Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 03:17 PM   #61
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the phrasing of the question is soliciting negative answers.

Trapped does a lot of work here. If you are trapped with someone I think in the implications of this question you are trapped by the man or trapped by the bear. A bear can trap you without intent by just being a bear. A man who traps you has nefarious intent.

If you rephrased the question would you rather be lost in the forest with a man or a bear I think it would trigger a less negative response.

If I asked “are you in a dangerous situation if you are trapped in a car?” I think answer is yes. The word trapped means the situation is dangerous.
I interpreted trapped slightly differently but I see where you’re coming from. I see the word trapped to mean the person who is being asked the question is trapped in the woods not necessarily that the bear/man trapped them there. But I can see it seems like a loaded question.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 03:20 PM   #62
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

“If you were lost in the woods would you rather encounter a man or a bear?”

Probably garners a different set of answers.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:31 PM   #63
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

As I write this I am sitting in my MIL'S kitchen in Poland, having a basic conversation with her in English for the first time ever and she learned 99% of it from tiktok.
My word, have some empathy. She's just learning the language. You shouldn't get bored half way through the conversation to post on CP
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:38 PM   #64
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Lost means you are in need of help though so that might bias in favour of men.

So maybe it’s just if you are hiking in the woods …..
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:52 PM   #65
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

I don't think so. By probability there's only one correct answer if one's intent is to avoid the most damage physically or emotionally. The answers are just coming from people who are not 'actually' in that scenario so they have the luxury to give a hyperbolic answer to be provocative to prove a point that has nothing to do with the level of danger presented by bears in the wild.

That said woman face unacceptable risks from men in ways that most 'good' men cannot perceive or imagine because they simply walk through life rarely encountering it and because they don't encounter it themselves, they have a tendency to dismiss women who talk about it. Likely because the people they know that act creepy towards women only do it covertly.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 04-29-2024 at 04:01 PM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 04:03 PM   #66
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have these people never seen some of the victims of bear attacks? Like some of these people lose half their face because they got pawed, and require crazy surgery. I'm sorry, if I have to survive in the woods with one of the other, I'll take my chances with the human.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:14 PM   #67
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion, Tik Tok, as a social media platform and in that role, when talking about its negative impact to its consumers is no different from any of the other social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter). Facebook literally promoted content that promoted violence in Rohingya leading to the coup in Myanmar and has also been brought in for questioning to answer for their mining and stealing of personal data of Americans. The driver and key difference though behind this Tik Tok ban is because the US government does not have control over what is seen on it, what ends up trending on it and thereby, what Americans end up seeing more on it.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:52 PM   #68
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The word trapped had me confused as well, how can you be trapped in the woods unless you stepped in a bear trap - then you need a man to help get you out of said trap.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:26 PM   #69
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Have these people never seen some of the victims of bear attacks? Like some of these people lose half their face because they got pawed, and require crazy surgery. I'm sorry, if I have to survive in the woods with one of the other, I'll take my chances with the human.
I lost a relative to a bear attack several years ago. I have reason to be terrified of them. But on balance, I would still choose the bear, it's not even a split second decision.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 08:29 PM   #70
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I lost a relative to a bear attack several years ago. I have reason to be terrified of them. But on balance, I would still choose the bear, it's not even a split second decision.
Why though? All bears are wild animals that would kill you eventually.

You think all men are dangerous? This is such a ridiculous question and no women would actually choose the bear in a real life situation. 0. Zilch.

Anyone who chooses a bear online would change their tune in real life.

Maybe some Chinese company can make a game show about this and see if any woman would go through with the bear answer.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:22 PM   #71
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'm still hung up on picturing a guy going for a run, being close to a woman and then announcing what his plans are to not come off as all those creepy guys.

I know women live in a different world when they're alone, but from all my years of running towards or behind/passing women in fish creek/glenmore etc it's always been smiles, head nods and "heys". Not "oh **** another guy coming up" looks.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 06:56 AM   #72
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Spoiler!

Edit: damn that image is huge. thanks reddit.

Last edited by driveway; 04-30-2024 at 07:01 AM.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:00 AM   #73
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm still hung up on picturing a guy going for a run, being close to a woman and then announcing what his plans are to not come off as all those creepy guys.

I know women live in a different world when they're alone, but from all my years of running towards or behind/passing women in fish creek/glenmore etc it's always been smiles, head nods and "heys". Not "oh **** another guy coming up" looks.
The nod and smile is to disarm you whereas the “not another guy look” might trigger you. Just get out of her zone already.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:19 AM   #74
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Bears—which by and large, only attack people as a defense response when they feel threatened—have carried out 180 attacks against humans since 1784, according to BearVault.com. But when it comes to men attacking women, the National Crime Victimization Survey found that in 2006, 232,960 women were raped or sexually assaulted in the United States. That’s more than 600 per day.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-ma...ktok-meltdowns

I've come across bears in the woods while hiking, albeit not while alone, and they generally avoid us. So yeah, I'll take my chances with the bear.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 07:22 AM   #75
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I can't stand tiktok, don't have/never will have it and blame it for a lot of the disinformation out there. Are the Chinese spying on us? Probably. But it is extremely useful for learning English. Tons and tons of useful snippets for English learners. My wife and her friends follow a lot of accounts and she credits them for helping her improve their English skills.

As I write this I am sitting in my MIL'S kitchen in Poland, having a basic conversation with her in English for the first time ever and she learned 99% of it from tiktok.

Much of it is social media nonsense, but I can credit it for anyone who wants to improve learning another language. Might be the only silver lining on that app.
Nonsense!! We all know that when spying the Chinese prefer the stealth and subtlety of gigantic balloons!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:24 AM   #76
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Spoiler!

Edit: damn that image is huge. thanks reddit.
Kind of classic CP to see a question that is directed to women where women are also the primary people answering and having a handful of guys say “their answers make no sense, the question is stupid.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 12:52 PM   #77
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

I've come across bears in the woods while hiking, albeit not while alone, and they generally avoid us. So yeah, I'll take my chances with the bear.
That’s the answer to the question of are men or bears more dangerous to women.

Thats not the question being asked. You need to have a metric for incidents per encounter. So in the US there are probably 2 billion encounters between men and women a day. That is probably an underestimate of how many people come across each other each day.. So you have 600 rapes / 2 billion encounters vs 40 or so bear attacks in Canada per year / x encounters.

I fully acknowledge that I have the privilege to look at it statistically and that the statistical look is not the point.

You could also look at it as incidents per population of human or bear and then humans murder at a rate of 1/20000 or so compared to bears and like 2/1000000. In that case bears are less dangerous for both men and women

Last edited by GGG; 04-30-2024 at 12:55 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:12 PM   #78
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The bear. I'd befriend the bear and name him Ben. Then we would travel the forest as stewards.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:07 PM   #79
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

Shark attacks are even rarer so would you wanna be trapped in a swimming pool with a shark or a man?
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:30 PM   #80
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Halfsharkalligatorhalfman of course.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote