Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #1381
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is proof of vaccination not required to travel? For Vietnam alone, there are almost a dozen diseases and viruses to worry about.

Either get vaccinated before you leave, or stay home.

My guess is they already knew they were sick and wanted to get back to Canada so they wouldn't have to pay for medical expenses in in Vietnam To get their coverage here, those parents should have to go on a public speaking tour and espouse how ignorant they were and got duped by fringe science.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #1382
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

A lot of countries require proof of yellow fever vaccination to travel into. It wouldn't be too hard to demand proof of the rest although I would guess that a lot of us would have a hard time finding all of their vaccination records.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 05:09 PM   #1383
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
A lot of countries require proof of yellow fever vaccination to travel into. It wouldn't be too hard to demand proof of the rest although I would guess that a lot of us would have a hard time finding all of their vaccination records.

Probably not so hard these days, I think AHS should have that on record - at least anybody born during the period when people thought the MMR inoculations were linked to autism should be.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #1384
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Probably not so hard these days, I think AHS should have that on record - at least anybody born during the period when people thought the MMR inoculations were linked to autism should be.
It's not just those people though. I got some measles vaccinations, but not an MMR (and what I had isn't considered sufficient anymore). I grew up back when measles was on its way out, so now that it's returned, I needed to get my MMR as an adult to be considered fully protected.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #1385
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad to see Roald Dahl's powerful letter making rounds again. Also sad that it has to.

Quote:
Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it.

Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn’t do anything.

'Are you feeling all right?' I asked her. 'I feel all sleepy,' she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.

On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunised against measles. I was unable to do that for Olivia in 1962 because in those days a reliable measles vaccine had not been discovered. Today a good and safe vaccine is available to every family and all you have to do is to ask your doctor to administer it.

It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness. Believe me, it is. In my opinion parents who now refuse to have their children immunised are putting the lives of those children at risk. In America, where measles immunisation is compulsory, measles like smallpox, has been virtually wiped out.

Here in Britain, because so many parents refuse, either out of obstinacy or ignorance or fear, to allow their children to be immunised, we still have a hundred thousand cases of measles every year. Out of those, more than 10,000 will suffer side effects of one kind or another. At least 10,000 will develop ear or chest infections. About 20 will die.

Every year around 20 children will die in Britain from measles. So what about the risks that your children will run from being immunised?

They are almost non-existent. Listen to this. In a district of around 300,000 people, there will be only one child every 250 years who will develop serious side effects from measles immunisation! That is about a million to one chance. I should think there would be more chance of your child choking to death on a chocolate bar than of becoming seriously ill from a measles immunisation.

So what on earth are you worrying about? It really is almost a crime to allow your child to go unimmunised. The ideal time to have it done is at 13 months, but it is never too late. All school-children who have not yet had a measles immunisation should beg their parents to arrange for them to have one as soon as possible.

Incidentally, I dedicated two of my books to Olivia, the first was James and the Giant Peach. That was when she was still alive. The second was The BFG, dedicated to her memory after she had died from measles. You will see her name at the beginning of each of these books. And I know how happy she would be if only she could know that her death had helped to save a good deal of illness and death among other children.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #1386
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
I read yesterday that the idea is being floated that if not enough people get vaccinated, then we are going to force them to,” Townsend wrote on Thursday morning. “The idea that we force someone to give up their liberty for the sake of the collective is not based on American values but rather, Communist.
Quote:
At what point are we saying, ‘We’re okay with this because we don’t want to get measles at some point?' ” she asked. “In order to live in a free society, we have to accept risks.
Quote:
My child is at risk from being injured from a vaccine, and your child is potentially at risk if my son catches something,” she told The Post. “Whose child is more important? Where’s the line?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.7b6949b00f8c
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #1387
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A Large Study Provides More Evidence That MMR Vaccines Don't Cause Autism

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...6CcDV5drjByVWA
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #1388
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
A Large Study Provides More Evidence That MMR Vaccines Don't Cause Autism

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...6CcDV5drjByVWA
I wish we would stop wasting dollars studying this. It is not likely to move the needle much. Anti-Vaxxers will just move the goalposts.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #1389
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't bring peanut butter to school because kids with peanut allergies might go into anaphylactic shock and die if physically exposed to it. But don't you dare make me vaccinate my kids just because you don't want your kids exposed to dangerous yet preventable, airborne communicable diseases.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #1390
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Controversial N.S. chiropractor surrenders licence, admits to ‘professional incompetence’

https://globalnews.ca/news/5021188/n...z__lO1zdVBOyrA

Quote:
A Halifax-based chiropractor who posted controversial online statements questioning vaccination and immunization has surrendered her professional licence and admitted to being “professionally incompetent.”

The college specifically says that vaccines are outside the scope of chiropractic practice and that they recognize “that vaccination and immunization are established public health practices in the prevention of infectious diseases.”
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #1391
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahaha chiros push Palmer school idiocy and then feed morons to the machine when the light gets shined on them.

Gotta adjust them viruses out of your spinal fluid dontchaknow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #1392
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Controversial N.S. chiropractor surrenders licence, admits to ‘professional incompetence’

So he admitted to being... a chiropractor ?!
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #1393
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inconvenient truth time...

Vaccines Prevent Autism
Quote:
Concerns about a potential link between the MMR vaccine and autism have persisted for two decades, since a controversial and ultimately retracted 1998 paper claimed there was a direct connection. Even though subsequent studies haven’t tied inoculation to autism, fear about the risk has weighed on parents so much in several communities across Europe and the U.S. that vaccination rates have been too low to prevent a spate of measles outbreaks.
In the current study, researchers examined data on 657,461 children. During this time, 6,517 kids were diagnosed with autism.

Kids who got the MMR vaccine were seven percent less likely to develop autism than children who didn’t get vaccinated, researchers report in the Annals of Internal Medicine.[...]

And, children who had no childhood vaccinations were 17 percent more likely to be diagnosed with autism than kids who did get recommended vaccinations[...]
Huh. I wonder if any anti-vaxers will listen...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #1394
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, source:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1QL2B7
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 06:15 AM   #1395
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I wish facts could reach these people, but sadly I think it will take more serious outbreaks for it to turn around.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #1396
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Facts? What do facts have to do with medical science? Don't let big pharma scare you with facts.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #1397
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bill these dumb mother####ers the full amount. Then charge them with stupidity in the first degree, jail them for a decade and then deport them into the sun.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/unvacc...800k-1.4327675

Unvaccinated six-year-old boy gets tetanus; treatment costs US$800K

Six days later, the boy cried as his jaw clenched, his limbs experienced involuntarily spasms and his neck and back started arching. Later that day, the child began to have difficulty breathing and his parents called emergency services, according to the health agency.

The boy was airlifted to a medical centre where he was subsequently diagnosed with tetanus.

“Upon hospital arrival, the child had jaw muscle spasms,” the report stated. “He was alert and requested water but was unable to open his mouth.”

The health agency said people who contract tetanus aren’t immune to it in the future.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #1398
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

These dumb dumb's are morphing their message now. Claims that measles will prevent cancer if you get it and that you can treat measles, a virus, with anti-biotics. There is no end to the depth of their ignorance. Worst of all is when they get into politics and positions of power.

Quote:
The success of the stated plan may hinge on whether the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention can keep up with the ever-shifting conspiracy theories and bunkum related to vaccines. The noxious yet established falsehood that vaccines or vaccine components can cause autism, for instance, has been widely debunked. But others are burgeoning and may be hard to head off. For instance, there's the myth that vaccines are cash cows for Big Pharma (they make relatively little revenue), which is secretly behind pro-vaccine messages (they’re not; public health experts are).

More recently, a theme that has been volleyed by anti-vaccine advocates is that getting measles is somehow good for you and could prevent cancer. Both are completely wrong. Measles is a serious illness that can cause severe disabilities in children, including deafness and intellectual disabilities. It is also deadly. An ongoing measles outbreak in Madagascar, for instance, has killed nearly 1,000 children. Being dead isn’t good for you.

The idea circulating that measles can prevent cancer may stem from a misunderstanding of studies that used bioengineered versions of the virus to deliver cancer therapies. But these are not the viruses that circulate during outbreaks. There is no credible evidence to suggest that previous measles infections will protect a person from cancers.

Last, in an even more idiotic turn, a Texas lawmaker argued that he was not worried about measles because, in the US, we have “antibiotics and that kind of stuff.” Antibiotics only treat bacterial infections. Measles is caused by a virus. Moreover, there is no specific antiviral treatment for measles.
At least there are those hoping to prevent it and Facebook appears to be cracking down on them now

Quote:
Facing scrutiny for allowing anti-vaccine lies and conspiracy theories to fester and spread on its pages, Facebook announced Thursday a set of steps it will take to rid its platform of misinformation—which has seemingly become even weirder and more idiotic recently.

The move follows a letter sent to Facebook from Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) last month, raising concerns that anti-vaccine information spread on the site could corrupt anxious parents’ views of safe, life-saving immunizations. Schiff also questioned the popular social media site about accepting payments from anti-vaccine advertisements.
Facebook wasn’t the only media giant questioned; Schiff sent a similar letter to Google, too, raising concerns about content on YouTube specifically. Still, Facebook has taken center stage on the issue.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...ces-crackdown/

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-08-2019 at 11:55 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #1399
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Bill these dumb mother####ers the full amount. Then charge them with stupidity in the first degree, jail them for a decade and then deport them into the sun.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/unvacc...800k-1.4327675

Unvaccinated six-year-old boy gets tetanus; treatment costs US$800K

Six days later, the boy cried as his jaw clenched, his limbs experienced involuntarily spasms and his neck and back started arching. Later that day, the child began to have difficulty breathing and his parents called emergency services, according to the health agency.

The boy was airlifted to a medical centre where he was subsequently diagnosed with tetanus.

“Upon hospital arrival, the child had jaw muscle spasms,” the report stated. “He was alert and requested water but was unable to open his mouth.”

The health agency said people who contract tetanus aren’t immune to it in the future.

The worst part is this:

"Even though doctors reviewed the risks and benefits of tetanus vaccination with the boy’s family, they still refused to give him a second dose of DTaP and other recommended immunizations, the report said."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #1400
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I fully support chiros, as able to treat conditions like back pain and tension. However, the root science behind chiropractic medicine states you can treat virtually all diseases, including viruses, by adjusting the nervous system. This is a situation where the government needs to step in and take action against anyone pushing the boundaries of what chiropractic medicine should be used to treat.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote