Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #81
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Tbh I've been thinking lately of how cool it will be when the new arena is done and the BMO expansion/hotel is complete. Calgary will be a prime destination for All-Star Games, the Draft, and other NHL events.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #82
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Now that Edmonton has more active COVID cases than Calgary, we should swoop in with a last-minute bid and take it from them. At least, the players could actually see the mountains from Calgary.
It's a shame that from a facilities perspective the Saddledome is a hot dog turd. Otherwise Calgary makes way more sense.

I think it will be vancouver, Edmonton is going the wrong way statistic wise and the place is a known dump. On the other hand the NHL might like that as the players will have way less reason to break quarantine up here lol.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #83
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if that's just a snippet of the dvd!
Old 06-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #84
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's pretty funny. A minute long video to promote Edmonton that features one 3 second long shot of Edmonton.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1275133805880197120
I call that smart as you want to sell them on the idea based on the beauty of the province rather than the cold, hard reality of the players being stuck in Edmonton for an undetermined amount of time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #85
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why is 95% of the video mountains and other nice things? People in Edmonton may as well be on the moon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #86
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone knows, the best thing about Edmonton is how close it is to places that aren't Edmonton.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #87
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've always said that he's an exceptional player when he has McDavid, but an average player that can't really drive his own line and is a give away machine without McDavid.

Is he really earning his contract? That to me is debatable.
Is he earning his contract? Seriously, that is the question you are asking yourself. The guy is running away with the scoring lead and is the 25th highest contract in the league. Does the guy benefit from playing with McDavid, of course he does. McDavid is an elite talent of the comparable to Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin, anyone would benefit from playing with them. That said I think that McDavid also benefits from playing with Draisaitl as well.

A big, strong, durable center who has scored over 100 points in the past two years (including a 50 goal season), is an incredibly rare commodity in the NHL and the fact that he is signed for 5 more years at the same rate just increases his value.

In terms of elite NHL players, his contract is a bargain, with the only better contracts I can think of being MacKinnon and Pastrnak.

The team around McDavid and Draisaitl sucks, but that isn't their fault. The fact is that they have a mediocre overly expensive defense, a weak middle six and two iffy goaltenders, all while spending over 6 million a year on buyouts, retained salary, and buried contracts- a large portion of which will be carried over for years to come. Good NHL clubs don't waste that much money on players who don't play for them. This is a team that has tried for crappy quick fixes for the better part of a decade in order to mask the fact that their drafting sucks, their development sucks, and their city sucks (in comparison to other NHL cities) so that players don't want to come play or stay here. No one is going to choose Edmonton (or most other Canadian markets) over playing in New York, Florida, or California... that is why good management is essential and the Oilers have lacked that for a very long time.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #88
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now that Edmonton has more active COVID cases than Calgary, we should swoop in with a last-minute bid and take it from them. At least, the players could actually see the mountains from Calgary.
Would that be the Versteeg Maneuver part deux?
Old 06-22-2020, 04:16 PM   #90
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lmao those "play in the rockies" destinations featured are 5-6 hours from edmonton.

You won't find a mountain in sight where your staying, just their sludge colored river!

Calgary is the only major city that has legitimate claim in this province to use the rockies to its appeal. 45 minutes to canmore, 1 hour to banff, 1.5 to the shore of Lake Louise.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-22-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #91
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that would have made the video better would have been if it had included some nice city skyline shots and other urban locations but they were all obviously from Calgary.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #92
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll just leave this amateur attempt by me from 2011 to help them sell the Oilers and Edmonton as a hub city.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #93
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lmao those "play in the rockies" destinations featured are 5-6 hours from edmonton.

You won't find a mountain in sight where your staying, just their sludge colored river!

Calgary is the only major city that has legitimate claim in this province to use the rockies to its appeal. 45 minutes to canmore, 1 hour to banff, 1.5 to the shore of Lake Louise.
Pet peeve...Calgarians shaving 15mins off the Canmore commute time, 25mins off the Banff time and 25mins off the Lake Louise commute time. Or they live off Stoney in the west of the city.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #94
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1275161542116474882

That Jason Kenney is full of $%&# man.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:52 PM   #95
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ummm did they just take an Alberta tourism add and put some text about Edmonton at the start?

Just be honest about the benefits of hosting in Edmonton. The lack of any enjoyment in that frozen soviet style sweatpants infested hell hole should keep all the players safely contained in a Covid free bubble.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #96
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Pet peeve...Calgarians shaving 15mins off the Canmore commute time, 25mins off the Banff time and 25mins off the Lake Louise commute time. Or they live off Stoney in the west of the city.
Yeah those times are from the Gas Station on highway 1.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:58 PM   #97
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Ummm did they just take an Alberta tourism add and put some text about Edmonton at the start?
Why, yes. That is precisely what they did.

The responses to Kenney's tweet are a gold mine. Pure gold.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #98
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Yes, that's exactly what they did.

The most-telling thing is that the run time is 1:04 and the opening shot of Edmonton is 4 seconds. They took a 60 second ad and just slapped the 4 seconds of Edmonton on the beginning.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #99
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most striking thing is the "play in the Rockies" text which clearly is from a tourism add but in the context of this add makes it seem like the NHLers will be playing in the Rockies.

Also, what's the deal with Matt Wolf? I don't know much about him other than I guess he works for Kenney. I saw he's been tweeting in response to Kenney's original tweet trying to justify the ad saying how it is directed at player's families and the Oilers will be paying to tour them around Alberta. Firstly, they are definitely stretching to try and justify how this ad makes sense at all. Secondly it just proves what a dump Edmonton is that their main argument to attract the players is that they don't actually have to stay in Edmonton.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #100
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post

Back when I was much younger and I had my Mustang, I made it to Banff in just under 45 minutes.
Closed Thread