Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #2521
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I think there's more to it than that.

Jon doesn't want to be seen as tainted or illegitimate. Is he truly the King of North or just some vessel of Melissandre's magic?

Can he be trusted if he was revived by magic? Does he owe a debt that will undermine his alliance with Daenaerys? Can he be trusted if his own men assassinated him?

Lots of strategic reasons for him to not want to divulge this information to Dany.
"I want your army, dragons and I'm going to comb your island for dragon glass without giving anything in return to fight the army of the undead"

"By the way, I was dead early but I'm alive again"

Probably good reason not to mention that.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #2522
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
In life there are people that enjoy things and there are people that enjoy complaining about things. It's like a whole worldview or something inherent in their personality. Pretty insufferable though if you're on the other side of the fence and actually enjoy things. Very hard for these two different types of people to converse and understand each other. Color me not surprised at all at Tinordi and Flash Walken hating on things in GoT. Isn't that pretty much their MO in every topic at hand? Pretty miserable way of viewing the world IMO but I don't really understand it. Maybe they have good reason to be miserable people I dunno.
God, what a stupid post.

A legitimate explanation for a gripe was just given. If you still can't grasp it, then that's an issue with you. People can find flaws in things they still like, it's not an on/off switch.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #2523
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
In life there are people that enjoy things and there are people that enjoy complaining about things. It's like a whole worldview or something inherent in their personality. Pretty insufferable though if you're on the other side of the fence and actually enjoy things. Very hard for these two different types of people to converse and understand each other. Color me not surprised at all at Tinordi and Flash Walken hating on things in GoT. Isn't that pretty much their MO in every topic at hand? Pretty miserable way of viewing the world IMO but I don't really understand it. Maybe they have good reason to be miserable people I dunno.

Are you enjoying complaining about my complaining?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #2524
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if we get to see Arya meet up with Clegane in the next episode. They're both heading north from around the same area, so it seems a decent chance. Clegane and crew need to finally get out of the woods and rejoin a main plot line some time soon.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #2525
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Wonder if we get to see Arya meet up with Clegane in the next episode. They're both heading north from around the same area, so it seems a decent chance. Clegane and crew need to finally get out of the woods and rejoin a main plot line some time soon.
If episode #1 told us anything is that the brotherhood is heading to where the wall meets the ocean. Not certain Aryia meets the hound any time soon.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #2526
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Are you enjoying complaining about my complaining?
Wasn't complaining about anything you posted. I don't have any issue with people nitpicking some things here and there with good reason. Your posts seem well reasoned and not over the top at all. You don't "hate" on the show from what I've noticed.

Tinordi takes it to a new level and it obviously taints or poisons his entire experience. Comes across like they don't enjoy the show at all. If you're just going to hate on it maybe keep it to yourself instead of poisoning a thread full of people that enjoy the show?

Quotes like, "The show runners are clearly struggling at writing the show on their own merit"
"Seriously, that closing sequence was just so bad. So bad! "
"To me it just tarnishes the world by insinuating that everyone is an incompetent military commander"
"Just idiotic writing."
"Just sit and think about how stupid this all is"
"I don't know whether I'm watching Game of thrones or the cut scenes to some half baked RTS game I used to play when I was a teenager. Brutal."

My apologies to Flash Walken, it would appear it's mostly Tinordi's posts that I found so foul and miserable.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #2527
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping the Hound will at some point meet that Mountain. For that matter, I still want to see Franken Mountain fight anyone. He's been absent from action for the most part so far.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 01:19 AM   #2528
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I'm hoping the Hound will at some point meet that Mountain. For that matter, I still want to see Franken Mountain fight anyone. He's been absent from action for the most part so far.
Mountain vs Grey Worm?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 04:41 AM   #2529
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Hound vs. Mountain 2: This Time It's Personal hopefully happens before the series conclusion
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #2530
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was this the last we will see of Ellaria (I suppose she could be rescued) and has Yara Greyjoy been executed? That's one of the issues I have with the accelerated pace is that it would be nice to have better closure for some of these characters.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #2531
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Was this the last we will see of Ellaria (I suppose she could be rescued) and has Yara Greyjoy been executed? That's one of the issues I have with the accelerated pace is that it would be nice to have better closure for some of these characters.
I think they have intentionally left these characters alive. Eleria will play a part in killing Cersai just based on the foreshadowing in her speech about Oberon.

Last edited by GGG; 08-03-2017 at 07:41 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #2532
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Even with the accelerated pace I can't see them not giving us answers like this. Both Yara and Ellaria were fairly major characters.

In GoT, anytime someone begins showboating or draws out an enemies demise, it seems to haunt them. Yara and Ellaria not being finished off is likely to result in some kind of come uppance
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #2533
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't mind the Euron arc.

It's the great equalizer. Dany was coming over to Westeros with 2 of the biggest houses in her back pocket and a weak queen in kings landing. That isn't riveting at all. It's a matter of time before she would have taken the throne and we would all be griping about how anti-climatic the whole thing was (i followed dany for 6 seasons and she came in and walked all over everyone!)

Euron is the equalizer. Sure, gripe about the way he has done so, but he has essentially eliminated Dany's advantage over Cersei and put more cards on the table moving forward. Does she go mad? Does she enlist Jon (who she really didnt need to begin with) Does she go all out on Kings landing?

These are all more interesting than the entitled heir coming to claim what's hers without opposition, plus it removes two major plot points to focus on the main ones to come.

Not only that, but there has to be some sort of redemption in Theon's future, which will most likely involve him killing Euron and rescuing his sis etc. If this doesn't happen then what the heck was the point of keeping Theon alive in this show for so many years.

I can't imagine Euron lasting past this season. Sure he has come into the "game" fast and furious and tipped the balance a bit, but this season would be a bit of a let down if dany wasn't challenged at all.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #2534
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I don't mind the Euron arc.

It's the great equalizer. Dany was coming over to Westeros with 2 of the biggest houses in her back pocket and a weak queen in kings landing. That isn't riveting at all. It's a matter of time before she would have taken the throne and we would all be griping about how anti-climatic the whole thing was (i followed dany for 6 seasons and she came in and walked all over everyone!)

Euron is the equalizer. Sure, gripe about the way he has done so, but he has essentially eliminated Dany's advantage over Cersei and put more cards on the table moving forward. Does she go mad? Does she enlist Jon (who she really didnt need to begin with) Does she go all out on Kings landing?

These are all more interesting than the entitled heir coming to claim what's hers without opposition, plus it removes two major plot points to focus on the main ones to come.

Not only that, but there has to be some sort of redemption in Theon's future, which will most likely involve him killing Euron and rescuing his sis etc. If this doesn't happen then what the heck was the point of keeping Theon alive in this show for so many years.

I can't imagine Euron lasting past this season. Sure he has come into the "game" fast and furious and tipped the balance a bit, but this season would be a bit of a let down if dany wasn't challenged at all.
Euron is the classic case of "Pride cometh before the Fall."

Hes getting away with it for now because hes winning battles, but that wont last forever.

I do understand the 'Deus Ex Machina' complaints about Euron though, hes just too convenient all the time.

He shows up everywhere with this magic invincible fleet that came out of nowhere and is crewed by no one that never loses and he always knows where his enemy is and what they're up to.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #2535
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

and to think Dany just wanted to take her dragons out looking for Euron. when Mereen was last under attack it took them a good minute to sink a single ship, by flying stationary over it and vomiting fire on it nonstop. unless they found a way to do it more efficiently, that plan would have ended quite disastrously.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #2536
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not an accelerated pace issue, that's a "haven't seen the whole season and want to know the future issue".

They set the expectation that we will see these characters again, so lets judge it after it plays out.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 12:15 AM   #2537
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Even with the accelerated pace I can't see them not giving us answers like this. Both Yara and Ellaria were fairly major characters.

In GoT, anytime someone begins showboating or draws out an enemies demise, it seems to haunt them. Yara and Ellaria not being finished off is likely to result in some kind of come uppance
It would be appropriate that Ellaria would kill Cersei. Myrcella was poisoned and so was Ellarias daughter. Cersei is gloating with her victory over Ellaria, much like Oberyn did over the mountain. This show always seems to come back in full circle.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 AM   #2538
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
It would be appropriate that Ellaria would kill Cersei. Myrcella was poisoned and so was Ellarias daughter. Cersei is gloating with her victory over Ellaria, much like Oberyn did over the mountain. This show always seems to come back in full circle.
If Cersei dies to Myrcella I would be disappointed. I feel a better/bigger character needs to kill her.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:25 AM   #2539
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
If Cersei dies to Myrcella I would be disappointed. I feel a better/bigger character needs to kill her.
Yup, no way Ellaria kills Cersei in my mind. Most likely a Stark, one of the girls. Lannister son kills Stark father, Stark daughter kills Lannister mother.

Outside chance it's Tyrion. Or a dragon. Or Tyrion on a dragon.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #2540
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a fan theory floated after episode 1 of this season: in the scene with the giant map on the floor, Cersei was standing in the area known as the Neck, and Jamie was standing in the Fingers, so some of speculated that that was foreshadowing Jamie killing her. After Lady Tyrell warning him that Cersei was becoming a monster, maybe he buys into that and becomes a Queen Slayer in addition to a King Slayer
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote