Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #7421
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Please, keep posting these anti-science takes everyone. It really helps to populate my ignore list in a more efficient way if I can see them all in one spot.
Well, looks like even Biden walked back what he said about phasing oil now.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #7422
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Well, looks like even Biden walked back what he said about phasing oil now.
He knew that it was misunderstood the moment that he said it. He doesn't think that oil is going to be gone from the states in 30 years, but he has been told that there will be a permanent decline starting by that time. When that happens, there better be a replacement in place or there will be a big economic problem.

Tying it to climate is just a way to consolidate his younger base. He needs to tread carefully to not alienate them with the realistic timeline.

edit : I'm also talking about domestic use. I think that oil use in India, Africa and China is just going to buoy the industry. As long as there is access to tidewater.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #7423
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

On another note, I checked the numbers in my county.

1 019 884 eligible voters in Palm Beach County.

354 404 ballots cast so far for about 35%

80% have been mail-in ballots that have been returned by mail or dropped off. 20% has been early voting that only started this week.

I spoke to a few of my neighbors who said that casting a ballot this week felt so good.

It's going to be a substantial turnout in Florida, especially in heavy blue areas, and that doesn't bode well for Trump. Based on the polling I have seen so far, my guess is a narrow victory for Biden (1-2%).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #7424
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Please, keep posting these anti-science takes everyone. It really helps to populate my ignore list in a more efficient way if I can see them all in one spot.
How is someone saying oil isn't going away like some people want it to anti science? What's happening is you're equating that statement as "climate change doesn't exist or oil is fine and doesn't exacerbate this issue" in your head and that's a you problem, not a them problem. Because no one is saying anything anti science there.

Last edited by nik-; 10-23-2020 at 09:28 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #7425
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one knows what future oil demand will be. Shell and BP are taking a stab in the dark in the middle of the pandemic. Overall the industry knows we're at the sunset phase, whether that phase is another 10 or 20 years is anyone's guess. We also don't know what demand will fall to, if it's only a decline of 15-20% of demand, that's still 80-85 MBPD, which is where demand was 10 years ago.

Biden isn't dumb to say he will begin the transition and phase things out, seems like its basically a foregone conclusion at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #7426
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Misunderstood or not politically that was Biden staring at a land mine and gleefully jumping on it. That was the worst possible answer he could have given and it will unquestionably hurt him in some of the red states he was hoping to flip. Overall a good debate from Biden but that emphatic YES when asked if he would shut down the oil industry was a gaffe. Had done a fantastic job of avoiding trumps questions until then and playing it cool. Can’t win em all.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #7427
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I loved that Biden declared he made a mistake in hindsight by voting for that bill back in the 80's. Honest politicians should be able to recognize when they made the incorrect vote. And if a politician can't change their views, should they even be governing for a career? Doubling down is a sign of weakness.

Biden did fantastic yesterday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #7428
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm really disappointed that Trump did so well. He was waaaaay less unhinged than he often is. Lots of people in this thread seem to think Biden dominated. He met my expectations for this whereas Trump exceeded expectations. Trump's demeanor and tone will draw back some people he was shedding. His words and plans were either hollow or lies, but the only people that care about that were never going to vote for him anyway.

Biden won on content. Trump is the net winner, though.

Fata.
Upon further reflection, I really think I nailed it last night with my review, but I see it was misunderstood.

I laughed out loud when I was accused of being a closet Trump supporter after this post. I haven't had a good night's sleep in four years because of this prick. I'm aghast and horrified at everything he ####s out of that anus mouth of his.

My review was based on what I perceive to be what makes Trump attractive to the deplorables/undecideds. The content of what Biden had to say was obviously way more substantive and appealing than anything Trump barfed out. Unfortunately, I find Biden's delivery to be unpersuasive. Like I agree with what he says, but it doesn't get me fired up like if Obama were to make the same points with better delivery. Biden says stuff and the most he can get out of me is mmhmmm.

I like when Trump seems unhinged, frothing at the mouth, sweating and getting angry. I like that because it puts a spotlight on the absurdity of a lunatic being the president. You can point at him and think, this! this is your fataing hero!

Last night he just said his usual pile of crap relatively calmly (for him). I didn't like that because the Trump supporters I know don't care about truth. They're not going to fact check his claims like Biden took $3.5 million from China. They'll just believe it even though rational people are thinking, wtf, who believes this BS? If he was flapping around interrupting Biden and being his usual tit self, it doesn't play well with the "nice" people in the red states that vote R basically no matter what, but could be persuaded either to vote D or just not vote at all based on how unhinged Trump had the potential to become. The content of what he says clearly doesn't matter to them since non-deplorables have seen through the lies since 2015.

I think to the types that could be attracted to Trump's demeanor, he showed well last night to them (not me).

Biden seemed a lot older than Trump last night, too. He is an old man. Obviously we all had that concern in the primaries and he has done a good job throughout, but I'd be so much more comfortable with his polling lead if he had more charisma.

I still have my money on Biden, but last night made me a tad nervous. The fact that you guys think Biden killed it is encouraging, but it's not how I saw it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #7429
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
No one knows what future oil demand will be. Shell and BP are taking a stab in the dark in the middle of the pandemic. Overall the industry knows we're at the sunset phase, whether that phase is another 10 or 20 years is anyone's guess. We also don't know what demand will fall to, if it's only a decline of 15-20% of demand, that's still 80-85 MBPD, which is where demand was 10 years ago.
We have a pretty good idea the direction demand is going to go. If you can't read the tea leaves being left behind by policy makers around the globe, the producers of the product themselves, then the industries that rely on fossil fuels for the sustainability of their products, then you aren't paying attention.

When California - the 5th largest economy on the planet - is taking radical steps to shift away from the use of fossil fuels, it is a bellwether moment. When the same body pushes for the elimination of ICE vehicles by 2035, that is a statement that needs to be acknowledged and then understood for its impact around the United States and the world. You have to understand the power California wields when it comes to emissions and green policy, and how that impacts the entire industry and market.

Car manufacturers get it as well. When they negotiate with, and agree to, California's emissions standards, it is another key factor to acknowledge. Manufacturers see the writing on the wall and they are doing everything they can to get ahead of the impending shift on the horizon. They have to respond to no only policy, but consumer demands. The luxury market is already there and the mid and economy markets are not far behind. Manufacturers are struggling to keep up with demand.

You also have to look at the producers themselves. Saudi Arabia did an IPO for Aramco to establish a massive fund to shift their economy away from O&G and look to other means of maintaining their economic condition in a post-oil world. If this is not enough of a wake up call I don't know what people are looking for.

Quote:
Biden isn't dumb to say he will begin the transition and phase things out, seems like its basically a foregone conclusion at this point.
Exactly. The adults at the table understand the challenges ahead and can speak to them with wetting their pants. It is okay to state the obvious. Some require more context, but it doesn't change a thing about this being an absolute necessity and something that is going to happen sooner rather than later.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #7430
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Biden was good but he had two weak moments, Oil and China.

We must let international law deal with China was a good laugh.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #7431
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
We have a pretty good idea the direction demand is going to go. If you can't read the tea leaves being left behind by policy makers around the globe, the producers of the product themselves, then the industries that rely on fossil fuels for the sustainability of their products, then you aren't paying attention.

When California - the 5th largest economy on the planet - is taking radical steps to shift away from the use of fossil fuels, it is a bellwether moment. When the same body pushes for the elimination of ICE vehicles by 2035, that is a statement that needs to be acknowledged and then understood for its impact around the United States and the world. You have to understand the power California wields when it comes to emissions and green policy, and how that impacts the entire industry and market.

Car manufacturers get it as well. When they negotiate with, and agree to, California's emissions standards, it is another key factor to acknowledge. Manufacturers see the writing on the wall and they are doing everything they can to get ahead of the impending shift on the horizon. They have to respond to no only policy, but consumer demands. The luxury market is already there and the mid and economy markets are not far behind. Manufacturers are struggling to keep up with demand.

You also have to look at the producers themselves. Saudi Arabia did an IPO for Aramco to establish a massive fund to shift their economy away from O&G and look to other means of maintaining their economic condition in a post-oil world. If this is not enough of a wake up call I don't know what people are looking for.

Exactly. The adults at the table understand the challenges ahead and can speak to them with wetting their pants. It is okay to state the obvious. Some require more context, but it doesn't change a thing about this being an absolute necessity and something that is going to happen sooner rather than later.
Prior to this year demand was seen as rising until 2030 in most probable scenarios. The final peak might be lower, but overall once the economic recovery takes hold demand will continue to climb.

EVs are a small fraction of the replacement take on new vehicles, and it will take 20-30 years to turnover the 1B vehicle fleet. You need places like California pushing hard because we're starting from so few EVs and hybrids. Tesla is planning on building 500k vehicles this year, out of an 80 million vehicle market.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #7432
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
So in addition to being a scientologist Kristie Alley is also a Trump supporter? She can joint Scott Baio in the castaway old used up sitcom actors for Trump club.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #7433
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

What I found hilarious is Trump kept bringing up "these politicians" as if he's the one that's moral and not corrupt.

He's so out of touch that it's insane.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #7434
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Also his constant belittling and repeating other's phrases in a mocking tone.

So insufferable.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #7435
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone remember when Joe Biden was considered to be the inappropriate rambling old fool? Boy how times have changed!
Old 10-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #7436
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s true, manufacturers can’t keep up with the demand for EVs. They also don’t make very many EVs, and the EVs they make are too limited to be anything but niche 2nd vehicles for people with money. My store sold ten Kona EVs this year, and now we have another 8. Which is great, until you realize we sell a hundred plus gas powered Konas a year for $15-20k less.

In order to own an EV, you need to own a house. Because you need to have a 240v dryer plug installed in your garage to charge your fancy EV. Or your building needs to have charging infrastructure. It’s not going to work plugging in to your block heater outlet, unless you have 24 hours to wait for your car to refuel.

This week in Calgary, anyone with an EV saw their operational range shrink by about half. That’s not ideal, and I’ve heard nothing from the industry to indicate they’re anywhere near solving this issue.

New Technologies have to perform a task better than the system they replace. It’s a constant throughout history.

“Green” energy doesn’t power 21st century civilization as well as fossil fuels, by a significant margin. There’s nothing anti-science about that, it’s reality.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 10-23-2020 at 10:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #7437
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The post-debate polls that weren't online/Twitter polls seem to have Biden winning the debate by a margin pretty much in line with the current national average. The most boring election in history marches on.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #7438
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The post-debate polls that weren't online/Twitter polls seem to have Biden winning the debate by a margin pretty much in line with the current national average. The most boring election in history marches on.

Is that a problem?

Also the only reason it can be called “boring” is due to fatigue from the lunacy of the incumbent. He can’t top the #### show that he has trotted out the last 4 years

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 10-23-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #7439
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Is that a problem?

Also the only reason it is noting is due to fatigue from the lunacy of the incumbent. He can’t top the #### show that he has trotted out the last 4 years
No.

I genuinely don’t understand who could have been unconvinced by kids in cages, very fine people, or 220k fresh corpses as a direct result of downplaying the threat of deadly virus, but convinced by one of these dog and pony shows.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #7440
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Is that a problem?

Also the only reason it is noting is due to fatigue from the lunacy of the incumbent. He can’t top the #### show that he has trotted out the last 4 years
Not at all. I'm just becoming even more bored by people contorting themselves and the race as much as they possibly can to try and make it seem like a legit horserace.
Closed Thread