Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #441
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You have to be incredibly handsome to pull this off. Like Johnny Cash good looks.

Maybe that's you, but generally I find that in our casual society most people don't actually understand what "dressing well" looks like.

I've worn chinos and an oxford shirt under an army jacket and people asked me why I was so dressed up.
Let's just say when Slava and I promenade down main street, you can hear the older ladies crying out that Tony Curtis and Rock Hudson are back!

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #442
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
You have to be incredibly handsome to pull this off. Like Johnny Cash good looks.

Maybe that's you, but generally I find that in our casual society most people don't actually understand what "dressing well" looks like.

I've worn chinos and an oxford shirt under an army jacket and people asked me why I was so dressed up.
Slava is a handsome bastard. Me too.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #443
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goddam looks like I'm the ugly one over here with my black dress shirt draped over my hairy shoulders like a sack.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #444
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason this is my new favorite thread. Whatever happened to that hall of fame?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #445
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Word. I’ve had a decent pea coat called a ‘suit’ before. Honestly it’s tough these days for men...guys are wearing cropped, ripped up flood pants with white sneakers and beanie toques when out to dinner with a lady, and I get asked if I’m coming from a wedding when wearing a sport coat and dark jeans.

Everyone should rock their own style, and that’s rad. But #### those guys who talk trash when someone else is dressed classically well.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #446
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't just call your motorcycle club cut a sport coat.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #447
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The white sneaker look is kinda cool not gonna lie.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #448
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Check out the Coach outlet store in Crossiron Mills. But yeah, you're still probably going to have to spend a least $100 for a nice bag. You won't be buying a bag every year, though, so it'll be money well spent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Any suggestions for a laptop/messenger/commuter bag? I need something to carry my #### with me when I commute but even the cheapest canvas bags I looked at were around $100 and anything resembling leather was $150-300. That seems like a lot for a bag to carry my lunch and a few other things. I actually don’t have a work computer so the laptop part is optional.
In my opinion, there's: A) looks good B) is good quality C) cheap. Pick two, max. I don't necessarily agree that Coach will be a good place to get one. IMO it meets criteria A only. In my humble opinion, mainstream fashion houses that specialize in everything (shoes, clothes, leather goods, etc. etc) excel at none of those. So I personally would not get something from one of those places.

If you want something that is good enough quality that you can pass it on to your kids, then I would suggest perhaps something along the lines of a Filson briefcase or messenger bag. Durable, pretty enduring aesthetic, and quality. I have one of these.

If you want leather, a good place to start is anything top grain or full grain leather. No "genuine leather" garbage. There are grades to leather, and those two will typically be the most durable and quality (but also be pricier). This is the one I have when I need something a bit dressier.

Many probably don't want to spend all that much, but personally, I'd rather buy a bag once and never have to buy another one again, than buy a cheaper one and have to replace it a few years down the line.

Last edited by DionTheDman; 02-06-2020 at 11:12 PM.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #449
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Any suggestions for a laptop/messenger/commuter bag? I need something to carry my #### with me when I commute but even the cheapest canvas bags I looked at were around $100 and anything resembling leather was $150-300. That seems like a lot for a bag to carry my lunch and a few other things. I actually don’t have a work computer so the laptop part is optional.

Using a backpack provides lots of room but seems like a pain on the train every day and isn’t the most fashionable choice.

Any suggestions? Amazon has tons of stuff that’s less than $100 and looks great in the pictures but I’m weary of buying total junk. I just want something nicer than a gym bag or backpack but isn’t gonna cost me a lot.
Go to winners and see what turns up as an option. I’ve seen brands like Herschel and Kenneth Cole show up before.

Some of these things are crazy weird for pricing too. I have a Kenneth Cole leather messenger bag. Paid less than $60 on Amazon. It’s currently $135 on amazon. Check amazon if they do a sale on fashion.

I’d check the Bay, Saks on 5th and Nordstrom Rack for weird clearances too.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 PM   #450
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the Filson Dryden and I love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 10:58 PM   #451
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You can't just call your motorcycle club cut a sport coat.
When one has a reservation at the Club House but isnt sporting the appropriate attire do they have loaner Jackets? Like that Seinfeld episode at the Friar's Club?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #452
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Word. I’ve had a decent pea coat called a ‘suit’ before. Honestly it’s tough these days for men...guys are wearing cropped, ripped up flood pants with white sneakers and beanie toques when out to dinner with a lady, and I get asked if I’m coming from a wedding when wearing a sport coat and dark jeans.

Everyone should rock their own style, and that’s rad. But #### those guys who talk trash when someone else is dressed classically well.
Denim and a sport coat, has NEVER been “classically dressed well.”
Did ya match it with a loud, contrasting, untucked dress shirt, that only Brett Wilson could be proud of?

Quote:
I have the Filson Dryden and I love it.

That Pete. Of course you do. I got the Filson, Field Bag for work. This damn bag might outlast their flannel.

And informally, an INcase backpack.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 02:32 AM   #453
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a huge fan of timeless quality & modern culture.. with that said, a few other bags/ brand to check out.

Poler. Got an SLR bag of theirs. I’m pleased with it. While they don’t have a messenger/shoulder bag currently, they have a seasonal catalogue rotation of bags.

ONA Union Street. Similar to Filson, I suppose.

Porter Briefcase. Aesthetically on point. Helluva premium though.

And Mission Workshop. Much of their lineup is pretty bike-courier oriented, but the Camo Shed, and Laptop Brief are great bags.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #454
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Check out https://jbleathersupply.com/ a local Calgary guy who does top notch leather work.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #455
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah right....like I'm clicking on a link for BJ Leather Supply.

Not falling for that again.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #456
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Denim and a sport coat, has NEVER been “classically dressed well.”
Did ya match it with a loud, contrasting, untucked dress shirt, that only Brett Wilson could be proud of...
Oh I wasn't saying I was. I'm rarely in 'classic menswear', and I can't say I ever get flack for it (maybe the odd remark from some coworkers who are totally clueless). My buddy is always in a suit, and the amount of comments he receives for plebs is disgusting. He does live in a city that doesn't have the 'professional' base of Calgary though.

Also, wtf man. A nice pair of well fitting jeans, with the right top and a sport coat that isn't some wannabe suit jacket is a damn fine outfit.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #457
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't ever pair a sports coat with jeans unless it was an extremely soft-shouldered tweed or similar casual fabric. I have a couple of ultra-casual Engineered Garments Bedford Jackets that I wear with jeans on a Frifay. In fact, that's what I am doing right now this moment.

For example:

https://shoplostfound.com/collection...oz-wool-melton
Old 02-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #458
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh yeah right....like I'm clicking on a link for BJ Leather Supply.

Not falling for that again.
JB Leather supply.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #459
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Oh I wasn't saying I was. I'm rarely in 'classic menswear', and I can't say I ever get flack for it (maybe the odd remark from some coworkers who are totally clueless). My buddy is always in a suit, and the amount of comments he receives for plebs is disgusting. He does live in a city that doesn't have the 'professional' base of Calgary though.

Also, wtf man. A nice pair of well fitting jeans, with the right top and a sport coat that isn't some wannabe suit jacket is a damn fine outfit.
Why are the compliments for a man in a suit, disgusting?

Jeans & a sport coat, is casual, sure. Just so much terrible denim out there (most), and matching with a proper pair of loafers just leaves too much to be desired.

Instead pair, with khakis. Baby blue, salmon, sand, etc lots of options.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #460
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The sportcoat with jeans look really only works with a non-traditional and/or very non-dressy coat. Basically one that really doesn't look anything like a normal dress coat. Denim, no matter how nice, can never really be dressy. Juxtaposing it with a dressy piece just seems like a lazy way to dress things up, but still projecting that you are cool and casual. It's something a 55 year old owner of a moderately successful car dealership would do.

And yes, certain things look better on fashion models than you.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote