Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #221
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
They still haven’t lost 87.5% of first round matchups. Even with their dismal recent record.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haha.

They've made the playoffs 14 times since the cup in '89, and have been past round 1 twice.

It really has nothing to do with this years team either, but this years team doesn't leave me very confident that they will win a playoff round either.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #222
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha.

They've made the playoffs 14 times since the cup in '89, and have been past round 1 twice.

It really has nothing to do with this years team either, but this years team doesn't leave me very confident that they will win a playoff round either.
And getting Lafreniere doesn't assure that of changing anything.

It's why cheering for your team to lose games, to get a draft pick you are 87.5% unlikely to actually receive, makes absolutely zero sense.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #223
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha.

This years team, and everyone else’s team is absolutely unknown after everything that’s went down. Other than a few top teams and a few bottom teams I give everyone the same chance at this tournament. Who gets their #### together the fastest. It’s going to be a hell of a fun playoffs to watch.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #224
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
And getting Lafreniere doesn't assure that of changing anything.

It's why cheering for your team to lose games, to get a draft pick you are 87.5% unlikely to actually receive, makes absolutely zero sense.
Why is this directed towards me? I never said I was cheering for losses.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #225
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

My mistake...i will go to the corner of shame and humiliation now.

But for those of you......
Old 06-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #226
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You would? Not enough for you?

How about the teams that have hundreds of millions of dollars on the line.

Draft conspiracy comments drive me insane. So dumb.
OK pal, since I'm "so dumb" please explain what's the point of Bettman's video drawing numbered balls if we don't get to see what team the balls correspond to? Why is the lookup list not released before the draw?

One doesn't need to be a conspiracy nut to see a way of rigging the draft...it's in plain site.

Last years List was released after the draw as well.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #227
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
OK pal, since I'm "so dumb" please explain what's the point of Bettman's video drawing numbered balls if we don't get to see what team the balls correspond to? Why is the lookup list not released before the draw?

One doesn't need to be a conspiracy nut to see a way of rigging the draft...it's in plain site.

Last years List was released after the draw as well.

Agreed. I'm shocked that the NHL doesn't make a huge show out of this like the World Cup Draw (obviously not this year). They could have celebrities and legends draw balls. Have the GMs there and whenever the first balls comes out, in this case it was a 9, have a big board that regenerates the odds and interview the GMs to see what they think. NHL marketing needs to get on this.

Once the numbers were 9-10-2, there could be a suspenseful delay and the big board shows OTT (x4), DET (x2), ANA (x1), NJ (x1), BUF (x1), Team A (x1), Team E (x1), and the corresponding numbers.

Last edited by GirlySports; 06-28-2020 at 10:23 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #228
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Have to think they'll move some.

There has to be a line where you bring too many players into your system and hurt asset value by not having the level of development or opportunity to move them all forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Pretty sure Dorrian already said they would be using some of their picks to trade for NHL ready players.
Well then, this seems like a logical landing spot for Bennett if the Flames decide to move him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #229
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think there is a good possibility the Jets also tank. There is no playoff revenue available for the teams. Participate, show up and you get a share in all the playoff revenue. In this particular year with no home playoff dates, the tank is fully organizationally justified. I think it will be a talkathon, with both teams trying to lose.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #230
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I think there is a good possibility the Jets also tank. There is no playoff revenue available for the teams. Participate, show up and you get a share in all the playoff revenue. In this particular year with no home playoff dates, the tank is fully organizationally justified. I think it will be a talkathon, with both teams trying to lose.
The Jets will not tank. No team is going to tank.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #231
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha.

You know who else gave their fan base little confidence going into the playoffs and were predicted to be done in rnd 1? The 2004 Flames team. It's the playoffs, anything can happen.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #232
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You know who else gave their fan base little confidence going into the playoffs and were predicted to be done in rnd 1? The 2004 Flames team. It's the playoffs, anything can happen.
For the record....

After the trade deadline in '04 the Flames went on a 8W - 4L - 1T streak. ~106 point pace. I remember feeling quite optimistic going into the playoffs.

Agreed though, anything can happen.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #233
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

That team had one of the best goalies in the world and the best power forward in the game. When you have 2 of the best players in the world, especially a world class goalie, you always have a shot.

This team doesn't have a forward who can single handedly take over a game and carry the team on his back. They don't have an amazing goalie either
Old 06-29-2020, 10:43 AM   #234
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
For the record....

After the trade deadline in '04 the Flames went on a 8W - 4L - 1T streak. ~106 point pace. I remember feeling quite optimistic going into the playoffs.

Agreed though, anything can happen.
Flames played at a 101pt pace after Peters was removed from the bench.

With a 4+ month layoff and no fans going right into tournament play it will be very tough to predict what will happen.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #235
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Jets are already stacked on the wing. Laine, Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #236
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if the Flames beat Winnipeg, but decisively lose to Vegas in round 1, do you think the Flames have to make big moves?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #237
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
So if the Flames beat Winnipeg, but decisively lose to Vegas in round 1, do you think the Flames have to make big moves?
Yup
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #238
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Regardless of the playoff outcome the roster is going to likely look different as it's very possible both of Brodie and Hamonic are gone and Gaudreau as well. How far they go in the playoffs probably has more to do with the coaching decision. If they win a few rounds maybe they take a long look at Ward. If they exit early I would imagine a new coach may be incoming.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #239
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Jets will not tank. No team is going to tank.
I agree. I don't think any team will be tanking. I don't think the intensity, and that play through anything to win attitude will be there though with most of the players. All the worries from Covid coupled with the long break, will mean players will be rusty, and some probably just won't have their hearts fully in it. Which is understandable, players are just human after all.

I think this year, more than any other year, the team with that goalie that starts off hot at the beginning of the season, will be the team that wins the cup. It could be some no name back up who plays out of their minds for 20 games, that wins the cup.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #240
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like gatekeeping fandom, but if you're cheering for losses, you may need to get your head checked out.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: