Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #6361
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
This just proves that the Republicans are organized corruptionists. There is no Federalist Society equivalent in the Democratic side.
That's literally the first thing Ted Cruz tried to prove when he started speaking. I forget the groups he mentioned, but he said the dark money on the left was far more nefarious and rampant than on the right, and then he asserted that the Federalist Society had no role to play in the cases Whitehouse was talking about. His proof......still waiting on that one. Talking out his ass yet again.

This is why I was so pissed watching him speak.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #6362
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

While mic'ed up and with cameras rolling, Lindsay Graham just referred to the period of segregation prior to Brown v. Board of Education as, and I quote, "the good old days".

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/st...71707985190912
Old 10-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #6363
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the fact that after his presentation she misspoke and said, "Senator Whitehouse, I will approach every case with an open wine." I mean that's the blood of Christ to you lady, I'd be a little less ready to start pouring it out but do you, I guess.

On another note, how has Senator Whitehouse never run for President? President Whitehouse? Come on, that's a no-brainer.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #6364
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mentioned last week when Quinnipiac had Florida at Biden +11 that this looked really outlierish and that it's not their first heavy outlier for Biden in Florida. Today they had Biden +7 in Georgia, which is another massive outlier. Digging back a little further, I see they had Trump at +1 in SC at the end of September, also a big outlier in the same direction. I wonder if they've got a different turnout model than most of the other pollsters that's resulting in all of these outliers in the same region. Their polls elsewhere in the country seem pretty average, if slightly Democratic leaning.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #6365
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think the record number of people turning out and waiting for hours to early vote is a very good sign for Biden.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #6366
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think the record number of people turning out and waiting for hours to early vote is a very good sign for Biden.
Agreed. That number is now up to 14.9 million and rising by the hour. It’s not impossible to imagine 160 million votes cast by Election Day.

https://electproject.github.io/Early...20G/index.html
Old 10-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #6367
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I honestly will not be relieved until Trump is out of the office, post election.

Till then I won't believe anything positive is coming.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #6368
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Agreed. That number is now up to 14.9 million and rising by the hour. It’s not impossible to imagine 160 million votes cast by Election Day.

https://electproject.github.io/Early...20G/index.html
I'll be early voting in person when it's possible to do so next week. My wife already dropped off her mail-in ballot.

People cannot wait to get this election over with. The one good thing that Trump's tampering with the mail system and other governors trying to eliminate ballot drop-offs etc. is that it's driving the importance of early voting home. Nobody wants to be caught in a long line on election day and possibly not get a chance to cast a ballot.

It's motivated the hell out of the democratic base. Way to go Trump. We appreciate your unintentional help.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #6369
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

And those are the correct answers to those questions

In all previous Supreme Court hearings they are not allowed to comment on how cases that are likely required to be ruled on. This has always been the case.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #6370
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
The one good thing that Trump's tampering with the mail system and other governors trying to eliminate ballot drop-offs etc. is that it's driving the importance of early voting home. Nobody wants to be caught in a long line on election day and possibly not get a chance to cast a ballot. It's motivated the hell out of the democratic base. Way to go Trump. We appreciate your unintentional help.
Yeah, who knew all you had to do to convince Americans to vote was to make it into an extreme sport!

2016: For most Americans, voting's going to be super-easy!

Americans: lame.

2020: Okay, listen up: first you're going to have to deal with every advance polling station with 100 miles of you being shut down, you're going to have to figure out which ballot drop boxes are real and which are decoys, you're going to need to solve your local state's byzantine election laws, and if you make it to the end you might be confronted with hordes of gun-toting enemies trying to stop you from casting your ballot. And you'll do it all against the backdrop of a plague, the likes of which hasn't been seen in generations. You pretty much don't stand a chance of casting a ballot.

Americans: hell yeah, I'm in.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #6371
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Americans love a challenge and HATE being told they can't do something.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #6372
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lol, so do Canadians.

So do children.... haha.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #6373
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol, so do Canadians.

So do children.... haha.
Not in remotely the same way. It’s burned into the American psyche in the weirdest way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #6374
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
And those are the correct answers to those questions

In all previous Supreme Court hearings they are not allowed to comment on how cases that are likely required to be ruled on. This has always been the case.
Yes, but....

There are a few really obvious and “there is only one possible answer” to some of these types of questions.

Like can the President unilaterally delay an election? The answer is a clear “no,” and I would expect an alleged constitutional originalist to know that.

So either she doesn’t know the Constitution (doubtful), she’s not really an originalist (more likely, as these kind of people just make up stuff and use “originalism” as an excuse), or she’s incapable of taking a position when it matters—-which I’m sure everyone would agree is a great trait to have in a Supreme Court justice.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #6375
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The mayor of Chicago on being a Constitutional originalist...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1316139867693215744
Old 10-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #6376
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Yes, but....

There are a few really obvious and “there is only one possible answer” to some of these types of questions.

Like can the President unilaterally delay an election? The answer is a clear “no,” and I would expect an alleged constitutional originalist to know that.

So either she doesn’t know the Constitution (doubtful), she’s not really an originalist (more likely, as these kind of people just make up stuff and use “originalism” as an excuse), or she’s incapable of taking a position when it matters—-which I’m sure everyone would agree is a great trait to have in a Supreme Court justice.
Shes saying nothing cause she wants the job, what she does once shes in is her decision. Just like if Biden wins and the senate goes blue, it will be their decision what to do with the supreme court. Until then no point talking about it while there's an election.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #6377
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Yes, but....

So one might ask why a senator confirming her would ask such a question which such an obvious answer that he knows she cannot answer.

Yes There is only one correct response to it but the Supreme Court Justice should not be commenting on a speculative legal opinion as as dumb as a case involving a president delaying the election would be it is actually in the realm of possibility that she would have to rule on such a case before the end of the year.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #6378
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
This just proves that the Republicans are organized corruptionists. There is no Federalist Society equivalent in the Democratic side.
Here, here! To be honest, the Republicans have built an entire support structure to achieve their desired state. The extensive think tank community is something that the Democrats will never be able to reproduce, because they don't have it in them to all repeat the same lie to achieve power. Every intellectual property mill would produce inconsistent and incongruent messages which would just raise greater confusion in the communication channels. Republicans, OTOH, can and will follow a script and repeat a lie. The think tank establishment on the right is a circular referencing propaganda machine that is used to create policy, develop the required support mechanisms (fiscal, legislative, legal), and have it placed with placed with legislative bodies to make their Machiavellian wet dreams come to fruition. The Democrats? Not much at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #6379
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The mayor of Chicago on being a Constitutional originalist...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1316139867693215744
Does anyone know what she means? This is such an incredible statement and brilliant answer to the question, especially given the challenges we are facing with the election process. Sadly, this will fall on deaf ears as Americans will have little to no idea what she's talking about.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #6380
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Here, here! To be honest, the Republicans have built an entire support structure to achieve their desired state. The extensive think tank community is something that the Democrats will never be able to reproduce, because they don't have it in them to all repeat the same lie to achieve power. Every intellectual property mill would produce inconsistent and incongruent messages which would just raise greater confusion in the communication channels. Republicans, OTOH, can and will follow a script and repeat a lie. The think tank establishment on the right is a circular referencing propaganda machine that is used to create policy, develop the required support mechanisms (fiscal, legislative, legal), and have it placed with placed with legislative bodies to make their Machiavellian wet dreams come to fruition. The Democrats? Not much at all.

Yup it's truly a machine and they relay it down to the public. For example, Conservatives knew about Amy Coney Barrett for years well before these proceeding. They know the Conservative 'Bench' so to speak and who the possible next nominees could be if say somebody died tomorrow.

The Democrats don't talk about the Supreme Court, like it doesn't matter. If the Democrats were to win everything in November and decided to add 2 more SC Judges (which Biden won't), do people other than insiders even know who Liberal Judges are? Does anyone know about Goodwin Liu?

Closed Thread