Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2017, 01:27 AM   #61
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
No. Gulutzan and the rest of the incompetent coaching staff are wasting years off of our best players.
This a thousand times over. Waiting for GG to be a better coach is an exercise in frustration. The time is now, not when or if GG adjusts.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:00 AM   #62
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't like the hire in the first place. Not because I had anything against Glen Gulutzan, I just thought Bob Hartley should have been able to at least finish his contract. But that is done. Glen Gulutzan is the coach, and for the time being should stay coach.

Generally mid season coaching changes have some positive results in the short term and then things go back to status quo. I don't want to watch the Flames sewer this season because they had to learn ____________s system.

Last edited by Mister Yamoto; 10-25-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:08 AM   #63
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Gaudreau has 12 points in 9 games this year, a 1.33 P/GP pace. That is well above his career average.

Monahan has 8 points in 9 games this year, a 0.89 P/GP pace. That is well above his career average.

Brodie has 8 points in 9 games this year, a 0.89 P/GP pace. That is well above his career average.

Need I go on?
Keyword: 9 games. There's like 60+ players in the NHL playing at a 1.00 P/GP pace. Relax.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 02:19 AM   #64
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Too many posters on this board get an idea in their head and then spin whatever narrative they need to constantly complain about the same thing over and over.

The reality is that Gulutzan isn’t perfect, but he’s a pretty damn good coach for the modern NHL. It’s hockey. Sometimes players will miss assignments, sometimes certain guys just won’t be feeling it, etc.

I’m not sayin Gulutzan is perfect. He has things to learn and work on as does every other coach in the league.

I’m just so tired of trying to read the game thread during a game where we’ve actually been really good and it’s just full of negativity and insults
I completely agree. Too many people will have an opinion and view every action, every decision, every mere coincidence, every random act for ####'s sake as evidence of their pre-determined bias.

I'm sick of the same posters spamming the same statements in every thread, regardless of the actual topic. I've put so many people on my ignore list recently because of it.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 02:27 AM   #65
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I want to like the guy - he is well spoken and seems very intelligent. But if we are honest, we are not a well coached team. There are just too many holes in our game. On paper, we have one of the best defences in the league - have we played that way? Have we shown that? I mean, despite a 20x better roster, we have the same number of points as the Canucks.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemanja2306 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 02:32 AM   #66
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have voiced my opinion about Janko and Bennett repeatedly because I believed it was ridiculous that the team decided to not put their best team on the ice. That said I think GG has done an above average job as coach, he's had hot and cold spells with this team and I'm not gonna hold the Duck series over his head because Elliott truly #### the bed. Only thing I question is his stubbornness to not switch up the lines more in game and his use of Versteeg and Hamilton on the PP. I also won't blame him for the penalties because I do believe that's more of a player issue. I'm not really qualified enough to talk about more tactical intricacies of GG's system, I just know the Flames play a more sound game with him as coach than hartley and that the team looks more in control 5 on 5. Obviously GG has more quality to work with but still better nonetheless. This season will be a good test for GG.

Last edited by Beninho; 10-25-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:40 AM   #67
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
I want to like the guy - he is well spoken and seems very intelligent. But if we are honest, we are not a well coached team. There are just too many holes in our game. On paper, we have one of the best defences in the league - have we played that way? Have we shown that? I mean, despite a 20x better roster, we have the same number of points as the Canucks.
Flames also have played much better teams than the Canucks. The Wild loss was just how hockey is some times and the better team doesn't always win. I wouldn't be comparing W/L's until at least 20 games have gone by. Flames will most likely beat the sabres and Red Wings as well.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:45 AM   #68
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
People in this thread are putting a lot of emphasis on coaching. The differences between one coach and another on outcomes are actually pretty small. A really good or really bad head coach is probably less valuable than an all-star (or trash) goalie over the course of a season, maybe two or three wins in either direction.

Sure, for bubble teams that is the difference between the playoffs and not, but it's not what takes a team from the bubble to contention.
Toronto feels paying Babcock 8M/year is worth it. Results so far indicate it was a good move.

Your sentiments just don't jive with Hartley/Gulutzan though. The Flames braintrust seemed to think coaching was enough of a problem to warrant an early firing for an unproven up and comer.

If fans and media believe Treliving, Bob took the team as far as he could. I take that to mean they believe the roster should win a second round series. The trading of picks supports this.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:00 AM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Toronto feels paying Babcock 8M/year is worth it. Results so far indicate it was a good move.

Your sentiments just don't jive with Hartley/Gulutzan though. The Flames braintrust seemed to think coaching was enough of a problem to warrant an early firing for an unproven up and comer.

If fans and media believe Treliving, Bob took the team as far as he could. I take that to mean they believe the roster should win a second round series. The trading of picks supports this.
A first overall that is going to be an elite player, plus Nylander, Marner, Anderson, Kadri, JVR helps Babcock a bit. That said, Babcock and Gulutzan are very similar in their coaching philosophy, including details like L/R defencemen.

Hartley - it seems a lot of anti-GG sentiment is by people who didn't like the Hartley firing. Hartley's losing record aside, it doesn't seem like any other team thought enough of him to hire him, even as an assistant. He's cooling his heels in Latvia.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:10 AM   #70
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Too many posters on this board get an idea in their head and then spin whatever narrative they need to constantly complain about the same thing over and over.
The very definition of confirmation bias. This is extremely common nowadays, and not just when talking about sports either. I've noticed that people rarely let the evidence sway their opinion, usually because they don't want their opinion to be wrong, but mostly because they've been trained to staunchly defend their position from years of conditioning through just being on the internet. It's rare that you can make an innocuous comment without someone coming in to ram it down your throat how wrong you are. But really, people's egos seem to be fragile, and admitting you were wrong is becomingly increasingly difficult for people to do.

The only advice I have is this:
-stay humble, because all of us are wrong at times. Yes, even smart people are wrong too.
-Let the evidence inform your position. Consider it before you respond.
-Don't get emotional. It's just hockey, and it's just other people on a message board. Oh BTW, we're all cheering for the same team, so there should be a tad more camaraderie than there is.
-Learn to admit when you are wrong. Don't make a big deal about it, just admit your mistake and move on.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 05:41 AM   #71
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good thread. I was curious at all the Gulutzen hate around here but I think it is just a few posters repeating things over and over again instead of a widely held opinion.

Personally I was a big fan of Hartley and wanted Gulutzen fired during the first half of last season, thinking he was the 2nd coming of Gilbert. The great last half of the season being one of the best teams in the league with the record winning streak completely changed my mind and I now believe he is the right coach for this team. Ending the streak in Anaheim also helped to cement this. Gulutzen has earned enough slack that he should be given the chance to get the team past the 1st round and only if he fails in this should we start considering calling for his head.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #72
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some of you really think Backlunds_socks, Stay Golden etc are trying to convince the board that Gulutzan is a bad coach? Amazing.

I'm gonna guess that they know that the board knows their opinion of Glen Gulutzan. Yet, they just keep poking at it. I'd also guess that they are fully aware that they aren't changing anyones mind, in fact they are causing people to swing for the fences the other way. This thread is a perfect example.

And one of the many funny parts of this is that generally the posters who complain about all the nitpicking, insults and negativity are playing a big role in facilitating the nitpicking, insults and negativity. My favourite is the poster(s) who bragged about putting Backlunds_socks on ignore. First, if you put someone on ignore, how did you quote their post to let them know they are ignored? Second, if you are going to make a big deal about ignoring someone.........I don't think you really know what ignore means.

This could be Where are U Chris O'Sullivan all over again!! The clique of posters who had to be right about everything made him the star of the show. Keep up the good work Backlunds_socks. Make your puppets dance.

Last edited by Mister Yamoto; 10-25-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 08:12 AM   #73
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I completely agree. Too many people will have an opinion and view every action, every decision, every mere coincidence, every random act for ####'s sake as evidence of their pre-determined bias.

I'm sick of the same posters spamming the same statements in every thread, regardless of the actual topic. I've put so many people on my ignore list recently because of it.

Those posters being referred to should be redirected back to the GG coaching thread instead of dragging the same drivel into the GT's GT's should be fun, but because of all the negativity (from the same group posters) I stay out of them when I watch the games and read the later part of GT's after the games are done. I know some people use the ignore feature but I try not too. Too bad some of these trolls couldn't be muted during GT's as I bet the quality would be night and day.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #74
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP likes to pretend to be the coach, but we honestly don’t know what goes on in the locker room and at practice.

I agree that GG isn’t the best option, but I’ve liked what he has done with us so far. And the best way to become a better coach is by experience. Little by little GG will be a better coach.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #75
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Some of you really think Backlunds_socks, Stay Golden etc are trying to convince the board that Gulutzan is a bad coach? Amazing.

I'm gonna guess that they know that the board knows their opinion of Glen Gulutzan. Yet, they just keep poking at it. I'd also guess that they are fully aware that they aren't changing anyones mind, in fact they are causing people to swing for the fences the other way. This thread is a perfect example.

And one of the many funny parts of this is that generally the posters who complain about all the nitpicking, insults and negativity are playing a big role in facilitating the nitpicking, insults and negativity. My favourite is the poster(s) who bragged about putting Backlunds_socks on ignore. First, if you put someone on ignore, how did you quote their post to let them know they are ignored? Second, if you are going to make a big deal about ignoring someone.........I don't think you really know what ignore means.

This could be Where are U Chris O'Sullivan all over again!! The clique of posters who had to be right about everything made him the star of the show. Keep up the good work Backlunds_socks. Make your puppets dance.
You're describing troll behavior on the part of those posters. I don't think that's something that should be celebrated.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #76
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You're describing troll behavior on the part of those posters. I don't think that's something that should be celebrated.
This thread is about GG. If you don't agree with the CP mass it makes you a troll?

Jesus, this forum is unbearable. If you have a different opinion, or a grammatical error, half its members take it personally.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #77
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
This thread is about GG. If you don't agree with the CP mass it makes you a troll?

Jesus, this forum is unbearable. If you have a different opinion, or a grammatical error, half its members take it personally.
No, I don't agree. Differences of opinions are fine, but back it up with something other than "I feel that..." insert whatever. That's just an emotional reaction that is personal to that one person. If the large majority of a group doesn't agree, accept that and move on. What I detest is when someone feels the need to say their own personal reaction over and over ad nauseam without adding anything to the discussion in a reasonable way or with tangible evidence. It's boring and does nothing to foster reasonable discussion, but rather gets an emotional reaction from a bunch of other people on the board. Someone who does that is likely doing it in a calculated way expecting a certain result based on past experience. Either that person is starving for attention, or they're trolling. Take your pick.

Oh, and clearly communicating your ideas with relatively proper grammar only strengthens your credibility. Try it sometime.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #78
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The reality is that Gulutzan isn’t perfect, but he’s a pretty damn good coach for the modern NHL. It’s hockey. Sometimes players will miss assignments, sometimes certain guys just won’t be feeling it, etc.

I’m not sayin Gulutzan is perfect. He has things to learn and work on as does every other coach in the league.

I’m just so tired of trying to read the game thread during a game where we’ve actually been really good and it’s just full of negativity and insults
Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the right game based off the gdt. Some people are so hopelessly pessimistic and toxic I wonder why they even watch the games, they're clearly not enjoying themselves
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #79
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post

...."half "it's" members" makes it seem like your not from these parts? Are you actually a Flames fan or are you trolling?

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 10-25-2017 at 08:39 AM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:38 AM   #80
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

GG is the best option right now so deal with it people. Unless you can name a replacement right at this moment (Not Sutter) please let me know.

At the end of this season there could be plenty of candidates available.

Joel Quenneville (If the hawks have a poor season or get bounced out early) Now if he does get fired you make the move to hire him a priority!
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote