Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc... > Olympics
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #81
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Mark McMorris with an opening score of 89 in his first qualifying jump in Big Air
What channel is the big air on?
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #82
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
As a country, Canada is miles ahead in terms of depth but just about any team that makes it to the Worlds or Olympics can win any game which is really good for the sport.
for the men maybe but the for the women it's much more even then Canadians think.

Canadian women have now won 2 out of 6 Olympics. Sweden have won 2 and GB 1 and either could win this one too.

and Canada went nearly a decade without winning a World Championship (Jones in 2008 and Homan in 2017)

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #83
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't get some of the hate for Homan. Sure she is a determined, un-yielding competitor, but that it what I want in my Canadian athletes. Some of you might be too young to remember when Canada couldn't win anything at the Olympics. For years, the ongoing joke was that 4th place was considered "Canadian gold". Canada won 5 medals in Calgary and none of them gold.

It was at this time that people started to get fed up with the "awww shucks, we're just happy to be here" attitude of the Canadian athletes. Slowly it started to change to the point where our athletes now expect to win and are upset when they don't. Rachel Homan is the complete embodiment of this new attitude.

Personally, I love it. She had a terrible week but as far as I'm concerned, she can represent Canada anytime.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vanisleflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #84
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
What channel is the big air on?
Not on TV for this heat, here's the streaming link though

https://olympics.cbc.ca/video/todays...ir-qualifiers/
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Cuz
Old 02-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #85
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hungarian figure skater skating to AC/DC.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #86
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found Homan and her rink unwatchable. Made a lot of dumb decisions and poor shots. Also wasn’t enamoured with their attitudes throughout. I’m not a big curling fan but they felt like the worst team Canada has put forward in a long time. I hope we don’t see them again.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #87
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post
I don't get some of the hate for Homan. Sure she is a determined, un-yielding competitor, but that it what I want in my Canadian athletes. Some of you might be too young to remember when Canada couldn't win anything at the Olympics. For years, the ongoing joke was that 4th place was considered "Canadian gold". Canada won 5 medals in Calgary and none of them gold.

It was at this time that people started to get fed up with the "awww shucks, we're just happy to be here" attitude of the Canadian athletes. Slowly it started to change to the point where our athletes now expect to win and are upset when they don't. Rachel Homan is the complete embodiment of this new attitude.

Personally, I love it. She had a terrible week but as far as I'm concerned, she can represent Canada anytime.
Curling is a sport of honour, not one where you do anything to win at any cost. Like golf, it is a sport where you call penalties on yourself (e.g. burning a stone) and an attitude like Homan's is not viewed favourably.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #88
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
for the men maybe but the for the women it's much more even then Canadians think.

Canadian women have now won 2 out of 6 Olympics. Sweden have won 2 and GB 1 and either and could win this one too.

and Canada went nearly a decade without winning a World Championship (Jones in 2008 and Homan in 2017)
I think we are saying the same thing.

Canada is certainly deeper than any other country - the same teams usually represent the other countries year after year. However, these teams have honed their skills playing on various tours and are more than capable of beating team Canada.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #89
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post

I totally agree, I don't hate her, just extremely disappointed at the result, she could do way better than this. I love her attitude, that FTW attitude is way better than the happy to be here and I did my personal best.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #90
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Hungarian figure skater skating to AC/DC.
That is the sound of traditional figure skating fans collectively spitting out their tea.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #91
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
I think we are saying the same thing.

Canada is certainly deeper than any other country - the same teams usually represent the other countries year after year. However, these teams have honed their skills playing on various tours and are more than capable of beating team Canada.
Switzerland would be a close 2nd. They have 3 different World Champions who were all beaten by Tirinzoni in the Swiss trials. She also crapped the bed and this tournament.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #92
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I found Homan and her rink unwatchable. Made a lot of dumb decisions and poor shots. Also wasn’t enamoured with their attitudes throughout. I’m not a big curling fan but they felt like the worst team Canada has put forward in a long time. I hope we don’t see them again.
I find perspectives like this quite amusing. We are posting on an NHL team forum assumably because we all cheer for the Flames. The Flames make dumb decisions and make poor shots while making millions of dollars. Half the time, the pros can’t even muster the motivation to play a hard game for 60 minutes even though they make thousands for their 15 minutes of eye time. The curlers are all amateurs and are trying their best. I think the anger and hatred is so misplaced.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
V
Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #93
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I find perspectives like this quite amusing. We are posting on an NHL team forum assumably because we all cheer for the Flames. The Flames make dumb decisions and make poor shots while making millions of dollars. Half the time, the pros can’t even muster the motivation to play a hard game for 60 minutes even though they make thousands for their 15 minutes of eye time. The curlers are all amateurs and are trying their best. I think the anger and hatred is so misplaced.
That's what makes the Olympics the Olympics.

Think Curling Canada has a lot to answer for. Why didn't the Kinsbery keep his role as the on ice coach for Homan? Who the heck is Sonnenberg to trot out there giving Homan advice? You could tell they didn't think much of her. How bout the 5th Bernard giving advice. Just a failure from beginning to end.

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-20-2018 at 08:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #94
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curlers aren’t amateurs - they generally aren’t extremely well paid but any Canadian team that makes it to the Olympics usually has made some money through cash spiels and on the tour.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #95
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Tyler Nicholson with a score of 87.25 after his first run, currently in 7th.

Sebastien Toutant with a 91, McMorris with an 89.

Only the top 6 advance to the Final
Old 02-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #96
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

THis big air comp judging is leaving me scratching my head. Do the judges get slow motion review?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #97
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I'm waiting for ski cross carnage.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #98
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Curlers aren’t amateurs - they generally aren’t extremely well paid but any Canadian team that makes it to the Olympics usually has made some money through cash spiels and on the tour.
You and I could grab a couple others and make a four person team and play in a bonspiel. If we make money, are we no longer amateurs?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #99
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I'm waiting for ski cross carnage.
Kevin Drury with the 3rd fastest time in seeding so far!
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #100
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
Curling is a sport of honour, not one where you do anything to win at any cost. Like golf, it is a sport where you call penalties on yourself (e.g. burning a stone) and an attitude like Homan's is not viewed favourably.
Lol. The curling rules are pretty clear on burned rocks. Burning a rock is cheating. If a team does it, the non-offending team can chose to remove it. Those are the rules. Homan had 2 rocks burned against her during these games; one she removed and one she didn't. That is her choice. Those are the rules. Following the rules is not 'dishonourable'.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vanisleflamesfan For This Useful Post: