Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #301
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My eCommerce Agency is looking for a fresh-out-of-school marketing/tech person to add to our team.
Pros:
Get paid in USD.
Learn Amazon, FB, Shopify, and every other eComm platform

Cons:
No medical benefits

DM me if you know someone.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #302
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
was on temporary lay off since mid-april and just got the official lay off call this morning.

worked as an architectural technologist/designer for a local builder/developer.

not much faith in the home market restoring itself in yyc for the short term it seems.

now i'm torn. do i stay in my field or hit the reset button?

You don't need to do a hard reset, when I was out of work, I was doing everything to evaluate different paths going forward. Taking courses on PMP and Marketing. But keep your foot in your current search at the same time. You never know what will pop up.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #303
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I found work today, Drug & alcohol test and orientation tomorrow then I start Friday. It's not exactly my dream job or schedule, but it's work. Really glad I finally found something. Keep your heads up everyone

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #304
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Congrats FF, something is better then nothing.

As an update, this contract that I signed up to working with startups and building partnerships with the various startup groups in Canada and the US could be so incredibly cool, though its a lot of work to build the relationships.

Its amazing, doing meaningful work and coaching football again, some of my really dark thoughts have started to fade.

Also CPHL had a hand in it as well, great community.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #305
ryeguy252
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Congrats flamesfan and captaincrunch on landing your new positions. What sort of position and industry did you guys land?

Cheers
ryeguy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #306
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Congrats FF, something is better then nothing.

As an update, this contract that I signed up to working with startups and building partnerships with the various startup groups in Canada and the US could be so incredibly cool, though its a lot of work to build the relationships.

Its amazing, doing meaningful work and coaching football again, some of my really dark thoughts have started to fade.

Also CPHL had a hand in it as well, great community.
It always gets better. As someone that's been unemployed, at the time it feels hopeless and forever, but when you look back its merely a small detour on a long journey. Friends and family still look at you the same throughout.

Congrats to those finding positions, and keep your head up, there's always tomorrow for those still on their detour. Oh and never give up and go to Edmonton, that's a bagholder move.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #307
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy252 View Post
Congrats flamesfan and captaincrunch on landing your new positions. What sort of position and industry did you guys land?

Cheers
I got a job on the Southwest ring road project. Company said there is Atleast 2 years of work there so that's promising

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #308
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Now the interview requests start flooding in, I've had 8 in the last couple of days.

It always works that way, once you secure something the flood gates open.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #309
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Now the interview requests start flooding in, I've had 8 in the last couple of days.

It always works that way, once you secure something the flood gates open.
Sounds like dating

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #310
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I interviewed for a job last week. It seemed to go extremely well. The job description matched my experience almost 100%.

Today I found out that they are moving forward with someone else. It was so incredibly deflating. I'm not sure how I can keep my spirits up.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #311
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It sounds cheesy I know, but in this environment, you got an interview, its hyper competitive at the interview stage and its definitely a buyers market out there.

What was their feedback at the end of the interview. We're there any areas that they were unsure of or wobbling on?

Keep your spirits up, this is painful right now, but good breaks happen for good people.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:36 PM   #312
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The feedback that the hiring manager had nothing but great things to say about me. They decided to go in another direction with a candidate that could hit the ground running in other parts of the business (that weren't part of the job description).

I guess a bit of background, I'm an electrical engineer with with most of my experience being on the utilities side in substation protection, with some PM type of experience as well. The job description asked for a substation protection engineer. The person they hired apparently had that plus some extras in substation physical design, which I don't have.

The recruiter did reach out to me, suggesting other roles in the organization that I might be a fit for and did say that they can see me getting hired in the near future... Just the waiting around hoping for the best ultimately sucks very bad.

On another note, I did learn how to do coding fairly recently, but it seems that the tech industry is insanely dead, so I've all but given up on a career change.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #313
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's tough but your story is common. In a normal market companies will settle a bit because the selection isn't the best. Right now there are lots of people out of work, so Companies are getting the bonus of perfect fits with addtionals, probably at a lower salary.

On the coding side, I'm seeing more contract opportunities out there then any company bringing them on board as an employee.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #314
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
The feedback that the hiring manager had nothing but great things to say about me. They decided to go in another direction with a candidate that could hit the ground running in other parts of the business (that weren't part of the job description).

I guess a bit of background, I'm an electrical engineer with with most of my experience being on the utilities side in substation protection, with some PM type of experience as well. The job description asked for a substation protection engineer. The person they hired apparently had that plus some extras in substation physical design, which I don't have.

The recruiter did reach out to me, suggesting other roles in the organization that I might be a fit for and did say that they can see me getting hired in the near future... Just the waiting around hoping for the best ultimately sucks very bad.

On another note, I did learn how to do coding fairly recently, but it seems that the tech industry is insanely dead, so I've all but given up on a career change.

So there are quite a few positives here, and you don't have to look that hard. Biggest being that the recruiter reached back out to you!! So keep in touch with them, ask what they need to see, and chase it. This is where they get to see you as a person and hopefully see how your attitude and approach may be best for their culture.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 07-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #315
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was interviewing for a job that the process went for over a month, got through 2 interview stages. Today, after not heard back for a week, got an email from HR.

It says that they like my skills and experience, BUT they now have no money and the position is cancelled....

WTF!
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #316
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I was interviewing for a job that the process went for over a month, got through 2 interview stages. Today, after not heard back for a week, got an email from HR.

It says that they like my skills and experience, BUT they now have no money and the position is cancelled....

WTF!

That's just incompetence. A complete waste of everyone's time and resources. Unless they're lying to your face. But that's a waste of resources. If I as a manager pulled that, I'd be fired. Best you don't work there anyway.

Last edited by GirlySports; 07-22-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:31 AM   #317
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't understand how hiring and HR work. I applied for a job and shortly afterwards was asked to do an online pre-screening and after that I was asked to do a video interview. I was qualified based on the requirements and I figured I would be a good fit. I know there is a lot of competition though and there are no guarantees. After almost a week of waiting I emailed the HR contact and received an auto reply saying she was on vacation. I could understand why the process was taking do long. When she got back she emailed me and said they expected to move things along that week. At the end of the week I recieved a rejection email with no useful info. The following Monday I emailed her again to ask for more details on the rejection and if she could provide any advice moving forward. Surprisingly she was on vacation again last week. She emailed me back on Monday saying that they wanted someone with more experience (I met their requirements in the posting) and that she had no constructive criticism to provide but my resume was great. What a frustrating experience and process and useless feedback. I feel like this person honestly just didn't give a #### and it is a poor reflection on the company.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #318
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I just don't understand how hiring and HR work. I applied for a job and shortly afterwards was asked to do an online pre-screening and after that I was asked to do a video interview. I was qualified based on the requirements and I figured I would be a good fit. I know there is a lot of competition though and there are no guarantees. After almost a week of waiting I emailed the HR contact and received an auto reply saying she was on vacation. I could understand why the process was taking do long. When she got back she emailed me and said they expected to move things along that week. At the end of the week I recieved a rejection email with no useful info. The following Monday I emailed her again to ask for more details on the rejection and if she could provide any advice moving forward. Surprisingly she was on vacation again last week. She emailed me back on Monday saying that they wanted someone with more experience (I met their requirements in the posting) and that she had no constructive criticism to provide but my resume was great. What a frustrating experience and process and useless feedback. I feel like this person honestly just didn't give a #### and it is a poor reflection on the company.

Yeah that's awful. Sometimes HRs hands are tied and it's down to the director and manager of the department you're applying into, and either they are bat#### crazy or there are some shenanigans going on. You probably dodged a bullet.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #319
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have similar experience as well.

HR always sends those canned email, some "Although your work experience is impressive, we decided to go with another candidate" type of BS.

And, a gear grinder - why does it seem that HR and managers are always on vacation for weeks on end and make you wait for weeks? If they are looking to genuinely hire someone, can't they get their ducks in a row on their end and get the whole thing done within a week or two?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #320
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That's just incompetence. A complete waste of everyone's time and resources. Unless they're lying to your face. But that's a waste of resources. If I as a manager pulled that, I'd be fired. Best you don't work there anyway.
I've been in situations with my employer where things changed so quickly that we went from hiring to layoffs in a timeframe like this. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that they were intending to hire but are no longer doing so.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post: