Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2018, 12:05 AM   #161
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not the result I wanted, or most people wanted, but the Germans should be damn proud of themselves!! Wow, what a tournament from tbem

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:07 AM   #162
josef
First Line Centre

Exp:

oh well, almost...

anyway, nobody would have thought that something like this would happen, hopefully this will get some youth movement starting

great job boys!!!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to josef For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 12:09 AM   #163
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Meh. They were the favorites and rightfully so, and won. But like the 'Unified Team' it loses a bit of its panache. Germany will be the team people remember, as they made it harder than anybody thought it would be. Hopefully it leads to a bit of a boost in popularity there.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #164
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny, teams from Russia have won the Olympic hockey gold 9 times, but the nation of Russia has never won it. They were still the USSR the first 7 times they won it. In 1992, they were The Unified Team. This time, they're OAR.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #165
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Sucks seeing Voynov win anything.
If your country can’t beat the doping tests, I guess at least you can beat your wife.

Russia is a crap hole country full of crappy people and crappy stuff. I hope these hacking allegations by Russian spies lead to the confiscation of every one of their medals. That entire country and culture is based on cheating and theft and I have zero sympathy for any of their athletes, even the clean ones.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:15 AM   #166
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The IOC is marginally less corrupt than Russia. Maybe not.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:17 AM   #167
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was a huge win. Some horrible goaltending though, but we will take it.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 12:19 AM   #168
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
oh well, almost...

anyway, nobody would have thought that something like this would happen, hopefully this will get some youth movement starting

great job boys!!!
Yeah, Germany did great, Marco Sturm seems to do a great job, somehow he always was one of my favorite players.

On a sidenote, Russian coach is actually German citizen and he doesn't have Russian citizenship, although Russian is his first language.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:25 AM   #169
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
If your country can’t beat the doping tests, I guess at least you can beat your wife.

Russia is a crap hole country full of crappy people and crappy stuff. I hope these hacking allegations by Russian spies lead to the confiscation of every one of their medals. That entire country and culture is based on cheating and theft and I have zero sympathy for any of their athletes, even the clean ones.
No, we are not. Russians are surely less friendly/helpful people than Americans and probably than Canadians, although I have only been in Canada for a week. Russians are still a fairly smart and hardworking nation, and the country is still about top-30 in the world. And I made no secret that I am currently trying to immigrate to Canada.

Last edited by Pointman; 02-25-2018 at 12:27 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 12:27 AM   #170
josef
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Yeah, Germany did great, Marco Sturm seems to do a great job, somehow he always was one of my favorite players.

On a sidenote, Russian coach is actually German citizen and he doesn't have Russian citizenship, although Russian is his first language.
i know he played in germany for a long time, even in a city just half an our away from my home
Old 02-25-2018, 12:52 AM   #171
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's the only way Russia was going to get Gold in hockey at the Olympics. With at least two or three teams worth of Canadians watching from home after finishing their NHL games.

Whoopty do.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 AM   #172
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Well that's the only way Russia was going to get Gold in hockey at the Olympics. With at least two or three teams worth of Canadians watching from home after finishing their NHL games.

Whoopty do.
They might have the best player and the two best goalies right now, could very well have won gold this year with NHLers.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:01 AM   #173
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Norway won the Women's Cross Country, bringing their gold medal haul to 14, which ties Germany for the most in PyeongChang (and Canada from Vancouver for the most in any single Winter Olympics).

The final medal count has Norway in first, Germany in second, and Canada in third (in both total medals and number of golds).
Old 02-25-2018, 01:02 AM   #174
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
No, we are not. Russians are surely less friendly/helpful people than Americans and probably than Canadians, although I have only been in Canada for a week. Russians are still a fairly smart and hardworking nation, and the country is still about top-30 in the world. And I made no secret that I am currently trying to immigrate to Canada.
I carry half Russian blood.

My grandparents on one side are from Poland. The other side are Russian, and that doesn’t make me happy.

When you see the level of complacency with the utter corruption, top to bottom. And the almost unanimous adulation the country has for the worlds most corrupt murderous gangster in Putin, I cannot have sympathy for anyone there.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:05 AM   #175
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know where I can see the medal awarding ceremony? They cut away from it almost instantly when the game ended because the overtime cut into their ski event... Really wanted to see it.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 AM   #176
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I carry half Russian blood.

My grandparents on one side are from Poland. The other side are Russian, and that doesn’t make me happy.

When you see the level of complacency with the utter corruption, top to bottom. And the almost unanimous adulation the country has for the worlds most corrupt murderous gangster in Putin, I cannot have sympathy for anyone there.
I also have half Russian blood (the other half is jewish). Corruption is only high near the top, for ordinary people corruption is largely reduced and nowhere near as bad, as it used to be in the USSR where you had to bribe for everything. Russians don't quite adule Putin, except in the official propaganda reports. That being said, Putin, for all his flaws, used to be a pretty competent state leader, although he is surely declining with age. He did murder his political opponents, no doubt about it, and propaganda machine is running at full cylinders, but for massess it is more about whether he can or can not lead the country, and the consensus is that he is actually good at that.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:15 AM   #177
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone know where I can see the medal awarding ceremony? They cut away from it almost instantly when the game ended because the overtime cut into their ski event... Really wanted to see it.
Go to https://olympics.cbc.ca/ and scroll down. The full event replay should be listed on there to view.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:17 AM   #178
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I am sure you can find it on one of the .ru propaganda sites, they'll be playing it for months. They will also doctor it up with the Russian anthem and digitally paint over the uniforms in Russian colours.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 02-25-2018 at 01:20 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 AM   #179
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Go to https://olympics.cbc.ca/ and scroll down. The full event replay should be listed on there to view.
Thanks!
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:20 AM   #180
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
They might have the best player and the two best goalies right now, could very well have won gold this year with NHLers.
I highly doubt it.

25 of the top 50 scoring forwards in the best league in the world are Canadian. (7 are Russian)
14 of the top 30 scoring defensemen in the best league in the world are Canadian. (2 are Russian)

And even in a down year, Carey Price has proven to be a brick wall in international competition, and there are many others having very strong years to choose from.

Not to mention, Russia has done nothing in best on best international competition for the last 15 years to show they are capable of even medaling, never mind getting Gold.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 02-25-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: