Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #221
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I concur. Your aim must have been awful, because remarkably, you're still shooting yourself in the foot.

The Flames have the fourth-highest shot attempt rate in the NHL over the past three seasons (61.13 shot attempts / 60 minutes)

If they hypothetically have a skew towards more giveaways than other teams... this is because they simply have the puck more often.

Giveaways are not a stat with any value whatsoever. Not for forwards, nor for defensemen.
TIL turnovers have no value

Now talk about terrible takes.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #222
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

wasn't Toffoli a line mate of Monahan?

definitely would look at that signing over Hall, due to the cap savings and uncertainty with Hall if he opts for a 1 year deal structure
Old 10-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #223
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
20 forwards have played over 1000 minutes for the Flames over the last three seasons - here is Bennett's rank at 5v5

Goals per 60: 0.68 (T-8th)
Assists per 60: 0.71 (15th)
Primary Assists per 60: 0.5 (T-10th)
Points per 60: 1.39 (12th)

Shots / 60: 7.82 (7th)
ixG/60: 0.8 (2nd)
iHDCF/60: 4.29 (5th)
Rebounds Created Per 60: 1.07 (1st)
Rush Attempts/60: 0.53 (6th)

Minor / 60: 1.26 (1st)
Penalties Drawn/60: 0.93 (7th)

Giveaways/60: 1.94 (9th - Tkachuk & Johnny are 1st...tends to happend when you have the puck)
Takeaways/60: 2.25 (8th)
Hits/60: 8.6 (6th)

CF/60: 62.4 (6TH)
CA/60: 57.2 (15th)
CF%: 52.2% (10th)

xGF/60: 2.54 (5th)
xGA/60: 2.28 (15th)
xGF%: 52.6 (8th)

On ice shooting %: 6.45 (14th)
On ice save percentage: .921 (9th)
PDO: .985 (15th)

Bennett is a guy that's had bottom 6 production, but has generated much higher volume of shots/chances/rebounds than his production and has some bad luck from a percentages perspective. Biggest negative against his game is he's taken too many minor penalties.

Really his role for next season is exactly what it should be - third line forward with the potential to be more if he can keep up his play at C with more talented linemates.

Gaudreau & Tkachuk are the proxy for the top two lines on this team. Here's Bennett's WoWY for those guys over the last three seasons.

Bennett+ Tkachuk:

312 Minutes
53.4% Corsi For
52.0% Expected Goals For
52.6% Expected Goals For

PDO: .989 (8.38 Shooting %, .905 sv percentage)
15 GF, 14 GA

Gaudreau+Bennett

238 Minutes
53.3% Corsi For
44.2 HDCF%
46.4 Expected Goals For

.958 PDO (4.96% Shooting, .908 SV)
6 GF, 11 GA

Bennett with Neither

1826 Minutes
51.9 xGF
56.7 HDCF%
53.7 xGF%

.987 PDO (6.3% Shooting, .924% Sv)
59 Goals For, 72 Goals Against

So Bennett was played outside of the top 6 because really he's actually been able to drive his own line to positive results without playing in our top 6 (w/o Tkachuk or Gaudreau). Problem is his line hasn't been able to finish their chances with a 6.3% on ice shooting percentage.

And make no mistake Bennett is the one driving the strong play on that line.

Bennett without Jankowski, Tkachuk, or Gaudreau

CF% 52.1%
HDCF: 55.4%
xGF%: 53.1

28 GF, 31 GA

Jankowski without Bennett, Gaudreau, Tkachuk

CF%: 49.4%
HDCF%: 46.3%
xGF%: 49.9%

GF: 24, GA: 38

Bennett's advanced numbers are pretty consistent with whoever he plays with and they are generally strong, but Jankowski was just lost away from Bennett. Giving Bennett time with consistent linemates not named Mark Jankowski will be the biggest thing in him potentially taking a step forward.
Comparing Jankowski and Bennett's with/without is pretty damn useless. Most of their time apart since Jankowski made the NHL saw Bennett move into the top 6 to play with Backlund, the other would stay in the bottom 6 and play with whomever replaced Bennett. It's a forgone conclusion that Bennett's with/without compared to Jankowski would favor him significantly without looking at a single number.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #224
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
TIL turnovers have no value

Now talk about terrible takes.
He's talking about the metric simply as it's measured and the only way we can use to evaluate it.

Look around the league. Look at the players at the top of each team's giveaway chart. It is almost unanimously always the teams best forward, the player that usually carries the puck into the zone.

It has no value to look at giveaways and assign players worth in any way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #225
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
wasn't Toffoli a line mate of Monahan?

definitely would look at that signing over Hall, due to the cap savings and uncertainty with Hall if he opts for a 1 year deal structure
I believe they were for a year, teammates at the very least.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #226
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t mind flames being interested in Toffoli, if we are unable to get Hall.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #227
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm starting to get the impression that Tre is 'in on everything' to raise the prices for everyone else in the league, and anytime a player comes to Calgary it's an accidental 'win' of a trade war that Tre started. It would explain UFA.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #228
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Rick Dhaliwal @DhaliwalSports
Looks like Toffoli going to the market because VAN can’t clear the space
Toffoli: You can't pay me $5.5M per year? Fine, I'll go sign with your competitors!

Also Toffoli: Hello, Mr. Treliving? Let's stick it to Benning. I'll sign with you for $3M per year!

Sigh, why don't things ever work out like I would love to see them do?
Old 10-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #229
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I wouldn’t mind flames being interested in Toffoli, if we are unable to get Hall.
Quite a drop off. We’re talking about a third liner in Toffoli (sometimes a glorified second liner) vs a bonafide star. I really hope overpaying for a guy like Toffoli isn’t in BT’s cards.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #230
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Kings says thanks for the second-round pick and forward prospect Tyler Madden.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #231
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I have a feeling these things are connected. With Toffoli out, my bet is they acquire OEL and do so for less retained than Blaster is hoping for.
This OEL bull#### is causing the exact #### I was worried about. Instead of focusing on the in-house ####, we've been occupied trying to get a "#1 d-man" when WE ALREADY HAVE A NUMBER 1 DMAN Who is BETTER than the guy we're trying to acquire and plays the SAME ####ING SIDE. So now we can't re-up Toffoli right away which means a team has a chance to lob a 6/7 million deal his way which we won't be able too (and shouldn't even if we could) match.

I get the appeal having both OEL and Hughes. It essentially means that for 40+ minutes a night one of them is on the ice, and I get that the way this shakes out means we would get him for pennies on the dollar but it's just taking too long. We're getting honey dicked by Arizona who has to move him but seem to think they have any leverage in this negotiation. Boston has apparently said their best offer is on the table (and Friedman says it's been this way for a while) because they realize the Coyotes are trying to make a trade from a position of no strength and expecting a life line. The Canucks needed to do the same thing a week ago. Then Arizona has to decide who they'd rather lose a trade too last week. Apparently the Canucks have now done this, but it's too late. We're 3 days from free agency and stuck waiting to find out a day before UFA where we are.

If this trade goes through, and it doesn't matter to which team, you are seeing Arizona eat a lot of cap, but not real dollars which they need, that's the life line the teams are giving them. But they're not getting a "Ryan O'Reilly" deal. They're getting a Kesler deal. They're getting a Joe Thornton deal. They're getting absolutely ####ing shafted, but they get the financial noose they put around their neck removed. Had the Canucks just joined the Bruins in saying "This is it, say yes or no but you have until the 2nd to decide," this would be over and done with. Yeah, he'd likely be a Bruin but that doesn't matter because he's out of the conference and the team can get on with its damn business.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #232
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Golden Knights have reportedly offered a second-round pick for a team to take just half of Fleury’s salary, but teams, including the Hurricanes, are asking for a first and a second. Moving Fleury is the top priority right now
https://twitter.com/J15Emerson/statu...39596311883777
Old 10-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #233
Dx54
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
This OEL bull#### is causing the exact #### I was worried about. Instead of focusing on the in-house ####, we've been occupied trying to get a "#1 d-man" when WE ALREADY HAVE A NUMBER 1 DMAN Who is BETTER than the guy we're trying to acquire and plays the SAME ####ING SIDE. So now we can't re-up Toffoli right away which means a team has a chance to lob a 6/7 million deal his way which we won't be able too (and shouldn't even if we could) match.

I get the appeal having both OEL and Hughes. It essentially means that for 40+ minutes a night one of them is on the ice, and I get that the way this shakes out means we would get him for pennies on the dollar but it's just taking too long. We're getting honey dicked by Arizona who has to move him but seem to think they have any leverage in this negotiation. Boston has apparently said their best offer is on the table (and Friedman says it's been this way for a while) because they realize the Coyotes are trying to make a trade from a position of no strength and expecting a life line. The Canucks needed to do the same thing a week ago. Then Arizona has to decide who they'd rather lose a trade too last week. Apparently the Canucks have now done this, but it's too late. We're 3 days from free agency and stuck waiting to find out a day before UFA where we are.

If this trade goes through, and it doesn't matter to which team, you are seeing Arizona eat a lot of cap, but not real dollars which they need, that's the life line the teams are giving them. But they're not getting a "Ryan O'Reilly" deal. They're getting a Kesler deal. They're getting a Joe Thornton deal. They're getting absolutely ####ing shafted, but they get the financial noose they put around their neck removed. Had the Canucks just joined the Bruins in saying "This is it, say yes or no but you have until the 2nd to decide," this would be over and done with. Yeah, he'd likely be a Bruin but that doesn't matter because he's out of the conference and the team can get on with its damn business.
I'm assuming you're a Canucks fan? Ya, I don't empathize with you.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #234
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Toffoli: You can't pay me $5.5M per year? Fine, I'll go sign with your competitors!

Also Toffoli: Hello, Mr. Treliving? Let's stick it to Benning. I'll sign with you for $3M per year!

Sigh, why don't things ever work out like I would love to see them do?
IIRC when Hamilton was acquired the contract he signed was equal to or less than what people thought he was balking at in Boston.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #235
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
IIRC when Hamilton was acquired the contract he signed was equal to or less than what people thought he was balking at in Boston.
Yeah, that sounds familiar. If it was less, it certainly wasn't by very much though.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #236
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dx54 View Post
I'm assuming you're a Canucks fan? Ya, I don't empathize with you.
I care so not at all. Your name is a random arrangement of letters and numbers. 50/50 You're a russian bot..

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #237
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
How are teams not jumping at this? 2 years of Fleury at $3.5 mill, AND a 2nd round pick?

Are GMs just done doing Vegas favors after the expansion draft?
Old 10-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #238
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
How are teams not jumping at this? 2 years of Fleury at $3.5 mill, AND a 2nd round pick?

Flat cap for two years. 3.5 million is bigger than it used to be, especially when there are better goalies available.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #239
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Tre ...
Old 10-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #240
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post

No, that's Vegas asking a third team to retain 50% of Fleury's contract as an intermediary to broker a deal with someone else - and they're offering that third team a 2nd round pick to retain that 50%, which is a bad deal for that third team (which is why no one has done it).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread