Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #921
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

A HAWCS helicopter followed me one night while I was going for a run in River Park. Shone the spotlight on me for a good 20 seconds. It was unnerving. Especially since I was listening to OK, Computer on the headphones.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:08 AM   #922
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a CBC documentary on the Calgary Police Service focusing on three incidents.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/cbc-docs-po...5a-012e98cd87c

I'd just encourage everyone to watch but here's a 'brief' rundown:

Godfred Addai-Nyamekye's Starlight Tour by two thug officers and then assaulted by a separate officer repeating calling 911 for help.

Spoiler!

Daniel Haworth's assault by Const. Lindsay.

Spoiler!

Anthony Heffernan's killing by police.

Spoiler!

Former chief Chaffin talks about how his goal was to get more transparency and accountable and how that pissed off the police union. There's talk about the bad apple and the bad barrel.

Addai-Nyamekye nails it at the end when he says there's good officers but where were they during his incident? There was numerous police involved, not just the two kidnappers, not just the assaulter, and what "good" did they do?

Not touched in the documentary, but how can an officer call dispatch and tell every single officer not to help out someone if they get a call from a man in East Village about freezing? Why aren't the "good" police speaking out against #### like that?

Finally for those who don't believe that the crown would charge someone innocent (specifically Weitz and ||Whiteout|), they briefly have a lawyer talk about that very issue. He talks about how much the crown prosecutor and police work together. If you aren't going to watch the documentary, at least watch from about 24 minutes to 26 minutes
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 AM   #923
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

He was the drug addict called by the hotel for a wellness check and ended up dead because he had a syringe in his hand. The same officer would go onto shoot the man in the wheelchair with a gun.

This one I think is more 'grey' but there is some serious questions around it. Why was only one officer fearing for his life that he needed to shoot, when the others were happy to try tasers? And how reliable is the ASIRT if they have yet to do anything at all for any of the police shootings? Especially when Calgary is one of the worst on a per-capita basis in North Americar?

Just a note on your point regarding the Heffernan shooting. ASIRT determined that there was sufficient grounds to charge, it was the crowns office who determined the likelihood of prosecution was so low it did not warrant them taking it to trial. So calling out ASIRT on this one is misguided. Have you gone back to review the ASIRT releases following any of the shootings? They are extremely thorough. For instance below is the link to the last one, give it a read and see. You can go back and read as many as you want to make judgement on them

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...80A50C714C7967
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cznTiburon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 12:54 AM   #924
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is police brutality a left-right issue? I've voted the furthest right major party in every AB election since I turned 18. Olings last couple of posts are horrifying.

I'm a big believer in freedom from unnecessary government intervention in the lives of people. It seems to me that the government's agents forcefully ending someone's life is the most serious intervention they could undertake. The police have a state mandated monopoly on the use of force - that alone should mean they are held to a very high standard.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #925
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's a CBC documentary on the Calgary Police Service focusing on three incidents.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/cbc-docs-po...5a-012e98cd87c

I'd just encourage everyone to watch but here's a 'brief' rundown:

Godfred Addai-Nyamekye's Starlight Tour by two thug officers and then assaulted by a separate officer repeating calling 911 for help.

Spoiler!

Daniel Haworth's assault by Const. Lindsay.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Former chief Chaffin talks about how his goal was to get more transparency and accountable and how that pissed off the police union. There's talk about the bad apple and the bad barrel.

Addai-Nyamekye nails it at the end when he says there's good officers but where were they during his incident? There was numerous police involved, not just the two kidnappers, not just the assaulter, and what "good" did they do?

Not touched in the documentary, but how can an officer call dispatch and tell every single officer not to help out someone if they get a call from a man in East Village about freezing? Why aren't the "good" police speaking out against #### like that?

Finally for those who don't believe that the crown would charge someone innocent (specifically Weitz and ||Whiteout|), they briefly have a lawyer talk about that very issue. He talks about how much the crown prosecutor and police work together. If you aren't going to watch the documentary, at least watch from about 24 minutes to 26 minutes
When have I ever said that?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #926
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

[spoiler]He was the drug addict called by the hotel for a wellness check and ended up dead because he had a syringe in his hand. The same officer would go onto shoot the man in the wheelchair with a gun.
Just a point of minor correction, as someone I know was one the the responders. 3 people shot at McQueen (wheelchair guy), but it was the TAC team's sniper that hit McQueen, not Heffernan.

That case seemed more cut and dry, as sad as it is. He shot at a bus driver and numerous police officers. They tried to use gas on him, but he came out and aimed a weapon at police again.

It's important the news and others don't cherry pick things that add to the sensationalism of the story such as saying "he shot the guy in the wheelchair too" when they aren't false, as it starts to discredit a very important message.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #927
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...sirt-1.3440590

Quote:
The Calgary police officer who shot and killed Anthony Heffernan in a motel room last year — and has not yet been cleared of wrongdoing — was also involved in the shooting death of another man, according to CBC sources.

The officer was one of three who opened fire on Dave McQueen on Jan. 25, a man in a wheelchair who was killed after engaging in a shootout with police.
Heffernan was the man killed. His shooter also shot at McQueen. Not sure where the confusion lies.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #928
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
When have I ever said that?
Quote:
One has to think the prosecutors looked at the body cam footage prior to laying charges. If you are just going to assume the prosecutors and cops are in cahoots then there isn't much to discuss I guess.
Comments like that when video shows clear misconduct from police and yet the victim was charged (and dropped after media attention). Nobody who saw the video should have been on the side of the police or the prosecutors but you did, for lack of better term, an appeal to authority.

If you watch the video (24-26 minutes-ish), not that there's really much additional information but the lawyer goes on to talk about how the police and prosecutors are usually in cahoots. And normally that works when you don't have any bad actors.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-14-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #929
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Comments like that when video shows clear misconduct from police and yet the victim was charged (and dropped after media attention). Nobody who saw the video should have been on the side of the police or the prosecutors but you did, for lack of better term, an appeal to authority.

If you watch the video (24-26 minutes-ish), not that there's really much additional information but the lawyer goes on to talk about how the police and prosecutors are usually in cahoots. And normally that works when you don't have any bad actors.
That is a far cry from charging someone you think is innocent which is what you alluded to.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #930
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is a far cry from charging someone you think is innocent which is what you alluded to.
Not alluding to at all. Stating out right. It's what happened. You're still trying to say the victim, who had the charges dismissed once the video made into the news, was somehow a criminal? Jeeze.

If the prosecutors weren't working so close with the police. Didn't rely on them for their job. This doesn't happen. But when they have to defer so much to the police, inevitable this will happen. There's no easy solution except removing cops like the one who assaulted the lady in her own home.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #931
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not alluding to at all. Stating out right. It's what happened. You're still trying to say the victim, who had the charges dismissed once the video made into the news, was somehow a criminal? Jeeze.

If the prosecutors weren't working so close with the police. Didn't rely on them for their job. This doesn't happen. But when they have to defer so much to the police, inevitable this will happen. There's no easy solution except removing cops like the one who assaulted the lady in her own home.
When did I say they were a criminal? My original comment was that the prosecutor must have thought they had a case when charges were laid, more of a general comment. Now obviously that isn't the case. Theres lots of good things that are coming out and this documentary looks like a good watch that I will take in when I have some time. You obviously have a bone to pick with me for whatever reason.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #932
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

No dude. I have no bone to pick. I was just trying to inform you about how the police and prosecutor, by flawed but ultimately the only design, are very often in cahoots. This isn't something new. And it's why I asked you to watch a video.

Police require the prosecutors, the prosecutors require the police. There's a professional relationship that can't be unattached. Prosecutors have to weigh their independence against the wishes of the police in an unfortunate balancing act. But this really shouldn't be something surprising, it's nothing new. And normally it works it's just in these occasions where you have video evidence of no wrong doing that we can see a fault in the system. The police never should have arrested her. She never should have been charged. That was two faults that should have been clear from the video but must be admitted to by now after the charges were dropped.

You don't even want to discuss that possibility with me, as shown in the quote, so I specifically pointed to someone else to tell you so you could take his word over mine.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-14-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #933
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my issue is I don't feel I have the opinion that you are trying to lay on me based on one post on the topic.

Anyways, it looks like there are some large scale issues and I will take your recommendation to watch the documentary. I am all for an overhaul to the system. As someone who has exactly zero experience with the justice system even I can even see some huge flaws. I think your comment about the working together as opposed to independently with police seems like a flaw that could be rectified in some way.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #934
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Heffernan was the man killed. His shooter also shot at McQueen. Not sure where the confusion lies.
"Shot at". That's not what the source you originally posted said:

Quote:
The same officer would go onto shoot the man in the wheelchair with a gun.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #935
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
"Shot at". That's not what the source you originally posted said:
That is a bit pedantic though as the intent when he shot at him was obviously to hit him. That said the guy was shooting at people and was obviously a threat to the general public considering he almost shot a bus driver. It isn't as though this was a police officer who was going out on the streets looking for random people to shoot as appears to be the implication.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #936
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes a "bit" pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
T It isn't as though this was a police officer who was going out on the streets looking for random people to shoot as appears to be the implication.
There was no implication. 99% of the board will recall the story of the wheelchair bound man with his gun shooting randomly. I made sure to mention it was the wheelchair guy with the gun.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-14-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #937
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Maybe pedantic because the story is decently personal to me, but seeing "shot him" made me actually go and look up the ASIRT report incase there was something I somehow totally missed after the original incident, where I confirmed it was "one of three officers that shot at him, but missed".

Makes sense that his intent was to hit him, thus relevant for the topic. Not saying he is or isn't a scumbag, I know nothing of him personally.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:16 AM   #938
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Somehow the police feel scared when a teen is re-arranging bottles in the back of the car. How does the police officer respond? That's a way to get shot.... Great job CPS.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-t...stop-1.5083892
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #939
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

A pig is a pig is a pig.

F*** the police.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #940
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Somehow the police feel scared when a teen is re-arranging bottles in the back of the car. How does the police officer respond? That's a way to get shot.... Great job CPS.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-t...stop-1.5083892
I agree not the best comment and could have been worded better, but really stupid by the guy to get out of his vehicle and dig around your backseat when an officer pulls you over. It's really simple, if you are pulled over by the police, don't disobey the police officer instructions.

Last edited by Fire; 08-30-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote