Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk about the Calgary Police Service

Seems that hardly a few days go by any more without the CPS making the news for negative reasons - officers bearing suspects, domestic issues. I get these folks have high stress jobs and sometime adrenalin may impair an officers judgement.

How does CP feel about the CPS. Seems that when Rick Hansen was in charge there were not in the news as much. Coincidence?

discuss
Old 10-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably because he seems like more of the politician type and was good at covering these things up. If you look at the dates of most of the negative publicity stuff that's coming out it's mostly from when he was in charge.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like CPS and I think they do a lot of good for the city, but they're stumbling recently. I don't know what the cause is, maybe leadership I don't know. Hopefully just a rough patch. Pretty much every member I've ever dealt with personally has been fantastic.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

They're human beings doing a very tough job. Individuals should be held accountable when they screw up, but I don't think it's helpful to label all of them as problem or look for some deep issue.

I'd bet the good ones vastly outweigh the bad. I've got no problem with that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

the blue shield culture is systemic across North America.

There should be a civilian-run entity that investigates every complaint against police officers.

Fund it out of multanova tickets.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #6
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they're people just like everyone else. I've always been treated very respectfully, but then again, my only interactions have been vehicle related, and I'm a nicely dressed white male driving a decent car.

Some of the stories I've heard from my wife, who teaches high school in a less advantaged part of town are not so complimentary. The one where all the black kids on the basketball team got loitering tickets while they were waiting for their bus to a game and none of the white kids did I found especially offensive. (principal went to station and got the tickets cancelled, but still)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
the blue shield culture is systemic across North America.
I think we need more police officers and less law enforcement officers. The CPS does have some of the former and it is a blessing to have them walking the beat.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
I think we need more police officers and less law enforcement officers. The CPS does have some of the former and it is a blessing to have them walking the beat.
Care to provide an explanation of what that distinction means?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too many idiots taking cellphone videos...and misinformation on Facebook has more to do with it!
Old 10-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #10
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Care to provide an explanation of what that distinction means?
Police officers are there to serve and protect. They are important civil servants that do much more than just chase bad guys and break down doors. Law enforcement officers are there to primarily enforce the law (e.g. chasing bad guys and breaking down doors). I'd bet that most of the CPS officers that are guilty of domestic violence and workplace harassment probably identify more as law enforcement officers than police officers.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #11
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I've made this comment before. And I don't want to paint with a wide brush. But from my personal experience, every guy I grew up with that took the LEO path, was a massive bully, or just a cruel a-hole. One bullied a kid, and tormented him so long and so viciously, it was likely a factor in his victims suicide. Like we're talking stripping him down naked below the waist in a school field, and having 50 kids laugh at him, or another one I remember, picking massive boogers, and shoving his fingers in the kids mouth. One day he just never showed up, and we found out a few days later he hung himself. Another one I knew, did some stuff in High School, that would have landed him a very long prison sentence had he done this stuff to women as an adult just a year or two later.

It has always made me question the validity of their vetting process, as these types of sociopathic tendencies, you'd think would be caught. So either the system is too easy to beat, or they are looking for bullies and rapists. My guess would be the former, and they need to seriously look at their hiring practices, and mental fitness assessments.

The other bizarre thing I always found, were cops kids, were usually the absolute worst of the worst. Dealing drugs, stealing, acting with total impunity. You'd think if your old man was catching bad guys, you'd be the other way around.

Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of good police officers out there. But I think there are a lot more bad ones than anyone in Law Enforcement is willing to admit. And with these recent claims being made by the women in CPS, it sounds far more widespread than anyone thought.

Last edited by pylon; 10-29-2016 at 11:02 AM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #12
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't dealt with many officers but on the few occasions where I have it seems like the older officers, I'm assuming with more experience, are much better at dealing with situations and the public. The younger officers are usually #######s and have a much more aggressive/confrontational demeanour. The UK officers seem to be the best to deal with (I think the CPS had a big surge in hiring about 5 years ago where they brought over a significant number of officers from the UK.)
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Aside from me drunkley trying to strike up conversations with the Gang suppression unit at bars (I have no idea why- just plain awkward), I have only really had a few interactions with cops over my life time, most of them in the form of me getting traffic tickers.

Each time, I was wrong and they were great to deal with.

I admit I have had a pretty lucky life so I don't see the other side when they're in high stress situations and potentially acting incorrectly or just plain wrong.

However, my experience with CPS has been that we are lucky they hold themselves to such high standards when compared to other cities. Luck may be the incorrect word as it is expected of them maybe?
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Seems that hardly a few days go by any more without the CPS making the news for negative reasons - officers bearing suspects, domestic issues. I get these folks have high stress jobs and sometime adrenalin may impair an officers judgement.

How does CP feel about the CPS. Seems that when Rick Hansen was in charge there were not in the news as much. Coincidence?

discuss
Thoughts are most do good work and we disproportionately hear about the bad apples and also the situations that got out of hand where good cops are lumped in with the few bad apples. Don't hear a lot of stories about the cop who stood in the blizzard in minus 30 directing traffic so people could get to work or the cops that have to show up in frigid temperatures to pick up a crashed car because some dummy was texting.

I've been saved by cops more than once from drunk/tweaked out psychos looking to unleash their psycho and the police fortunately happened to be around.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
They're human beings doing a very tough job. Individuals should be held accountable when they screw up, but I don't think it's helpful to label all of them as problem or look for some deep issue.

I'd bet the good ones vastly outweigh the bad. I've got no problem with that.
Of course the good ones outweigh the bad. Think that goes without saying.

Problem is when one female Calgary police officer claims several different men she worked with sent her nudes after their shift was over I think there is a problem.

Several other women who work for the police have claimed sexual harrasment but we should just be happy the "good outweigh the bad"?

There is a sexual harrasment problem within the Calgary police service and also actually the 911 call Center with several men claiming sexual harrasment as well.

This isn't a time to start off paragraphs with "they're humans who do a tough job" doing a tough job doesn't make you break a mans ribs and severely injuring him. Doing a tough job doesn't make you drive to your ex wife's home while on duty and assault her bf and threaten him. doing a tough job doesn't excuse you sending dick pics to your fellow officers.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
Too many idiots taking cellphone videos...and misinformation on Facebook has more to do with it!
woah... where have you been??? It feels like I haven't seen you post for years.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find that they operate using fear more than being part of 'community'. They seem more military than civilian, for example they have changed their slogan to "Courage, Vigilance, Pride" and removed any public accountability from it. They enforce more 'policy' than 'law' and profit far too much off of the public. A police force that benefits off ticketing the public is a dangerous policy and a conflict of interest. For example, there is no multanova in Ottawa and it is approximately the same size as Calgary, and they have the same (or less) accidents at intersections than Calgary.

The Police enforce the completely gender bias family law system, and domestic violence system.

I'm not alone in my feelings. Here is a poll on the Police force approval rating. http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ry-police-poll

The Police are a necessity, but they are definitely a profit tool currently and they need to be reformed along with most of the justice department.

There was a news video about the profit that one county creates through traffic violations and it was the most, by far, in the USA. Obviously this is not the USA but Canada operates similarly to the USA. However, I can't find it now.

A topical Last week tonight story.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Although I've seen a few incidents of CPS being dicks, for the most part my experience with them has been positive.

EMS on the other hand, I've had half a dozen interactions and all of them have been overwhelmingly negative. They've been rude, incompetent and generally unhelpful. I'm actually surprised that there isn't more of a push to have them wear body cams. On two separate occasions I had the misfortune of calling 911 for people that had emergencies and both times the EMS that showed up were verbally abusive to the people who needed help. One had just had a seizure (his first ever) and another was an elderly man who slipped and fell and was injured quite badly.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #19
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Although I've seen a few incidents of CPS being dicks, for the most part my experience with them has been positive.

EMS on the other hand, I've had half a dozen interactions and all of them have been overwhelmingly negative. They've been rude, incompetent and generally unhelpful. I'm actually surprised that there isn't more of a push to have them wear body cams. On two separate occasions I had the misfortune of calling 911 for people that had emergencies and both times the EMS that showed up were verbally abusive to the people who needed help. One had just had a seizure (his first ever) and another was an elderly man who slipped and fell and was injured quite badly.
When was the last time you saw that an EMT had killed someone in the course of their duties? Think about what you said; you want EMS to wear on-body cameras because of verbal abuse. That sounds much more cost effective than making a complaint with Alberta Health.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
When was the last time you saw that an EMT had killed someone in the course of their duties? Think about what you said; you want EMS to wear on-body cameras because of verbal abuse. That sounds much more cost effective than making a complaint with Alberta Health.

That's not what I said.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote