Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #1041
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
500k at minium. The question is whether they pro rate the games played bonus. I think he was sitting a game or two shy to make the 250k for 40 games. The 250k for 45 games is probably not a factor. His agent might be fighting for that 750k.

I would be more than happy if they signed him and brought him back, even at a reduced number, as it would signify another year spinning their tires.

Their cap is a mess that will take Holland some time to get corrected, time he probably doesn't have if the McDavid ultimatum is true.
Under the terms of the return to play agreement, all performance bonuses are prorated at a factor of 70/82. If the player earned the bonus without his stats being prorated, he gets 100% of the bonus. If the player earned the bonus with his stats being prorated, he gets 70/82nds of the bonus value.

According to CapFriendly, Smith's bonuses were set up to pay $125,000 at each of the following levels: 20, 25, 30, and 35 games played. He definitely earned all of those bonuses in full for $500,000.

Where it becomes complicated is what is considered a game played under his contract. In the CBA, for things like waiver eligibility and free agency, a goalie only gets credit for a game played if he was on the ice for a minimum of 30 minutes in the game. Smith played 39 games this year, but only reached the 30 minute threshold in 35 of them.

Without knowing the specifics of his contract, we'd only be guessing about how many games he will be given credit for. Also, we don't know if the one play-in game he played in will count towards his total or not.

Even if he only gets credit for 35 games played, that prorates (using the 70/82 factor) to 41, so he should get $213,414.63 (70/82nds of $250,000) for that.

If he gets credit for 39 games played, that prorates to 46, so he should get another $213,414.63 for that.

If the play-in game counts in his total, he would get the full $250,000 for 40 games played.

Depending on how each of those factors are accounted for, his total bonus payout (before escrow) should be between $713,414.63 and $963,414.63.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #1042
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

So according to capfriendly they finished the season with about 520k. So the Oilers should have cap overage that will shrink their cap by 200k-400k. Maybe a bit more if Yamamoto hit any of his bonuses.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #1043
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So according to capfriendly they finished the season with about 520k. So the Oilers should have cap overage that will shrink their cap by 200k-400k. Maybe a bit more if Yamamoto hit any of his bonuses.
Yamamoto didn't hit any of the minimum thresholds for any of the ELC performance bonuses (even with prorating), so he will not get any bonuses.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #1044
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Baghdad Bob is back, better than ever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 11:44 AM   #1045
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Live shot of Ken Holland on Free Agency Day.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #1046
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Leon Draisatl upon learning he's been traded..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #1047
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yamamoto didn't hit any of the minimum thresholds for any of the ELC performance bonuses (even with prorating), so he will not get any bonuses.
But I heard the DRY line was the bestest line in the while world! With 27 games I thought it would be doubtful. He was 6th in scoring on that team (only forwards). Looking at schedule A he wasn't close to playing the minimum game threshold to get the points per game and +/- bonus.

Can't believe he lead the team with +17. Only other regular forward with a plus was RNH at +1, so he would have had that in the bag if he could get to 41 games.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #1048
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
yikes, I suppose in a 'if Kevin Lowe can make it why not player X' kind of way

but ignoring Lowe (or acknowledging that if he wants to get in through the Lowe route- he is going to need 6 cups)

the other recent HOF dmen are Wilson, Zubov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Blake, Chelios and Niedermayer

on first pass does Nurse slot in there somewhere? I don't see it

Nurse just finished his 24 year old season and we don't see any all-star, calder , norris votes or cups from him- something all of the other guys have by that age (I suppose an EDM writer may still throw a vote this way for him this year, can't rule out that lunacy). a few of the above named were late starters (europe or college-Zubov, Lidstrom, Chelios) but other than maybe Blake most of these guys were already garnering multiple awards, or award finalists, or all star votes, and in many cases cups by 24. it is true that for many of them their runs of solid greatness (year after year of all stars etc) usually started around 24-25. so big year coming up for Nurse
Old 08-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #1049
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Oiler fans have been ripping Nurse as one of the biggest disappointments on the roster during the play in series.
It seems a lot of Oilers fans realize Nurse is a mess in his own end. There's a poll at HF asking which player should be traded; Nurse or Klefbom and it's heavily in favor of moving Nurse. I don't understand why Edmonton media continues to pump the guy's tires when it's pretty evident he's never going to be an elite defenseman.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #1050
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It seems a lot of Oilers fans realize Nurse is a mess in his own end. There's a poll at HF asking which player should be traded; Nurse or Klefbom and it's heavily in favor of moving Nurse. I don't understand why Edmonton media continues to pump the guy's tires when it's pretty evident he's never going to be an elite defenseman.
He could be elite if he actually had a great mentor who is elite, like say if he played with Giordano for a few seasons. I think he could be, but he never will become a great defenseman if he stays in Edmonton. Knowing that team, they won't trade him. They will hold on too long and ruin him and he won't be worth much.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #1051
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing is in moderation up there. They can't say he will develop into a solid defenceman. Or even a star defenceman. Nope, he has to be a Hall of Famer because Lowe's a Hall of Famer and that's the Oiler way.

Meanwhile, their fans lap it up until the player falls short, and then it's on to the next player they have to overhype in order to sell hope of a better tomorrow. It's been a tried and true recipe for over a decade.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #1052
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 08-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #1053
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They think that media articles improve a player's trade value because they've never heard of or seen scouting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #1054
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Staufer is the true definition of a pom-pom waver. He comes across as unbalanced and bordering on insane at times. This is just another example.

Between him and Staples its truly a fascinating thing to watch.

I don't get it myself. I guess being a sycophant for your hometown hockey team pays off in Edmonton....really no other explanation for "professionals" to be so blatantly obnoxious with their "opinions".
We've got one I'm Calgary too...Darren Hayes. The morning show guys have commented on it before, how he loves the flames more than anything. Hayes seems like a nice guy, but having that kind of home town bias is so small town. As a flames fan all I can do is read his stuff and roll my eyes, since he's so overly optimistic and pro whatever the flames do. His saving grace is that he's not an overconfident #######. Moving north, the oilers just happen to have purged any media that speak ill of them by threatening to remove access to the team, so all they have left are insular fan boys from the area. They are also brimming with confidence. Jason Strudwick is ok and Rob Brown on CHED has a tough job, all the rest sold their soul.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #1055
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
We've got one I'm Calgary too...Darren Hayes. The morning show guys have commented on it before, how he loves the flames more than anything. Hayes seems like a nice guy, but having that kind of home town bias is so small town. As a flames fan all I can do is read his stuff and roll my eyes, since he's so overly optimistic and pro whatever the flames do. His saving grace is that he's not an overconfident #######. Moving north, the oilers just happen to have purged any media that speak ill of them by threatening to remove access to the team, so all they have left are insular fan boys from the area. They are also brimming with confidence. Jason Strudwick is ok and Rob Brown on CHED has a tough job, all the rest sold their soul.
Haynes is nothing like Stauffer or Staples. Nothing.
Haynes may be pro-Flames and positive, but he is not a lapdog, "Nurse is a hall of famer" like Stauffer.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #1056
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Connor Mcdavid has already served 5 years to the oilers, only 6 more before he leaves in free agency. Nearly half his time there! Heres to hoping they squander his remaining 6 seasons aswell!
Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #1057
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid and Eichel....10 seasons combined in the NHL and one playoff appearance between the two of them.

Well done Edmonton and Edmonton east.

Those piece of crap franchises should be ashamed of themselves.

What a waste.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #1058
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Has Nurse even accomplished as much as the two guys drafted before him?

I don't think any Flames fan would even mention Lindholm and Monahan in the same breath as Hall of Fame or even all star.

Those guys just can't help themselves. It's just so sad to be an Edmontonian. All you have is your hockey team and you are forced to paint them as the greatest thing in the world.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #1059
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can just see Bear starting to swirl at the top of the bowl. A young player shows some glimpses of progression, and they get unrealistic expectations immediately.

Hopefully he gets out before it is too late.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #1060
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Has Nurse even accomplished as much as the two guys drafted before him?

I don't think any Flames fan would even mention Lindholm and Monahan in the same breath as Hall of Fame or even all star.

Those guys just can't help themselves. It's just so sad to be an Edmontonian. All you have is your hockey team and you are forced to paint them as the greatest thing in the world.
Uh, excuse me! You seem to be forgetting about the world-class river valley and the Rockies on their doorstep!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread