Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #201
Bawbag
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He needs to go right now. Just not good enough
Bawbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #202
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Zero adjustments. How is it possible to make zero adjustments in this situation Glen? Are we going to patience our way to the bottom? Ridiculous.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #203
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Darryl Sutter
Nah, GG is more like Brent.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #204
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No, he isn't. He really isn't. He may be a good strategist, but during the game we'd be better off putting the guy that tapes up the sticks in charge of lines.

I honestly don't care who we replace him with, just please, replace him.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 PM   #205
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Personally, I choose to base my opinion on a coach based off of results instead of anecdotes and knee-jerk reactions.

Last year, the powerplay wasn't working to start the season, which is why it was changed. Versteeg was put on the point, and he ended up leading the team in powerplay goals. Now, it clearly isn't working anymore, so who's to say that it won't be changed again?

Trust the process.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #206
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Fire Glen Gulutzan

1) Defensive coverage is passive and lacks intensity

2) Special teams are terrible. No one moves their feet on the PP. The PK is passive. The line combinations on the PP are bad. Bad special teams was cited as a reason behind the Hartley firing. So don't give me any bull#### about "its not GG who does the PP."

3) Outside of the 3M line, no one battles well in the offensive zone. As a result, there is no zone pressure

4) Ice time management is piss poor. The fourth line is getting 10-15 minutes a game, but is composed of Stajan and Glass, two players that are AHLers at best.

5) Bennett - the highest draft pick in flames history - isn't developing properly

All of the above issues are coaching issue. Its time for Glen to go. The window isn't open for very long - we cant afford to have an inexperienced and ineffective coach at the helm.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #207
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

gg
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #208
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire Gulutzan. The team doesn't look motivated at all. Teams are a reflection of their coach, which explains why this team is an emotionless ball of boring. Just get it done already.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #209
Pipty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

A few years back the penguins made a coaching change that turned them around 180. Hopefully tre sees that there is only one change he can make to hopefully salvage this season before its too late.
Pipty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 PM   #210
ThaBrink
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipty View Post
A few years back the penguins made a coaching change that turned them around 180. Hopefully tre sees that there is only one change he can make to hopefully salvage this season before its too late.
The only problem is that for every situation like that, there's one that ends up the exact opposite.
ThaBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThaBrink For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #211
Pipty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can't get any worse right now can it?
Pipty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #212
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Personally, I choose to base my opinion on a coach based off of results instead of anecdotes and knee-jerk reactions.

Last year, the powerplay wasn't working to start the season, which is why it was changed. Versteeg was put on the point, and he ended up leading the team in powerplay goals. Now, it clearly isn't working anymore, so who's to say that it won't be changed again?

Trust the process.

You’re joking right? You’re just trying to justify starting the GG is a good coach thread. He is terrible.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:54 PM   #213
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Jesus Christ. Talk about a ####ing knee-jerk reaction. It's been eleven games and this is hardly the most surprising start to a season in the NHL. The way I've seen it, while I agree that specialty teams need to be improved, that's Dave Cameron's responsibility and his track record is the opposite of pristine. In terms of an actual system, well, we saw from December to March last year what Gulutzan's system can look like when it's implemented properly.

From where I sit, the Flames are already well ahead of their development curve when compared to last year and are in a much better position moving forward. If I was to make a change, I'd change around some of the forwards on the roster and maybe consider an external addition, but again, that's not on Gulutzan, it's Treliving's job.

Also, for the record, Gulutzan is hardly "inexperienced". He has over five years of NHL coaching experience.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #214
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus Christ. Talk about a ####ing knee-jerk reaction. It's been eleven games and this is hardly the most surprising start to a season in the NHL. The way I've seen it, while I agree that specialty teams need to be improved, that's Dave Cameron's responsibility and his track record is the opposite of pristine. In terms of an actual system, well, we saw from December to March last year what Gulutzan's system can look like when it's implemented properly.

From where I sit, the Flames are already well ahead of their development curve when compared to last year and are in a much better position moving forward. If I was to make a change, I'd change around some of the forwards on the roster and maybe consider an external addition, but again, that's not on Gulutzan, it's Treliving's job.

Also, for the record, Gulutzan is hardly "inexperienced". He has over five years of NHL coaching experience.

How so?
Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #215
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Darryl Sutter:
634-467 Regular Season record
89-81 Playoffs record
17 playoff rounds won
2 Stanley Cups

Glen Gully:
114-95 Regular Season
0-4 Playoffs
0 playoff rounds won
0 stanley cups

Even if Gully gets us to the playoffs, I doubt he's going to have much success.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #216
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Trust the process.
The results are a mediocre team. Period.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #217
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
You’re joking right? You’re just trying to justify starting the GG is a good coach thread. He is terrible.
I'm not "trying" to do anything. Feel free to question the justification for me starting this thread -- which, I feel, is well-founded -- but considering the lack of good options available out there and what I've seen from Gulutzan, I don't support a coaching change.

For the record, Darryl Sutter would be an absolutely horrible option that I want no part of. Look what L.A. is doing now that they've been freed from his "system". The Flames aren't built for his teachings anymore, they're designed for old and slow teams, which the Kings of 2012 and 2014 were but aren't anymore, and the Flames haven't been since like 2012.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #218
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Coaching seems like the biggest problem with this team right now. Playing well below the sum of their parts.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #219
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

So if we fire GG do I get unblocked by lots of people?
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #220
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not "trying" to do anything. Feel free to question the justification for me starting this thread -- which, I feel, is well-founded -- but considering the lack of good options available out there and what I've seen from Gulutzan, I don't support a coaching change.

For the record, Darryl Sutter would be an absolutely horrible option that I want no part of. Look what L.A. is doing now that they've been freed from his "system". The Flames aren't built for his teachings anymore, they're designed for old and slow teams, which the Kings of 2012 and 2014 were but aren't anymore, and the Flames haven't been since like 2012.
Absolutely agree with this. Darryl Sutter's way of coaching would be a disaster with this team.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: