Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #5601
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
C’mon man, he had 61 two years ago.....

When he was 20.
Exactly, when he was playing with Panarin...
Also, do any stats actually substantiate the two way play comments.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #5602
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Exactly, when he was playing with Panarin...
Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Lindholm are probably better offensively than the Bjorkstrand, Texier, and Atkinson. And Panarin has played better in NY than he did in Columbus.

I think Dubois can get 80 points. And unlike Monahan, he will be able to do it while being mean and by driving play.
I just doubt he ever hits the 100 point plateau. But not many do. If Dubois already had an 80 point season under his belt, he'd likely be too expensive to acquire at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #5603
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When he was 20.
Monahan had 62pts when he was 20 and over 30 goals which PLD hadn’t hit. As you are aware ToFan tried to minimize Monahans offensive ability because he plays with Gaudreau. It is only fair to say that PLD equally benefited by playing with a player who has proven to be even more dynamic and offensive than Gaudreau.

If PLD came to Calgary and was paired with Gaudreau I think he would do just as good and maybe a little better than Monahan?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 07:55 PM   #5604
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

When he was 20.
Right. So don't get me wrong. Love Dubois. Would be a massive addition to the Flames. Probable that his ceiling is higher than what he has shown so far. I would still hesitate to trade Monahan for him mainly because adding Dubois and subtracting Monahan is a marginal offensive downgrade, with a 2-way upgrade. Basically I'm saying that the net effect wouldn't be enough for a team looking to get to the top.
Frankly I'd be more inclined to do Anderson or Valimaki or Hanifin + as the team would be dealing from a position of depth and the result would be a team with Dubois AND Monahan on the roster. There's a contender IMO.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #5605
pokerNhockey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I think if you took a 22 year old Monahan and put him beside Dubois today you would have very similar value. Where you run into the difference is that Monahan has developed further, and doesn't seem to have developed into an allstar Centre. Dubois still can, but he also could be that rare player who plateaued super early.

You do have to pay for that potential - which is where I think the Monahan + 1st probably makes a lot of sense. But you should not buy as if it is a certainty either - most top players don't take that step, such as Monahan. I think the morning show proposals only make sense if you think it is a near lock.

Assuming the Flames offer Monahan plus a 1st, I don't see a lot of other teams matching it with that type of trade. It comes down to whether the Jackets are looking to "today" or want to buy potential themselves. They might get someone who has more upside, but who carries more development risk, quantity vs quality, etc. Similar to how the Hall trade didn't happen because the NJD prefered a deal centered more around futures then the Flames offer.

Also worth noting: Colorado got what was expected to be a mid to late 1st round pick (which turned into the 4th overall) and a really good defensive prospect who had 5 NHL games to his name. Its a different trade after Ottawa collapsed.

Last edited by pokerNhockey; 01-12-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:10 PM   #5606
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The argument above was that Mony plays with Gaudreau...
Monahan scored over 80-points with Gaudreau. Is Gaudreau as good as Panarin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 01-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #5607
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Well, is Mony a ppg player, or a 65 pt C? Looks more like the latter...
I think that is very much up for debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 01-12-2021, 08:16 PM   #5608
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
PLD put up those 61pts with Panarin on his wing. He hasn’t hit 50 without him.
well okay, PLD has had one season with an elite winger. Monahan has had his entire career aside from one season with an elite winger....

Regardless, all things being equal if the Flames were to trade PLD for Monahan, I would bet PLD's numbers would climb while Monahan's would slide.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #5609
TheSkinner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Monahan had 62pts when he was 20 and over 30 goals which PLD hadn’t hit. As you are aware ToFan tried to minimize Monahans offensive ability because he plays with Gaudreau. It is only fair to say that PLD equally benefited by playing with a player who has proven to be even more dynamic and offensive than Gaudreau.

If PLD came to Calgary and was paired with Gaudreau I think he would do just as good and maybe a little better than Monahan?
Interestingly in Monahan’s 20 year old season he also finished 20th in Selke voting getting 19 total votes... 2 less overall votes than Crosby. More votes than fellow draftee Barkov, more than a 22 year old Sean Couturier and more than a 22 yo Mark Stone. I think that was the same year that Darryl Sutter, while still coaching the Kings, made comments along the lines that Monahan was becoming one of the top centres in the Pacific division. Obviously, his overall game just never developed along that path.

Just goes to show that its tough to project these young players I guess.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSkinner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:52 PM   #5610
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are we comparing Mony’s and PLD’s point totals? MacKinnon had 52pts in his 4th year in the league, and his career high was 63. You can’t necessarily look back on past numbers to predict a player’s exact future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #5611
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think that is very much up for debate.
He’s had one season of 82pts, the rest of his time in the league has been 62pts and under. His numbers go as Johnny goes.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:57 PM   #5612
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Monahan scored over 80-points with Gaudreau. Is Gaudreau as good as Panarin?
Nobody said Johnny is as good as Panarin, but both are elite offensive players.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:57 PM   #5613
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahans a sniper, Gaudreau wouldn’t have had the point totals either without him. It works both ways.

Monahan is what he is, PLD has potential to be a more complete player. That’s what the + to the trade would be.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #5614
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Monahans a sniper, Gaudreau wouldn’t have had the point totals either without him. It works both ways.

Monahan is what he is, PLD has potential to be a more complete player. That’s what the + to the trade would be.
The plus also could be the 1.4 mil in cap savings and an rfa at the end of his current contract. Imo you can't ignore that. Flames flip Monahan for Dubois it gives them options next off season again. A top 10 protected first might be worth it.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #5615
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
The plus also could be the 1.4 mil in cap savings and an rfa at the end of his current contract. Imo you can't ignore that. Flames flip Monahan for Dubois it gives them options next off season again. A top 10 protected first might be worth it.
Plus there’s the age factor.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #5616
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Monahan, but I do like PLD's age and RFA status after the 2 years are up. In 3 years we are looking at Monahan getting a raise. Maybe not by much (I am thinking around 8mish for his next contract), but I would much rather prefer having PLD if the opportunity arose. Plus, we do not know if Monahan wants to stay here or not. I know many are going to say he most likely will but I am pretty sure Isles fans thought the same thing with Tavares.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #5617
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Well the Lightning don't need to make a move now

Whew!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1349166201373663232
Old 01-12-2021, 09:48 PM   #5618
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I like Monahan, but I do like PLD's age and RFA status after the 2 years are up. In 3 years we are looking at Monahan getting a raise. Maybe not by much (I am thinking around 8mish for his next contract), but I would much rather prefer having PLD if the opportunity arose. Plus, we do not know if Monahan wants to stay here or not. I know many are going to say he most likely will but I am pretty sure Isles fans thought the same thing with Tavares.
Of all the players on the Flames. I feel Monahan is most married to this organization. He has been groomed since day #1 to be the next in line after Gio. This of course is my opinion and not based on anything but observation.

Can things change ? Obviously. Organizational failure can do that.

But of all the hockey player jargon ever being spoken about staying with the team. I believe Monny the most. He seems genuinely pissed most times the question even comes up.

Like Backlund and Gio, I think he bleeds Flames colors for life.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #5619
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Of all the players on the Flames. I feel Monahan is most married to this organization. He has been groomed since day #1 to be the next in line after Gio. This of course is my opinion and not based on anything but observation.

Can things change ? Obviously. Organizational failure can do that.

But of all the hockey player jargon ever being spoken about staying with the team. I believe Monny the most. He seems genuinely pissed most times the question even comes up.

Like Backlund and Gio, I think he bleeds Flames colors for life.
Despite my comments you are exactly right. I DO genuinely like Mony.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #5620
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What is up with Yandle?

https://www.tsn.ca/veteran-defencema...hers-1.1576644

"Yandle has fallen out of favour with the Florida Panthers," Seravalli said Tuesday on Insider Trading. "They’ve let it be known to him that he does not factor into their plans for this season. And I think in a perfect world for the Panthers, they would send Yandle to the taxi squad. But in this case, he holds the hammer with a full no-move clause and cannot be put on waivers without his permission.
Closed Thread