to be normal. The city of Prague was built by European slaves enslaved by other Europeans. Many other Europeans were sold down the Silk Road.

The idea of slavery in the North American context has become interchangeable with the Trans-Atlantic African slave trade. But at the same time the Trans-Atlantic slavery was going on, there were roughly a million European slaves in North Africa. There were European slaves there until as late as the 1830s.

American slavery was especially ugly though as it introduced the idea of chattel slavery and people being born into slavery, something that was not common at the time.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:34 AM   #3873
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
That is ridiculous.
So is ripping down another statue of a man who came to America over 500 years ago. I think this is the 4th one. JUST STUPID

Old 07-05-2020, 03:23 AM   #3874
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post

My grandparents were British and when they would send me cards or gifts for holidays it was addressed to me as "Master (My Name)" I guess that's what they did when they considered you were too young to be a Mister. But it also is from "Master of the Estate".

I use to love it. Maybe I just secretly was pretending I was a Slave Owner?

But the term "Master Bedroom" is just a harmless call back to the "Master of the Estate" having the biggest room in the house. It doesn't have anything to do with racism.

Last edited by savemedrzaius; 07-05-2020 at 03:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 03:57 AM   #3875
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
My grandparents were British and when they would send me cards or gifts for holidays it was addressed to me as "Master (My Name)" I guess that's what they did when they considered you were too young to be a Mister. But it also is from "Master of the Estate".

I use to love it. Maybe I just secretly was pretending I was a Slave Owner?

But the term "Master Bedroom" is just a harmless call back to the "Master of the Estate" having the biggest room in the house. It doesn't have anything to do with racism.
If it was the "Massa" Bedroom then we could argue it was racist. I'll see myself out now.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #3876
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
So is ripping down another statue of a man who came to America over 500 years ago. I think this is the 4th one. JUST STUPID

I don’t think it is stupid.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/14/76908...us-peoples-day

Quote:
For Native Americans, Columbus Day has long been hurtful. It conjures the violent history of 500 years of colonial oppression at the hands of European explorers and those who settled here — a history whose ramifications and wounds still run deep today.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #3877
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I wouldn't call it stupid, but it really isn't going change systemic and institutional racism, which is what we are fighting for. This stuff needs to be done in conjunction with something that actually brings about change.

Like the NFL for example, instead of playing the "black national anthem", donate to underfunded schools.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #3878
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Take all that #### down and put it in a museum.

No reason to glorify these people, but also no reason to forget. They are in public parks for glorification. It’s not necessary or appropriate.

This isn’t going away. I can’t imagine the cost of replacing/repairing/cleaning/pulling out of a river/charging 100+ people/ court dates for all those people, repeat, repeat.

Relocate them to private property already.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #3879
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

I don't want to argue about it but there are different definitions of the word master and the one that applies to you isn't necessarily the one that is universal. One definition is someone who masters a skill...a master electrician. A master's degree is bestowed upon someone who completes a certain degree. Another is one who owns slaves. Another is one who is master of the house, possibly your benevolent grandparents but equally applicable to a white male slave owner of a plantation. It's insignificant until it becomes one of a million other little things that seem harmless but have a tiny bit more going on than people know.

Quote:
I wouldn't call it stupid, but it really isn't going change systemic and institutional racism, which is what we are fighting for. This stuff needs to be done in conjunction with something that actually brings about change.

Like the NFL for example, instead of playing the "black national anthem", donate to underfunded schools.

I think you have to do it though. Those monuments were not intended to glorify southern pride, or bravery or heroism, or independence, or state rights, or anything of any historical importance. They were not intended to remind us of history so we don't repeat it. They were created to further a segregated agenda and Jim Crow. Leaving them up in the face of what's going on is just sort of weird.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #3880
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s always this Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk