Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 05-25-2019, 07:54 PM   #81
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd better believe the Oilers would sign him as soon as he's available. The desperation in Edmonton for defensemen is palpable, and there is no shame to be found anywhere in that armpit.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #82
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah, I can see him going to Edmonton.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #83
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Assuming he doesn't face immigration issues, every Canadian team except for Calgary and Winnipeg would love to have him.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #84
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Any team would have the same rights. The contract termination involved a “voluntary retirement” which keeps the players rights with the team. The Kings have no interest in Voynov, and neither do any of the teams rumored via social media. I doubt Voynov ever plays in the NHL again. No team is that desperate for defense.
I don't agree with this. Every team is desperate to build a contender, and defense are especially hard to come by. He's a solid defenseman that will likely come cheap and there will definitely be a number of teams in on him, with one coming out on top, imo.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:28 AM   #85
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Houston Astros had a zero tolerance policy on domestic abuse, right up until they had a chance to acquire Roberto Osuna. Then "zero tolerance" was contorted to mean "zero tolerance after the first offence" because they wanted to win. People shouldn't think most NHL teams are above doing the same.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #86
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Which is garbage. They terminated his contract, why should they still retain his rights? Oh wait, it is the Kings and they can do what they want.
If you redacted the team name I'd still assume we're talking about the Rangers or the Kings here, yes... but in this case, I do like that this exists.

I don't like players like ^Osuna, MacTavish, Kareem Hunt, or Voynov given another chance at being a childhood hero and multi-millionaire. It makes it worse when you remember that your average person will suffer more in their careers for similar crimes. Very rarely are people in your corner rooting for your employment opportunities after the violence and death we see excused for athletes.

So if there's some kind of compensation a team with lesser ethics has to give up in repayment for swooping in on your loss... I hope it's enough for Voynov to be forced to take his criminal record into the real working world.

Now, he'll be fine in Russia, so it's moot in his case anyway... but the sentiment remains.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #87
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
If you redacted the team name I'd still assume we're talking about the Rangers or the Kings here, yes... but in this case, I do like that this exists.

I don't like players like ^Osuna, MacTavish, Kareem Hunt, or Voynov given another chance at being a childhood hero and multi-millionaire. It makes it worse when you remember that your average person will suffer more in their careers for similar crimes. Very rarely are people in your corner rooting for your employment opportunities after the violence and death we see excused for athletes.

So if there's some kind of compensation a team with lesser ethics has to give up in repayment for swooping in on your loss... I hope it's enough for Voynov to be forced to take his criminal record into the real working world.

Now, he'll be fine in Russia, so it's moot in his case anyway... but the sentiment remains.
Would they? How many jobs do criminal background checks? None in my industry that I know of.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #88
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Would they? How many jobs do criminal background checks? None in my industry that I know of.
Oh, absolutely.

I worked in a call center with a guy who could only get a job there to keep a roof over his family's heads. I don't remember his exact career, but his life shattered after a DUI. I watched this guy ultimately loose the house and his wife... and he got the DUI rushing his kid to the doctors in the morning. Too much the night before, got a speeding ticket and the cop could still smell it. Don't think that he was that far over either, but enough.

Especially these days, where most jobs are hired through some job board manager or another. Unless you can get face-to-face with whoever is hiring, most applications ask if you're bondable or if you have a criminal record. To date, I don't think I've ever seen a "but, tell us about it anyway" box and I'll bet that's a disqualifier more often than not if they're seeing a few candidates they like already.

I've seen a few lives made incredibly difficult for criminal records after working in a few call centers, restaurants and even now as a freelancer. I honestly think a criminal record is a gigantic problem in your average persons' life. Nevermind the likely privilege they received in their sentencing in the first place.

Last edited by Split98; 05-27-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #89
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
In my line of work you will normally lose your ability to work at all based on any criminal conviction.

Plus, almost every job application I've ever seen asks if you've been convicted of a criminal offence. Some say "for which you have not received a pardon".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #90
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

FWIW Voynov had his conviction dismissed after his 3 years probation. His criminal record has been expunged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I'd be curious to know what clauses of the CBA the arbitrator used to justify that 41 game credit.
Don't think there were any specific clauses. Voynov's side probably showed that he was ready to play halfway through the 18/19 season but was waiting for the NHL's suspension. Therefore arguably half a season was already served.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #91
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Lol, of course
Old 05-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #92
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess all that we can do is harass what ever team is pathetic enough to sign him to the point that it is clear that the fans, the league and the sport has no room for people like him.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #93
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

GMs are in the business of wins. If a GM believes Voynov will generate more wins for his team, basically he's obligated to try and acquire him. It's up to his owner or president at that point to decide if they don't want to be associated with a garbage person on their team.

Fact is, there was lots of trash that played in the NHL (Gilmour, MacT, Avery, Cooke). I'm not saying all their sins are equal, but trash is trash.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #94
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

MOD edit: A bit much.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #95
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voynov signed with Omsk Avangard in case anyone is interested.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #96
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Are you insinuating that the ladies of Omsk had best be on their AvanGuard?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #97
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Bob Hartley's team.