Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2021, 10:13 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Flames 4 Jets 3 (SO)

Game Takes: Flames 4 Jets 3 (SO)

- Gaudreau continues his streak
- Gaudreau and Monahan stone cold in the shoot out
- Markstrom solid
- Fortress pairing continues to blank opposition
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:24 PM   #2
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Plett’s goal in the playoffs. It was a slapper that beat the goalie clean IIRC. Long time ago and I was just a kid but that’s how I remember it.

With all the familiarity this weird season will bring, maybe we see a greater correlation between regular season and playoff performance for players like Gaudreau and Monahan.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only time Nordstrom and Ryan spent time in the D zone was during the Jets powerplays.

Other than that they hemmed the Jets in their zone at 5 on 5. No great scoring chances but it gave Marky a rest every time they were on the ice.

Glad to see that the fancy stats reflect what I saw.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hockey Stat Card has total domination by the Flames.

Tanev, Hanifin, Lindhom, Valimaki and Mangiapane had break out games (1.5x their average game score)

They basically have the Jets playing their worst game of the season... pretty much by any team. The only 3 Jets that had an fine (Okay) game was Schiefele, Pionk and Hellebuyck.

Markstrom had a bad game and Gio was the worst of the Flames skaters squeaking out the low end of a "fine" game..
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson and Gio do seem to be fighting the puck right now. Missed passes and turnover. Glad the 5 on 5 play has improved.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Hanifin and Andersson so far this season, they are great reminders that, who you play with (and the situations you are put in), matters.

Hanifin with Hamonic -awful, and many people wanted to get rid of him
Hanifin with Andersson - substantially better, but people gave Andersson all the credit
Hanifin with Tanev - fantastic, and people initially blamed Tanev, though there appears to be growing praise/realization that Hanifin is playing really well in his own right

Meanwhile, Andersson has struggled a bit, playing with Gio and getting the tough minutes. Not terrible, but it is a tougher role.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #7
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Watching Hanifin and Andersson so far this season, they are great reminders that, who you play with (and the situations you are put in), matters.

Hanifin with Andersson - substantially better, but people gave Andersson all the credit
Hanifin with Tanev - fantastic, and people initially blamed Tanev, though there appears to be growing praise/realization that Hanifin is playing really well in his own right

Meanwhile, Andersson has struggled a bit, playing with Gio and getting the tough minutes. Not terrible, but it is a tougher role.
It's almost impossible to decide who the culprit is.

In 99 minutes together they have an xGF% of 38%. That's terrible. Apart (limited time they are both bad as well).

Visually you see mistakes from both of them ... honestly can't believe they both left the zone in Montreal before the puck went out.

Only a matter of time before they have to switch it up ... which logically would be Valimaki with Andersson since they're not going to break Hanifin and Tanev up.

Then try both new pairings with reduced minutes and see how the team rolls ... Ward is using all three pairings so it's not like Giordano gets Dalton Prout and 8 minutes a night.

But as a pair I'm not so sure how long you can walk them out. They've only been above water twice in eight games, and they have three games in the 20%s.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #8
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It's almost impossible to decide who the culprit is.

In 99 minutes together they have an xGF% of 38%. That's terrible. Apart (limited time they are both bad as well).

Visually you see mistakes from both of them ... honestly can't believe they both left the zone in Montreal before the puck went out.

Only a matter of time before they have to switch it up ... which logically would be Valimaki with Andersson since they're not going to break Hanifin and Tanev up.

Then try both new pairings with reduced minutes and see how the team rolls ... Ward is using all three pairings so it's not like Giordano gets Dalton Prout and 8 minutes a night.

But as a pair I'm not so sure how long you can walk them out. They've only been above water twice in eight games, and they have three games in the 20%s.
I am a patient fan, and feel that you need to see some games, with different opponents, before making changes. But yeah, 8 games in, and there are still no real signs of improvement. It is becoming a concern.

Not sure the best way to go though, if changes are in fact needed. I think the best solution is Gio-Tanev, and Hanifin-Andersson. But, as you say, you can't break up Tanifin right now - they are crazy-good.

So that leaves Gio-Nesterov (which worries me) and Valimaki-Andersson. And I am not sure that Andersson is ready to carry a rookie yet (with top 4 responsibilities).
Old 02-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #9
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I guess I am saying that you keep running Gio-Andersson and hope that they raise their games (and I am confident that they will).
Old 02-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
So I guess I am saying that you keep running Gio-Andersson and hope that they raise their games (and I am confident that they will).
The Flames are entering a "softer" part of their schedule right now, after four straight games v. the top two teams in the Division. Three of their next four are against Winnipeg, and the remaining seven games before the last week of February are against the Oilers and the Canucks. I think I would want to see how they play some of these other teams first before shuffling the pairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If breaking up Hanifin-Tanev is verboten, then the options are obviously limited. Gio- Nesterov really doesn’t sound like a good idea.

Is one “fortress” pairing and one underwater pairing better than two average pairs?

Or maybe the softer schedule is the time to experiment a little.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:22 PM   #12
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If breaking up Hanifin-Tanev is verboten, then the options are obviously limited. Gio- Nesterov really doesn’t sound like a good idea.

Is one “fortress” pairing and one underwater pairing better than two average pairs?

Or maybe the softer schedule is the time to experiment a little.
Was hoping "fortress" would gain traction!
Old 02-02-2021, 01:32 PM   #13
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tanev is growing on me.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #14
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The lack of foot speed with the Gio/Andersson pairing worries me. McDavid (and Mackinnon) would feast on them.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote