Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #741
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I would take Felix rounding into a Kyrgios talent in a heartbeat. Leave the personal issues aside. As a player with a much better mental makeup, Felix could exploit that talent into much more than Nick has or will.
the raw talent is the only thing worthwhile to take from Kyrgios. literally everything else about him on and off court...work ethic, durability, tactics, demeanor, is a disaster.

how about we hope Felix combines Kyrgios talent with Raonic grit? I'll agree to that combination any day.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #742
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about a Milos win and a Flames win tonight? That's not too much to ask for, is it?

https://twitter.com/user/status/973363730409861120
Old 03-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #743
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
How about a Milos win and a Flames win tonight? That's not too much to ask for, is it?
have you seen tonight's forward lineup? I'd recommend keeping the TV tuned to TSN for the entire evening, unless you like to indulge in heartbreak.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #744
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/973654294816636929
Old 03-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #745
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

The men's singles draw at Indian Wells is starting to look like a WTA event - Kohlscreiber just dispatched Cilic, thus seeds #2 through #5 are no longer in the tourney. Roger is still around as the top seed and then it's Delpo at #6.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #746
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Milos wins the opening set over Sousa 7-5 - Two breaks of serve by Milos in the first set (he was broken in the ninth game that gave Sousa a 5-4 lead and then immediately broke right back).
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #747
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it took three sets but Milos wins 7-5 4-6 6-2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #748
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nice job, Milo's.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #749
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
The men's singles draw at Indian Wells is starting to look like a WTA event - Kohlscreiber just dispatched Cilic, thus seeds #2 through #5 are no longer in the tourney. Roger is still around as the top seed and then it's Delpo at #6.
It's definitely a very sad time for the men's game. There's a huge opening for the younger guys to make a move, or for the more veteran players to win some big tournaments. Instead, Roger dominates it all. The post-Federer era is looking mighty bleak at the moment, so much so that it's going to probably keep Fed's career going because he's got no reason to retire when he keeps racking up the wins. It seems insane to me that Connors record might actually be in play, and I still don't realistically think it is, but it's went from being a total absurdity to consider it, to being a possibility you can't dismiss.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #750
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's definitely a very sad time for the men's game. There's a huge opening for the younger guys to make a move, or for the more veteran players to win some big tournaments. Instead, Roger dominates it all. The post-Federer era is looking mighty bleak at the moment, so much so that it's going to probably keep Fed's career going because he's got no reason to retire when he keeps racking up the wins. It seems insane to me that Connors record might actually be in play, and I still don't realistically think it is, but it's went from being a total absurdity to consider it, to being a possibility you can't dismiss.
I think the arrival of Denis and Felix couldn't come at a better time. These guys have every opportunity to use this wide open season as a springboard for attacking the top 20 rankings and filling the gap when Nadal, Federer and Djokovic are no more...which could still be sooner than later for 2 of 3 of these guys that may not be able to stay healthy enough.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #751
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Connors won a significant number of tournaments with tiny draws that would barely be equivalent to today's ATP 250 events. comparing across eras is impossible because the formats have changed so much, but I'm sure someone's already done an analysis showing that the cumulative weight of Roger's wins outstripped Connors a while ago.

I still don't think Fed gets there, 12 more trophies is a hell of a lot for someone who's only committed to playing until next year. but if there's a lull that's helping him collect hardware into old age, fine by me. not like I'm getting much satisfaction out of hockey right now, so I need something to keep me happy at least till October.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #752
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
not like I'm getting much satisfaction out of hockey right now
Hopefully a little satisfaction with finally beating those guys from up north last night.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #753
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I think the arrival of Denis and Felix couldn't come at a better time. These guys have every opportunity to use this wide open season as a springboard for attacking the top 20 rankings and filling the gap when Nadal, Federer and Djokovic are no more...which could still be sooner than later for 2 of 3 of these guys that may not be able to stay healthy enough.
Don't worry Nadal will be back soon enough racking up trophies and Grand Slams in no time. He can't let his old buddy Fed have all the fun with this sad group of players.
Tennis is the one sport where there is no question that this generation is worse than the previous one. Like I dont even think there is a debate at this point. If two men in their 30s could win 5 straight Grand Slams and all pretty easily, the whole field would have been crushed 10 years ago. A guy like Berdych is just unfortunate to be born so early, had he been born 10 years later he could have multiple grand slams and weeks at #1.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #754
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tweet is from last night, thus tomorrow means tonight (just so there's no confusion)

https://twitter.com/user/status/973748595072512000
Old 03-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #755
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Don't worry Nadal will be back soon enough racking up trophies and Grand Slams in no time. He can't let his old buddy Fed have all the fun with this sad group of players.
Tennis is the one sport where there is no question that this generation is worse than the previous one. Like I dont even think there is a debate at this point. If two men in their 30s could win 5 straight Grand Slams and all pretty easily, the whole field would have been crushed 10 years ago. A guy like Berdych is just unfortunate to be born so early, had he been born 10 years later he could have multiple grand slams and weeks at #1.
Berdych is no different than anyone else that has spent significant time in the top 10 during this stretch. Del Potro, Ferrer, Stan, Andy and Cilic would all have had numerous grand slam/big title wins and #1 rankings. I would even go as far as to say guys like Nishikori and even Raonic would have snuck in a few big titles as well.

I don't think it's fair to hammer on the group for not being able to knock of historical greats like Djokovic, Nadal and Federer (possibly Murray) in big events up until now. You beat one of them and you immediately need to knock off another one to have a shot at a big title each and every time. This season will probably play out much differently when all is said and done as Federer will eventually have a drop off again and Nadal will likely not hold up to the rigors of a full season anymore.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-14-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #756
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're dropping like flies on the men's tour...

https://twitter.com/user/status/973957402138574848
Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #757
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Has anyone here ever been to Cincinnati for the Western & Southern Open? Thinking about hitting up a different tournament this year.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #758
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Has anyone here ever been to Cincinnati for the Western & Southern Open? Thinking about hitting up a different tournament this year.
I predict that by the time this tournament rolls around, it'll just be Federer by himself rallying against a backboard. and then after 20 minutes the backboard will spontaneously break in half and be forced to retire.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #759
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I predict that by the time this tournament rolls around, it'll just be Federer by himself rallying against a backboard. and then after 20 minutes the backboard will spontaneously break in half and be forced to retire.
I'd pay to watch
Old 03-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #760
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Baghdatis is still alive?

Closed Thread