Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to trade down?
Yes, more picks is better 25 7.46%
No, take the best player available at 15 176 52.54%
Maybe, depends on who is on the board. 134 40.00%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said no, unless it was a huge overpayment. I wouldn't want to see it happen for another 2nd round pick, but if a young roster player was involved or maybe even a 1st rounder next year (unlikely), then it might be worth considering.

It's a deep draft, but like any draft, there are still tiers. It's also important to remember that it's a deep draft for every team in the league, not just us. A lot of our peers and adversaries will also be drafting some excellent prospects and we need to keep up with quality. We already have a couple of extra picks in the top 60 for quantity, so I think it's worth focusing on quality in the 1st round.

A smaller concern, but still in the back of my mind is that eventually the prospects drafted this season will all need important development time around the same time. If you load up too much in one given draft, you run the risk having prospects getting lost in the shuffle, or even worse, refusing to sign. Making a point of drafting by position negates that, but I prefer BPA generally speaking. Don't get me wrong, competition is good, but development time and opportunities are finite resources and need to be managed as such. It always sucks when prospects need to be traded at a discount because a team has no room, only to see them flourish elsewhere.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #22
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not this year, there's plenty of ammo in the chamber as Treliving would like to say and the Flames still need BPA in this third draft of the re-build.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #23
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we get to 15 and the player we want is gone, could see is slotting down a few spots to pick up another pick in the 40s. If we got another pick in the 40s, we would be better positioned to trade up to get another first provided a player we like would still be available in the late first round. I'm sure treliving is feeling the market out for all possibilities.

Looks like only 4 possibilities if we stretch the parameters to the low 50s

Winnipeg (would they trade a second for 2 spot gain?)
Ottawa
Minnesota
Buffalo (from nyi)

Suppose anything is possible if a team really likes the player available at 15 more than we do but would not drop any lower.

Last edited by The Original FFIV; 06-07-2015 at 11:58 AM.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #24
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 2011, Button had convinced Feaster to keep Kucherov and Gaudreau as 'wildcards' heading into the draft. Craig Button even had Kucherov as high as 18th in his draft standings. Kucherov had the size and Russian factor working against him, so it's possible that no matter how many 2nd round picks the Flames had they may not have taken him that high, but in retrospect how amazing would that draft had been if they traded down from 13th to pick up another 2nd to draft Kucherov.

There's also many examples of trading down coming back to bite teams in the ass.

So it depends for me, if 15th comes along and a player they were really high on is still there they might as well take him. If there's a couple options they stil like and they have a couple later pick 'wildcards,' sure trade down. It's always going to come down to how good and the scouting and development staff are.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #25
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not this year. The "rebuilding" side of this Flames team wants to acquire the best player possible out of this draft. Odds are that player will be drafted at #15 but I think it is more likely that we see a trade up using our extra picks in the 2nd/3rd than to try to acquire more of those picks.

I am very please with how quickly we have reloaded the prospect cupboards but we now need to focus on some high caliber prospects to go along with our depth. Ideally we focus on that blue chip D prospect that we are currently lacking.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #26
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dear GOD no! have you seen the Jankowski thread lately ?

Draft BPA ,lots of additional picks later for player who may be "projects"
FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #27
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatLandFlamesFan View Post

Good point!
Old 06-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #28
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But it would be funny to see everyone flip out if the Flames did it again.

I'm sort of rooting for the Flames to trade down and take Boeser because it would be Janko all over again.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #29
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This is not the 2012 draft all over again. There are set tiers and trading down within the tier is not akin to trading down and going off the board.

Suppose the flames are high on svechnikov and he gets taken at 14. They are kind of meh on the rest of the players left within the tier and have them ranked all around the same. If it goes down like that, no harm in moving down a few slots to get a player within that tier and grab a free asset, which could be handy in trying to get another late first rounder.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #30
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
This is not the 2012 draft all over again. There are set tiers and trading down within the tier is not akin to trading down and going off the board.

Suppose the flames are high on svechnikov and he gets taken at 14. They are kind of meh on the rest of the players left within the tier and have them ranked all around the same. If it goes down like that, no harm in moving down a few slots to get a player within that tier and grab a free asset, which could be handy in trying to get another late first rounder.
Take Kylington and run. Flames stay at 15, I'd bet on it. Because its a very safe bet to make. Burke said in his end of year presser they have zero interest in trading down. Only up.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #31
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Take Kylington and run. Flames stay at 15, I'd bet on it. Because its a very safe bet to make. Burke said in his end of year presser they have zero interest in trading down. Only up.
Thats not what he said here:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...-morning-show/

At the 17 minute mark, he says depending on the "ledges" they have to be ready to trade down. Specifically gave an example if they are at 15 and they have 5 guys they like available in a ledge, they would easily trade down to 18 to pick up another second round pick.

He said ideally he would like to move up or just pick though.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #32
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Would be very cautious in taking anything a hockey exec says at face value. Everything is subject to change depending on the circumstances and could be a ploy to drive up value of the pick.

That being said very likely we hold at 15 and agree unlikely we trade down unless the flames are high on someone at the bottom of the tier and they are certain will be there a few spots later.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #33
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Thats not what he said here:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...-morning-show/

At the 17 minute mark, he says depending on the "ledges" they have to be ready to trade down. Specifically gave an example if they are at 15 and they have 5 guys they like available in a ledge, they would easily trade down to 18 to pick up another second round pick.

He said ideally he would like to move up or just pick though.
Well f it wasn't Burkie, someone said it in an interview. I'm certain of it.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #34
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
But it would be funny to see everyone flip out if the Flames did it again.

I'm sort of rooting for the Flames to trade down and take Boeser because it would be Janko all over again.
I think Boeser deserves to be in the conversation, not that I'd pick him though.

As for it being funny to see everyone flip out, that means that in starting this thread, you are just trolling.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #35
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I think Boeser deserves to be in the conversation, not that I'd pick him though.

As for it being funny to see everyone flip out, that means that in starting this thread, you are just trolling.
No, not trolling, just curious to see what people think. This is a conversation that usually comes up prior to the draft anyway, the only difference is this one has a poll.

I do think it would be funny if the Flames repeated the whole Jankowski scenario, but that doesn't mean that the question itself doesn't have merit, especially with there being about 12 good players that should be around at 15.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 06-07-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #36
badger89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We already have lots of future players in the pipeline and lots of extra picks. Time to start dealing quantity for quality. Trade up if you can, not down. PHX and CAR are two teams with shallow prospect pools who might trade down for the right deal.
badger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #37
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If you can honestly say you would be happy with 5 or more of the prospects projected to be at 15, then how can you say you wouldn't consider trading down?

Obviously depends on who is available (i.e. if anyone slips out of the top 10) and what the return would be.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #38
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC Conroy was saying he expects someone from their top 11? to drop down to our spot. Will be interesting to see and if it doesn't happen and we trade down, I'd prefer picking up a defence prospect in some deal rather than acquiring another second.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #39
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be upset if the Flames traded down, you can never have enough picks. That said, the Flames do already have a lot of picks and I would prefer if they just used them. I also wouldn't mind seeing a trade for defence at the draft but think it would be better to wait until after free agency and use the 2016 2nd rounder as trade bait.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #40
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If you can honestly say you would be happy with 5 or more of the prospects projected to be at 15, then how can you say you wouldn't consider trading down?

Obviously depends on who is available (i.e. if anyone slips out of the top 10) and what the return would be.
If there are 5 equally talented players available at the 15th pick then the Flames should take advantage of the opportunity to select the player that best fits organizational need (second order of operations). It is better to be in the drivers seat to make that decision than to give control of our choice to the other GMs.