Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #61
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think Skinner is overpaid by about $3-4million AAV, while Lucic is overpaid by like $5 million. But at least they are both NHL players. I gotta go with Loui Erickson as worst contract.

Skinner is a guy who can score goals in the league, so is probably realistically a $5.5-6 million player. Quick maths: 29.38 goals/82 games
Skinner only outscored Lucic last year by a measly 3 points without providing any of the intangibles that Lucic does.

Yeah, it's only one season and Skinner is obviously more skilled, but I don't make that trade one for one.

I think Lucic is easily worth 2 to 2.5 in value. He is far from a liability.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #62
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta be down to Skinner & Parise. They're a step-ladder below the rest.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #63
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Lucic might have had the worst contact three years ago but at this point he's not even close—with just three years left, there are many deals that are worse.

I would say Drew Doughty's contract is awfully close to being the worst. $11 million for a guy who was flat-out awful last year.
He clearly is. Just because there may be worse, doesn't mean Lucic and his contract aren't right up near the top.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #64
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Does Rick Dipietro count?..
Not int this thread, I guess, because OP asked for opinions on the currently active worst contracts. But yeah, DiPietro's contract is likely still one of the worst NHL contracts ever.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:30 PM   #65
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Not int this thread, I guess, because OP asked for opinions on the currently active worst contracts. But yeah, DiPietro's contract is likely still one of the worst NHL contracts ever.
Kovalchuk's 15yr deal would give DiPietro a run just because that seems like a bonkers idea to commit that much money for that much term, but yeah, not the int of the thread.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #66
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Kovalchuk's 15yr deal would give DiPietro a run just because that seems like a bonkers idea to commit that much money for that much term, but yeah, not the int of the thread.
Well, that's arguable. Kovalchuk did play and did contribute albeit not at the level of his pay, which made his contract awful. His contract would be in the same rank as Luongo's, perhaps. DiPietro literally got paid obscene amount money for NOT playing.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #67
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Well, that's arguable. Kovalchuk did play and did contribute albeit not at the level of his pay, which made his contract awful. His contract would be in the same rank as Luongo's, perhaps. DiPietro literally got paid obscene amount money for NOT playing.
yeah fair enough, I just always shake my head at signing a player for 15yrs.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:40 PM   #68
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He clearly is. Just because there may be worse, doesn't mean Lucic and his contract aren't right up near the top.
I don't know if he's even in the top 40, honestly. I went through every team in the league and I think you can make pretty concrete arguments about all of these being worse.

Spoiler!
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:41 PM   #69
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
yeah fair enough, I just always shake my head at signing a player for 15yrs.
No argument there, for sure.

I always said that if the league had implemented one-year contracts for all players, we'd have the best possible hockey every season.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #70
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if he's even in the top 40, honestly. I went through every team in the league and I think you can make pretty concrete arguments about all of these being worse.

Spoiler!
Lol. I mean it's great to list a bunch of contracts, but lets not pretend that Lucic can barely skate, can't be waived and can't be reasonably bought out.

He's up near the top of worst league contracts. Easily.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #71
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. I mean it's great to list a bunch of contracts, but lets not pretend that Lucic can barely skate, can't be waived and can't be reasonably bought out.

He skates just fine. He doesn't put up the points he used to but analytically speaking he's still a reasonable player. Your other points are true but by all measures Lucic is not dragging anyone down on the ice, he just gets paid too much. The same can not be said for some of these.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #72
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:

He can't skate but he's still a solid player. That's more than you can say for a lot of the players I listed — and, relatively speaking, his contract isn't very long at all.

It's much easier to deal with three years of Lucic at $5.25 than, say, six more years of Vlasic at $7 or Matheson at close to $5. Especially when Lucic provides many more positive impacts on play than those guys do.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 01-13-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #73
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As a guy who just recently took Jeff Skinner in his salary-capped fantasy league I feel a need to step in here.

- 28 years old
- a history of interchanging good and bad seasons
- just reunited with Eric Staal
- less pressure/spotlight due to Taylor Hall

But seriously I am rebuilding and needed to get to the cap floor.

The worst contracts, in my opinion, are Dipietro and Brad Richards who are being paid millions and haven't played for years.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #74
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably easier to make a list of good UFA contracts.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:17 PM   #75
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
He can't skate but he's still a solid player. That's more than you can say for a lot of the players I listed — and, relatively speaking, his contract isn't very long at all.

It's much easier to deal with three years of Lucic at $5.25 than, say, six more years of Vlasic at $7 or Matheson at close to $5. Especially when Lucic provides many more positive impacts on play than those guys do.
But he didnt do the ONE thing he should have and probably needed to do...which makes his contract just gross.

Kassian should have been rag-dolled by him....thats his job.

Lets be honest here...he isnt anything more than a situational, (best served with fewer minutes) player who is truly among the slowest skaters in the game and will only step up when it isnt a friend of his on the receiving end.

His contract may not be the "worst" in the league...but its way up there.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #76
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
He skates just fine. He doesn't put up the points he used to but analytically speaking he's still a reasonable player. Your other points are true but by all measures Lucic is not dragging anyone down on the ice, he just gets paid too much. The same can not be said for some of these.
What??
Old 01-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #77
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!
OEL, Ristolainen and Tanev are NOT worse than Lucic, come on.

I refused to go any further than that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #78
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously, Tanev is either going to be top pair or 2nd pair, depending on how Ward runs the pairings. He is a great skater, a good passer, plays 20 minutes a game, and is currently the Flames' 3rd best defenseman (until Hanifin passes him and Valimaki gets the chance to prove otherwise).

And all that $750k/yr less than Lucic.

Some of your takes are seriously out there.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #79
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Lucic is 100% in the top 10 worst contracts in the league, even with a $750k discount, just maybe not the top 5.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:50 PM   #80
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Seriously, Tanev is either going to be top pair or 2nd pair, depending on how Ward runs the pairings. He is a great skater, a good passer, plays 20 minutes a game, and is currently the Flames' 3rd best defenseman (until Hanifin passes him and Valimaki gets the chance to prove otherwise).

And all that $750k/yr less than Lucic.

Some of your takes are seriously out there.
He played that much last year, too, fully healthy, and was genuinely not very good at all. Poor offensively, poor defensively. Do I think he could rebound? Sure. But he hasn't yet.

Lucic, on the other hand, has changed his game to the point where he's valuable as a defensive forward. Tanev is billed as a defensive defenseman but he made a guy like Quinn Hughes worse defensively when they were on the ice together.