Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #41
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think this is a small glimpse into what is to come.

In the near future, more and more people will be fleeing wars, oppression, poverty and rising oceans.

Record 137,000 migrants cross the Med to Europe in the first half of the year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ease-2014.html
World's going to be a pretty f***ed up place in 50-100 years time. Eventually it might not be an issue of allowing people in, they'll force their way in because there will be millions and millions and we won't be able to stop it.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I guess I want a little more solid footage knowledge wise as far as this goes

I want to know what the government has budgeted for this

I want to know the transportation plan for this

I want to know what the screening plan is on this both background and medical

I want to know what the short and long term housing plan is for this and the costs around that.

This just seems like the Liberals are coming in and doing this unplanned rush to look like hero's .

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #43
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I guess I want a little more solid footage knowledge wise as far as this goes

I want to know what the government has budgeted for this

I want to know the transportation plan for this

I want to know what the screening plan is on this both background and medical

I want to know what the short and long term housing plan is for this and the costs around that.

This just seems like the Liberals are coming in and doing this unplanned rush to look like hero's .
The Liberals are fulfilling a promise made in a leadership debate. Your closing shot was unnecessary.

But your questions are legitimate and I'm sure we'll learn more about the process in coming days. Under this government I expect we'll be let in on the plan.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #44
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm glad Canada is taking these people in -it's the right thing to do. I just wish the majority of the resources the world spends on relocating all these people could be used to help make where their from a safer place to live.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #45
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I dont think CC took an unnecessary 'shot'. Perhaps he was hoping that before they made the promise they would have a plan to implement it. I dont think thats too much to hope for.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #46
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
So we can somehow afford to take in 25,000 refugees, but we can't take care of the tens of thousands of Canadians that need help? Why do these folks take priority over those already here who need help?

And the issues Europe is now facing are not minor.
Quote:
Dumping people onto welfare doesn't do anything. By just providing handouts, you just breed generational poverty.

Before we increase the costs by at least $13mm a month, we should be breaking the poverty cycle at home. There is also nothing that says we won't wind up with the problems that Europe is now facing as a result of the vastly different mindset that the arriving refugees and economic migrants have.
Quote:
Where does the money come from though? This is going to add a minimum of $13 million a month in spending, more when the government realizes that you can't house a family of 4 for $700/month and they have to increase the rent allowance. And that's just the government cost, non-profits are going to feel the hit, our already stretched food banks are going to feel the hit.

Realistically, how many of these people will actually be getting jobs? Especially with all the people who are looking right now, people who actually speak the language and have recognized qualifications or a willing to take anything since they got laid off.

At some point, you're hurting your own citizens at the expense of refugees and economic migrants.

I am just gonna take a guess and say you have never been to a war zone.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #47
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just spitballing, but would there be interest in a group of us here on CP sponsoring a family?
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #48
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Just spitballing, but would there be interest in a group of us here on CP sponsoring a family?
I would be totally in on this.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackJack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #49
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I like that Canada is taking on this issue but Alberta seems like a poor choice to send these people to considering a large chunk of the province is out of work?

They should send refugees to provinces that need the population boost. The territories and the maritimes.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #50
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I like that Canada is taking on this issue but Alberta seems like a poor choice to send these people to considering a large chunk of the province is out of work?

They should send refugees to provinces that need the population boost. The territories and the maritimes.
You can't "send" them anywhere. You need to process them, get them acclimatized to Canada Weather and Ways.

I think the decision on where to temporarily house these people should be made on facilities. For example, Kapyong Barracks in Winnipeg is literally sitting empty.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #51
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by steve9981; 08-21-2017 at 01:07 PM.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
In all seriousness, I wonder what is worse, living in war stricken Syria or moving to Alberta during winter. Seriously, can you imagine what will happen to some of these refugees when they experience a blizzard in -30, will they even be able to comprehend it?
I reckon that only worrying about getting hit with snow when you go out will be a good problem for them.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #53
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
You can't "send" them anywhere. You need to process them, get them acclimatized to Canada Weather and Ways.

I think the decision on where to temporarily house these people should be made on facilities. For example, Kapyong Barracks in Winnipeg is literally sitting empty.
Ethnic Enclaves are a terrible idea. That is the problem in England and France.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #54
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
In all seriousness, I wonder what is worse, living in war stricken Syria or moving to Alberta during winter. Seriously, can you imagine what will happen to some of these refugees when they experience a blizzard in -30, will they even be able to comprehend it?
Surely you must be joking.

I know a family that sponsored a Vietnamese family in the late 70's and they reflect on that as being an amazing experience. The family they sponsored was (and still is) incredibly grateful. I think that people fleeing a war zone just want to get out and live a normal life. While of course no one wants to allow terrorists making their way into the country easily, I have to think that would be an extremely small percentage.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #55
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Ethnic Enclaves are a terrible idea. That is the problem in England and France.

Yeah I don't think you read this completely.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #56
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I don't think you read this completely.
The quicker they are integrated into Canadian society the better. It does depend on resources and processing times though.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #57
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
I would be totally in on this.
My wife and I are part of a Sponsorship Group of 5 (we actually have six couples involved) and are currently finishing up the paperwork to bring a family of 7 over from a refugee camp in Lebanon.

Definitely try to make it happen, but do know that it is more than just the financial contribution, there is going to be a lot of work in that first year helping integrate the family into our culture and Canadian society.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #58
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to be the guy to bring this up, or ask this question, but when Europe (as well as most domestic media outlets) have stopped referring to the Syrians as refugees long ago, why are we suddenly changing the language from 'migrant' once it is decided that we are bringing 25K into Canada?

It is highly unlikely that we will be seeing the idyllic small family arriving here, as we saw with the Vietnamese and Iraqis. Up to 75% of the people entering Europe are men in their 20s, either fleeing conscription or seeking economic migration. Most of the small families that we are imagining are back home in Syria.

We are also looking at Canada as a whole, when we know that although we could use immigration to places like Winnipeg and St. John, most of the Syrians are going to go to Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver as quickly as they can. Our most expensive cities. The same way poorer countries in Europe were skipped in favour of the wealthy.

None of the flow of refugees are headed to Africa or other countries in the Middle East, which would seem to indicate that immediate safety isn't the primary concern of the people leaving. We are delving into a situation that we do not understand, simply because we want to do the traditional 'Canadian' thing.

The reason that the homeless and disenfranchised already in Canada has been brought up on multiple occasions is because for decades no one could find the political will to help them. When it took less than half a year to find that will to help people engaged in a very complicated migration situation, on another continent.

What would happen if Canada said that it would only take families? Or accepted mass migration only into communities that need the increased population? These things would help Canada, and would help the refugees. Do the cries of 'curtailing freedom' apply to people that arn't yet citizens? How many refugees would decline to come if they couldn't go to Toronto? What would be the outcry if we didn't take single males?

Are the refugees desperate enough to accept reasonable terms to their arrival, or would they balk? Would Canadians rage against curtailing anyone's freedom of movement?

I realize that this post is probably going to get hit hard, but I think that these are the kinds of discussions that we should be having as opposed to talking about snow.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #59
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Back 1999, Canada took on about 5000 Kosovar refugees. Most stayed in military barracks until they returned home. My GF's family sponsored a couple and the child in their home at the time.

With the Syrians it is a little different though because I doubt that most of them are going home any time soon if ever. This is a bonafide resettlement. It won't be easy, but it is the right thing to do.

Back in the 1960, 70s and 80s, Canada settled many people from around the world escaping war and dictatorships. It wasn't easy then either and there was some ghettoization and dissent among some of the communities, but this is a better country for it in the long run.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #60
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
The quicker they are integrated into Canadian society the better. It does depend on resources and processing times though.

Agreed, which is why I said temporarily.

These individuals are going to need more than just a roof/meal. Many will not have had medical care for who knows how long. Many will carry mental problems from living in a war zone and all it entailed to get to Canada.

A place like Kapyong has, barracks (with rooms big enough to house a family), mess hall for food, area for kids to run around and be kids.

I don't believe we can or should be "releasing" these individuals into Canadian society until they are ready. This will be different times for different people.

Quote: