Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #1
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Networking help!

I am so in over my head. I'm hoping to find some guidance here, but I'd also be interested in referrals where I can pay someone to help me fix this.

I have Shaw internet but use my own Asus router in my house with the Shaw modem in bridge mode. I've been trying to set myself up to use the private tracker Torrent Day but am having no luck.

I am *very* ignorant on networking. I'm trying to learn as I go, but it seems I'm at a 101 level, and even the troubleshooting guides I come across are way over my head. If anything in this post sounds like I know what I'm talking about don't believe it - I don't.

As I've been digging, it seems I may have myself in some sort of double-NAT situation. As mentioned, my modem is in bridge mode so I thought that would be it, but I dunno...

I also run Plex and have my server set up to share with others. If you're familiar with Plex, they offer Remote Access with a Plex Pass (which I have), and while it works for me (I can watch shows on my Plex while at hotels or wherever outside my network), it doesn't seem like it should. The Remote Access settings page has a warning saying 'Not available outside your network' and tells me there may be a double NAT issue. Which is weird, because it works.

I logged on to the Hitron page for my Shaw modem, and it does indeed look like the wifi is off (I'm assuming that means bridged), but when I go to the port forwarding section of the settings, I see Plex listed multiple times. This must be from when I set up Plex years ago before I got my Asus router and I'm not sure how this affects my Plex server or if it's whats causing my double NAT warnings.

I feel like this may also be why I can't get *anywhere* in setting up Torrent Day with a proper client and my VPN (Nord VPN).

I'm so lost and rambling here - I feel like it would be best if I just started over. Reset my modem, reset my router, updated all firmware, and tried again. Maybe that's the answer?

Is anyone here knowledgable on this kind of stuff and willing to help guide me through it like I'm a child? I'd be willing to pay for your time if you can help me get this going. Ideally I'd like to figure out why Plex is giving me a warning, fix it and optimize it to work as it should; then also get myself seeding properly with Torrent Day while using my VPN.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm hopeful someone here is bored and willing to help a brother out...

Relevant info:
2019 iMac, OS 10.14.6
Shaw Hitron modem, model CGNM-2250
Asus router, model RT-AC87U
Plex version 1.18.8.2527 w/ lifetime subscription to Plex Pass
qBittorrent version 4.2.5 (64-bit)

I think that's it. Any suggestions??
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:25 PM   #2
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To confirm that you are not in a double-NAT situation, login to your AC87U and see what IP address it obtained (WAN IP). If it starts with 192.168.X.X, then the AC87U is in a double-NAT situation and bridging is not setup on the Shaw modem.

If you have a different looking IP address, then it should mean the AC87U has a public IP address and bypasses the routing and firewall functionality of the Shaw modem. You can set all of your port-forwarding options on the AC87U, the settings on the Shaw modem will have no effect.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
To confirm that you are not in a double-NAT situation, login to your AC87U and see what IP address it obtained (WAN IP). If it starts with 192.168.X.X, then the AC87U is in a double-NAT situation and bridging is not setup on the Shaw modem.

If you have a different looking IP address, then it should mean the AC87U has a public IP address and bypasses the routing and firewall functionality of the Shaw modem. You can set all of your port-forwarding options on the AC87U, the settings on the Shaw modem will have no effect.
Despite asking Shaw to put me in bridge mode at two separate times over the past few years, it looks like they only turned my wifi off and didn't put me in bridge mode. I just got off the online chat and now my modem is actually bridged. I refreshed the Plex settings page and the warning message is gone (haven't tested it out of network yet, but that's not a priority at the moment). I've gone back to trying to seed some torrents but still am getting no love...
Old 06-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can I assume that you setup uTorrent as specified in the guide posted on TorrentDay?
sleepingmoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Can I assume that you setup uTorrent as specified in the guide posted on TorrentDay?
I originally was using uTorrent and then realized I didn't have an approved version. I tried downloading the older versions but they wouldn't work on my Mac. I tried a few other of the approved clients and eventually landed on qBittorrent. I do have DHT and PEX off, but otherwise there's no specific tutorial for that client.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tixati is a great client, if you are still looking. No spyware, no crap.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote