Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #721
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

One nice thing about having Rittich is that it's not Markstrom or bust for at least this season. I'm hopeful Markstrom can play as well for the Flames as he did for the Canucks but it could take a bit of time for him to acclimate to playing in front of a different team and not facing the amount of rubber he faced with the Canucks. He doesn't really need to be a Vezina candidate for the Flames. He only needs to be a top 15 goaltender.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #722
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Bad goal" in this sense simply meaning bad shots that the goalie has a clear view of. I'm sure there's still a few that would make fans groan
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #723
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
I'm excited about Markstrom too but agree with the thoughts that "he didn't let in a single bad goal" is likely overstating things significantly.
"Bad goal" in this case is not something that was simply determined by observation. These guys have set over 30 data points to track for EVERY shot taken in a NHL game. A bad goal is pretty specifically defined according to a combination of the criteria, which have been decided upon by actual goalies and goalie-coaches. It's not arbitrary, even though an onlooker might think otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #724
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

So from outside the slot, 30+ feet away from the net if Markstrom can see it he will stop it. That's just a fact. The hilarious part was they told us this stat in the first game of the play-in series and about 20 seconds after they told us this, he let one of these exact shots in.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #725
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
One nice thing about having Rittich is that it's not Markstrom or bust for at least this season. I'm hopeful Markstrom can play as well for the Flames as he did for the Canucks but it could take a bit of time for him to acclimate to playing in front of a different team and not facing the amount of rubber he faced with the Canucks. He doesn't really need to be a Vezina candidate for the Flames. He only needs to be a top 15 goaltender.

I agree... but I would love to see Wolf play sometime this year, I don't care about his size. I think he's going to be a star in this league and I know that's going out on a limb, but I have this feeling about him and I think he was our best pick in the 2019 draft and it came 214th overall.

Why do good goalies come so late in the draft, they are hard to pick and easy to pick wrong when high in the draft - look at Devon Levi, he was 212th overall in 2020, and Rick DiPietro who was a number 1 pick - goalies also tend to be late late bloomers where early life success doesn't mean as much as it does with position players - so we will have to wait and see about Wolf and Levi - I get that.... but mark my words here, I think Wolf will be our next Kiprusoff who was a later pick (116th) and 3rd stringer until he came here - they are also similar in size.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #726
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
I'm excited about Markstrom too but agree with the thoughts that "he didn't let in a single bad goal" is likely overstating things significantly.

In one of AC's highlight videos (Backlund I think) Markstrom let in one through the pads that made me groan...

But, he is a big upgrade over what we had and I'm looking forward to watching him behind a good team.
Hmm I don't think so.

The Flames scored 7 goals on Markstrom last year:

1. Lindholm off a Myers turnover in the slot to Gaudreau:
https://youtu.be/CPGT60GPGtE?t=130
2. Monahan onetimer cross crease from a Gaudreau pass behind the net:
https://youtu.be/CPGT60GPGtE?t=292
3. Ryan shot through the self-screen of Virtanen:
https://youtu.be/nuVHqU3SnAY?t=97
4. Tkachuk rebound goal off his skate following a stickless defensive breakdown:
https://youtu.be/nuVHqU3SnAY?t=142
5. Dube shot around the Ryan/Hughes screen:
https://youtu.be/nuVHqU3SnAY?t=263
6. Lucic perfect backdoor deflection on the PP:
https://youtu.be/nuVHqU3SnAY?t=421
7. Monahan onetimer 2 on 1 fivehole:
https://youtu.be/nuVHqU3SnAY?t=463

Huge defensive breakdowns by Vancouver on every single goal IMO.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #727
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
"Bad goal" in this case is not something that was simply determined by observation. These guys have set over 30 data points to track for EVERY shot taken in a NHL game. A bad goal is pretty specifically defined according to a combination of the criteria, which have been decided upon by actual goalies and goalie-coaches. It's not arbitrary, even though an onlooker might think otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
This is literally what "arbitrary" means.

And yeah, claiming there's a goalie who never let in a bad goal made sure I'm not going to take that guy very seriously.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #728
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am not saying the top line gets back to career numbers. Gaudreau the last 3 years: 84, 99, 58 points. Monahan: 64, 82, 58.

They don't need to get back to their highs (and likely won't). But they were WAY off normal numbers last year, and a rebound of some sort seems pretty reasonable.

Agree to disagree on the defense. They will be better than last year. Probably by a fair margin. Even if Hanifin is what he is (unlikely for a 24 yer old defenseman), he is nonetheless significantly better with Andersson than with Hamonic. That is a fact, and that alone makes him better than last year.

And the 3rd pair, Valimaki-Nestorov, is also an improvement.

As for Giordano and Tanev, they will be used for shut-down and PK. Andersson is being slotted in for the PP. That will allow Gio to do what he does bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Yeah I guess if everything goes right. But that’s what I mean their wheels can fall off too.

I don’t see the depth. Right now your projected 3rd pairing d is a kid who has played like 24 games and a dman who can’t stick for a full season in the NHL.

You guys make fun of other fans when they are this positive about there team.
Apparently you don't know what "if everything goes right means". Not a single thing in my post requires things to go right. It was all just 'reasonable' case.

The only significant 'if' that I brought up was the 3rd pair. Last year, the Flames used Hamonic, Kylington, Stone, Gustafsson and Forbort (7 games each for the last 2).

All we are asking of Valimaki and Nestorov (and Kylington and Mackey) is that they not be worse than what we had last year. That should not be a problem. Of all the defensemen listed, Valimaki is the most talented. Sure, he only has 24 NHL games on his resume, but if that were the bottom line on analysis, well, I guess we could all be Oiler fans.

You are one of the few tolerable Oiler fans on this site, but it is absolutely hilarious that you would (so incorrectly) use the phrase 'if everything goes right' when your team is coming off a record PP season with several guys having crazy shooting percentages, while I am talking about guys being somewhere in between their best and worst seasons.

But you do you.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #729
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
This is literally what "arbitrary" means.

And yeah, claiming there's a goalie who never let in a bad goal made sure I'm not going to take that guy very seriously.
um no, arbitrary means: "based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system", literally the opposite of what took place here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #730
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

This is a goofy thing in terms of ranking a player.... but I’ve been doing some hockey pool drafts and mock drafts, and Markstrom is hilariously low. He’s ranked 90-180 I’ve been seeing, and being taken around the 10-15th goalie... I don’t get it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #731
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
So from outside the slot, 30+ feet away from the net if Markstrom can see it he will stop it. That's just a fact. The hilarious part was they told us this stat in the first game of the play-in series and about 20 seconds after they told us this, he let one of these exact shots in.
That is because Vancouver is no good.

Markstrom carried the Canucks on his back last year. Every Nuck fan knows this, even if they are now reticent to admit it.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #732
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This is a goofy thing in terms of ranking a player.... but I’ve been doing some hockey pool drafts and mock drafts, and Markstrom is hilariously low. He’s ranked 90-180 I’ve been seeing, and being taken around the 10-15th goalie... I don’t get it.
Playing in Vancouver, he isn't seen much by anyone east of Alberta
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #733
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also, I think the expectation around the league is that Markstrom isn’t the guaranteed 1A starter.

For fantasy goalies, a starter on a bad team is usually better than a 1a/1b on a good team.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #734
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Hmm I don't think so.

The Flames scored 7 goals on Markstrom last year:
I'm on video in like 4 of those goals! That was a great game to sit behind Markstrom in Vancouver, just before Covid really hit.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #735
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Also, I think the expectation around the league is that Markstrom isn’t the guaranteed 1A starter.

For fantasy goalies, a starter on a bad team is usually better than a 1a/1b on a good team.
The only people who believe Markstrom isn’t the bonfire #1 are Rittich fans in Calgary.

I’m not changing my ‘bonafide’ autocorrect because it’s fitting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 11:20 AM   #736
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The only people who believe Markstrom isn’t the bonfire #1 are Rittich fans in Calgary.

I’m not changing my ‘bonafide’ autocorrect because it’s fitting.
Well markstrom is easily my bonfire #1.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #737
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

Markstrom carried the Canucks on his back last year. Every Nuck fan knows this, even if they are now reticent to admit it.

I don't think anyone would ever deny this.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #738
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
"Bad goal" in this sense simply meaning bad shots that the goalie has a clear view of. I'm sure there's still a few that would make fans groan
Bad goals are the kind that, when they get scored on you playing goalie in NHL 20, you go "What the hell? I was at the top of my crease, square to the shooter.... just goes through me? Thanks. #### this stupid ####ing broken ass game"
Old 01-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #739
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Bad goals are the kind that, when they get scored on you playing goalie in NHL 20, you go "What the hell? I was at the top of my crease, square to the shooter.... just goes through me? Thanks. #### this stupid ####ing broken ass game"
It’s called Elliot’ing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #740
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Playing in Vancouver, he isn't seen much by anyone east of Alberta
I’ve been taking advantage of this for years, but it’s hard to keep up with several years into actually living here. I get it now, it’s real.