Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #581
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
They just look kind of corny, like discount brand clothing, and yet are 3x the price.
Like they have to have a recognizable brand, or you don't want to wear them? Is that your view about CPs too? Or like, Wings + Horns sneakers? Or these?
Quote:
But I know a few of you are AE stans, so have at er.
Nah, not at all. I mean, they make good quality stuff, so I wouldn't rule them out, but it's very pick-and-choose. Maybe 10% is worthwhile. Whereas I'd wear like 90% of what Alden makes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
AE sucks. Why don't you buy Nike Killshots and just look nicer for half the price?
I'm pretty sure I just explained this. No nike swoosh, better materials, better construction, more comfortable, don't agree that it looks nicer. Not that Killshots or Stan Smiths are bad but if you're trying to tell me that they look better on the foot, I just think you're wrong.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:38 PM   #582
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Like they have to have a recognizable brand, or you don't want to wear them? Is that your view about CPs too? Or like, Wings + Horns sneakers? Or these?
Wings and Horns is shut down now. The company still has their more casual, Reigning Champ, brand.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #583
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The GMG thread inspired me to seek consultation here.

I'm an early 30s guy, but I've always looked older than I am (tall, dark, handsome, etc). This has actually worked to my advantage in the business world I think.

Now I look like I'm in my late 30s due to this condition, and a little bit of thinning at the top.

I want a new work wardrobe, so I'm looking for ideas. I work in a pretty relaxed office environment (dark jeans acceptable) but I still want to look good, and maybe more youthful if that makes sense. I bought a couple of chino pants, but I don't know what to pair them with and such. Ideally, if I could have about 10-12 work outfits I rotate, that would be fantastic. I have a few blazer jackets that are too fancy for our office environment, and I typically wear those to meetings with clients or conferences.

I guess I'm not looking to spend $1200 on shoes, but I'm also open to spending a little more than $120 on them to look good. Same for the rest of the wardrobe.

I would stay away from what most people call "Dress Shirts".
When I think of that I think of typical lightweight white/blue shirts with a very basic pattern. They will make you look old.

I don't know if they are doing it now with the pandemic, but i would recommend doing the personal shopping at Simons.
I find they have a pretty good range of clothes that you can mix and match, are still appropriate for work, and will not make you feel super old.

You don't have to go super high end to get good white collar job clothes, but stay away from the wall of "dress shirts" at the Bay.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #584
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
I would stay away from what most people call "Dress Shirts".
When I think of that I think of typical lightweight white/blue shirts with a very basic pattern. They will make you look old.

I don't know if they are doing it now with the pandemic, but i would recommend doing the personal shopping at Simons.
I find they have a pretty good range of clothes that you can mix and match, are still appropriate for work, and will not make you feel super old.

You don't have to go super high end to get good white collar job clothes, but stay away from the wall of "dress shirts" at the Bay.
I disagree about dress shirts. They can definitely be styled and matched ot look more casual.

Where people run into trouble is when they just match them with a pair of ill fitting dress pants/kakhis and clunky shoes. Then you look like an engineer from the late 90s (no offence to engineers).
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:55 PM   #585
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nothing will make you look more "old manish" than poorly fitted clothes made of synthetic fibers and $120 Aldo shoes.

For shirts stick with 100% cotton. For pants, go with either cotton or wool. No matter how well you think the pants fit off the rack, they probably don't. Go to a tailor and get them fitted properly.

The merino sweater and chino look is a nice, fairly inexpensive way to look youthful, but put together. You can do it with or without a shirt underneath.

Finally, there is absolutely no way you can look good without nice shoes. Sorry, it's not happening.

Last edited by _Q_; 05-26-2021 at 03:59 PM.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #586
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Okay I'm a bit of a shoe nut... over 60 pairs on hand now.

Here are a couple styles that I think are dressed up without being too formal.

Sorry for links to instagram... i'm not sure how to show just the image.

Moc-toe derbys like the AE Bradley... this is a pair i thrifted, stripped and re-coloured.

Desert Boots / Chukkas
These are suede Rancourts, but Clarks offer lots of styles for a reasonable price (but without a moc-toe).

Believe it or not, but wingtips are a more 'casual' style... especially long-wing gunboat derby's such as these vintage Florsheims.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #587
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you don't want to spend a ton on shoes, look at Meermin. They're decent quality for a great price. Just keep in mind, they're all UK sizes, so make sure to consult their sizing guide before ordering. Beware, though, their customer service is a bit "European" to put it kindly.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #588
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, for shirts, my man Kyle - at North American Quality Purveyors - should have you covered.

https://shopnorthamerican.com/collections/shirts
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #589
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys, lots of helpful stuff.

I'm feeling both excited to get better, and embarrassed of my current state.

I grew up very working class and I guess I've always leaned towards 'deals' and saving a buck rather than improving my style and look. That was just ingrained in my character. It's time to change gears.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #590
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

For what its worth, I have gotten way more compliments from women around the office about my cheap clothing than my expensive clothing. We are talking about Walmart specials and Winners sale rack stuff. What's important is that it looks trendy and it fits well. Fit is one of the biggest things.

It's all about having an eye for bargains that have style or like people on social media who thrift for fashion.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:15 PM   #591
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, for shirts, my man Kyle - at North American Quality Purveyors - should have you covered.

These are great when you want to look like you are wearing one of Bill Cosby's sweaters, without the bulk and heat of a wool sweater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #592
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
These are great when you want to look like you are wearing one of Bill Cosby's sweaters, without the bulk and heat of a wool sweater.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #593
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're right. They do kind of look like clown outfits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 10:19 PM   #594
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, to be fair, a lot of those shirts are good but some of them are pretty bad. This one is the worst...
Spoiler!

But what's up with this? What on Earth is Gitman Bros. doing?
Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 02:21 AM   #595
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

If you're into shoes or boots, you gotta check out the Rose Anvil youtube channel. Professional leather worker cuts shoes and boots in half to see exactly what they're made of.

He does various series, such as "Moc-Toe-ber" where he spent October cutting apart Moc-toe boots, or his series on minimalist white sneakers. At the end of that series, he declared the Crown Northampton as the best overall minimalist sneaker and I bought a pair.

I gotta tell ya, they're pricey but they're absolutely the most comfortable, best looking pair of sneakers I've ever owned.

driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:23 AM   #596
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A couple of points I would add if you want to mix it up a bit, nothing wrong with being slightly overdressed sometimes either. People will notice and compliment. I always noticed women in the workplace will really try and make an impression if they are closing a deal or it's something special like their birthday.

Nothing wrong with some nice fitting dress shirts and some nice cotton or wool pants. You can mix it up and roll up the sleeves a bit and add a vest for a different look.

I know some guys get scared of vest's but they do add a different element to their wardrobe, even with suits. It's a great way to take off a suit jacket or a blazer and still look dressy. It comes in handy in the summer time, around the office when you may not be meeting with clients, a wedding or event when the party start's to get going etc.

I find a lot of guy's over do the dark jean look for casual office work. There is nothing wrong with the look, it's just over done. I will always go back to my mother's advice/beef with my father/men compared to women. For a guy it's not any more real work to add pant's vs jeans and it's a different look for sure. For women getting really dressed up does involve a lot more work.

Mix it up with some colours too and don't be afraid to push it just a little.

I have always had a great experience at a shop downtown called Gio's Collection for Men. http://www.gioscollections.com/

Best of luck!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #597
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post

We can agree to disagree.

But I am sure we can agree that in a work setting this dude needs to stand closer to the iron.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #598
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

good grief that is some expensive stuff - $280 for long sleeve casual shirts.....

i feel like a guy can purchase similar short sleeve button up shirts from columbia, underarmour or at sportchek for $30 to $45.

But what do i know, 15 months of working from home wearing mostly t-shirts and pyjama pants may have really dulled my fashion sensibilities

Quote:

Old 05-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #599
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Always zhuzh up your sleeves if you have a shirt but no jacket. That's my gay man advice for the workplace. It helps you be approachable. Even if you are rocking a casual Untucked shirt (which I love)

I work in tech, so to balance my queerness with the expected casual street style, I look like the guy from last year's cancelled sitcom, Indebted
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #600
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

On top of all this, get a nice watch (doesn't have to be expensive).
When I see well dressed people with fitbits or apple watches on, it kills the look IMO; especially at formal events where you really don't need any smart watch features.

You spend all this time and money creating your individual style, then put on a watch that screams I'm one of the sheep.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post: