Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #181
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do all Hamonic threads turn to ####?

Frig off with covid stuff (and apparently flat earther stuff, wtf) and let's talk hockey in the hockey forum.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #182
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Both the Egyptians and Greeks were aware the earth was round before Christ, its just us North Europeans that are dumb asses
And the Mayans. And most others.

Human stupidity was largely forwarded by the Catholic church who decided, in their wisdom (), that the best way to create and maintain control of the masses was to uneducate them. Basically only clergy were afforded an education, and for everyone else, education was replaced with fear and mythology.

A thousand plus years of that, and western civilization was dumber than a sack of hammers.

(sorry, back to the mask debate)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #183
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Hamonic makes no apologies, so all you Flat-Earthers and Doo-Doo Heads can go suck a puck.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1350528130776109056
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:00 PM   #184
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

So regardless of the fact the bubble was the safest Covid free place in Canada he wouldn’t do it differently.

This response coupled with the mediocre performance and ridiculous cost to acquire make me really wish the Flames lost the Hamonic sweepstakes back in 2017 (the opt out plays little role in that it is more the cost/performance that has me irked)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #185
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's less safe now Travis. So going back in time knowing how secure that bubble was you wouldn't do anything different?

Smell ya later.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #186
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
So regardless of the fact the bubble was the safest Covid free place in Canada he wouldn’t do it differently.

This response coupled with the mediocre performance and ridiculous cost to acquire make me really wish the Flames lost the Hamonic sweepstakes back in 2017 (the opt out plays little role in that it is more the cost/performance that has me irked)
He most likely said he wouldn't do it differently, like most, because he got to spend time with his family and his loved ones ended up being healthy and still alive.

I think people read a little too much into a simple quote.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #187
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

He made the best choice he could have at the time given the information, right or wrong isn't for anyone else to say. His reasons are his own and he's a private citizen he can do what he wants. I think picking at this like it's an issue is distasteful.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #188
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t even care if he did it purely to spite the flames or because he doesn’t care. It was his choice and the opt out was presented to him as an option, with no penalty for doing so.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 02:46 PM   #189
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly, he opted out because of his young daughter, no one should fault him for that. And if he signed with the Canucks to spite the Flames, well, spite away, because he is not that good.

Last edited by midniteowl; 01-16-2021 at 03:19 PM.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #190
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

There are people in here taking his choice as some sort of personal slight and it's funny as hell until you realize it's actually pretty disturbing.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #191
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Every home game, Travis Hamonic brings in an orphaned child selected at random, points at them, and says "pull my finger."
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #192
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
He most likely said he wouldn't do it differently, like most, because he got to spend time with his family and his loved ones ended up being healthy and still alive.

I think people read a little too much into a simple quote.
Fair enough he literally spent the previous 5 months before the bubble with his family and then had a lengthy offseason to do the same.

End of the day he didn’t go anything he wasn’t allowed to do and he is not a flame anymore so it is what it is.

Him playing or skipping the bubble has no bearing on the fact at the end of the day his acquisition was the worst move of the Flames rebuild and set the team back.

That’s the end of it for me though I will root against him because of the crest on the front of his jersey and not the name on his back because he does seem like a great human being.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #193
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing as how we are playing the Canucks today, and Hamonic is now a Canuck, I am curious how people feel about him opting out of the bubble... do you agree? Disagree? Still angry? LMK, thanks.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #194
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think its not that people are slighting him for choosing his family when he did when we had no idea what would happen or if a bubble would work (even though it became quickly obvious that it was safer than the world outside the bubble). At the time people here gave him a pass and were understanding.

The point is he's going against that decision now, which comes with a much greater risk to his daughter/family. He's within his rights to make whatever choice he wants to, but it won't stop people from putting that logic into question.

I just wonder what changed for him to make him decide that it was worth the risk to participate now. Because if his kids vulnerability is the same today it doesn't seem wise. It makes you wonder if it was in part that he was just done with the Flames.

I think going to the Canucks is pretty secondary. He was going to take work where he could find it. It helps that he doesn't move the needle for any team at this point in his career.

I hope he's able to stay healthy for the sake of his family.

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-16-2021 at 03:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #195
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canucks sign Hamonic (1 year, $1.25 million, NMC)

I hear Travis Hamonic eats babies and thinks the final season of Game of Thrones was actually pretty good.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #196
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

I just wonder what changed for him to make him decide that it was worth the risk to participate now. Because if his kids vulnerability is the same today it doesn't seem wise. It makes you wonder if it was in part that he was just done with the Flames.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the change was earning an income, and if he sat out again the chances of him earning an income afterwards drops even lower (as a hockey player anyway).

I don't understand how people have an issue with this. I understand his thought process both then and now personally and wish him the best (just not at the expense of the flames!).
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #197
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

We don’t know his reasons for opting out before and playing now
And it’s frankly none of our business
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:50 PM   #198
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I for one thought the defense got better when he opted out, so win win.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 03:52 PM   #199
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
We don’t know his reasons for opting out before and playing now
And it’s frankly none of our business
Oh it isn't. But you know how this business and fans can be.

Unfortunately such is the life players take on when they go pro. Especially north of the border. Everything is put under the magnifying glass, even off the ice.

See: Evander Kane.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #200
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think its not that people are slighting him for choosing his family when he did when we had no idea what would happen or if a bubble would work (even though it became quickly obvious that it was safer than the world outside the bubble). At the time people here gave him a pass and were understanding.

The point is he's going against that decision now, which comes with a much greater risk to his daughter/family. He's within his rights to make whatever choice he wants to, but it won't stop people from putting that logic into question.

I think going to the Canucks is pretty secondary. He was going to take work where he could find it. It helps that he doesn't move the needle for any team at this point in his career.

I hope he's able to stay healthy for the sake of his family.
The difference is he's getting paid now. He wasn't getting paid to play the playoffs last year and his contract was up. He didn't want to risk getting hurt. I'm guessing he thought this year was his last chance at a big multi-year contract, which, as it turns out, he didn't get anyway. I don't fault him for this but I believe he was being a little disingenuous in using covid as the sole reason.

And as others have said, he had every right to do what he thought was best for him and it really is none of our business as to the why. I also think we are a better team without him in the lineup at this point in his career.

Last edited by chedder; 01-16-2021 at 04:17 PM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post: