Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #41
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, this one really stings. Absolute legend. No words to sum up how amazing and talented he was
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #42
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I encourage any casual listeners to really dedicate some time tonight, maybe go through a few albums or so. Rush as a whole, outside of the amazing instrumentation, went through several different periods.
The truly unique spirit of Peart is evident not only in his percussion, but the lyrical themes and motifs through that discography. Intensely deep and personal, profound, metaphorical or right to the point.

I was doing some reflecting today and had a bit of a meltdown. Whether it’s my views on life, or my go to drum beats, or lyrics that have helped me through intensely difficult times, Mr. Peart was instrumental in my development.
I know genius and heartbroken get thrown around an awful lot when artists leave us, but these terms really are an understatement for this man.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #43
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Are those miniaturized Order of Canada lapel pins that they are wearing?
Nice catch. Seems you have an eye for these things ...

It’s hard to tell for sure but that’s what they look like. I’d bet you’re right.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #44
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

So ya wanna play a Rush tab do ya?

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #45
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Been listening to the band pretty much all night and into this morning.

Absolutely gutted when a buddy called me yesterday with the news.

Rush was an integral part of my youth and never really went away into adulthood nor the approaching "old" age part of life.

I was fortunate enough to see them live over a dozen times in multiple cities/venues and in two different countries.

As has been noted, they are one of those groups who you either really "get" or really don't.

I was also fortunate enough when I was 18 to be invited to the Rocky Mountain Studios (somewhere in NE Calgary IIRC) as a winner of a contest and was among the first people anywhere to hear the debut of Moving Pictures. That night only confirmed what I was already aware of in that, Rush was a legendary band and Neil Peart was the best drummer to ever strike a skin.

RIP Neil and thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the joy and entertainment you have provided me over the course of a lifetime.

I have said for years now to people if you are feeling a bit down and want to smile....go to youtube and watch Rush Live in Rio doing YYZ as all 3 of them brought their A game that night.

Im going to take my own advice right now.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #46
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

He also worked harder than anyone else. He never left the venue after sound check, and his nightly warm-up was 45 minutes.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #47
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
He also worked harder than anyone else. He never left the venue after sound check, and his nightly warm-up was 45 minutes.
To that point, he completely dismantled and reinvented his grip in the 90s, after long cementing himself as a drum god. Which is very hard to do after years of reinforcement.
He constantly worked on improving himself, when he really had no need to other than personal goals.
Pretty bummed. He was one of my favorites and his quads on Tom Sawyer were the reason I investigated linear patterns as a youngling.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #48
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

watched an old interview on you tube. he sure came across as a genuinely nice, smart classy guy. while not a huge fan of Rush, i likely should have went to one of their shows as their musicianship was off the charts.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #49
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been watching Peart drum solos and listening to Rush since last night.

GOAT drummer.

Friend sent along this cool article about him:
Neil Peart Was an Exceptional Drummer, But His Legacy Can Be Summed Up In 4 Words @jeff_haden https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/neil-...n-4-words.html via @Inc
Old 01-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #50
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was always amazing how much sound Rush could make with just 3 guys on stage with the technology then. I guess it helps when you have one of the best drummers and bass players in rock music.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #51
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^ Lifeson is criminally underrated as well; few guitarists can pull off the range and effect he is able to command.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
^ Lifeson is criminally underrated as well; few guitarists can pull off the range and effect he is able to command.
Yeah as a guitarist he's one of the guys I watch the most and go "How in the hell did he do that?"

But he's not quite as flashy as the other two so gets nowhere near the recognition as the other two. All 3 are at the top of their field easily for me.

But on topic, if God played drums, he'd sound like Neil Peart. Drummers play to keep time with a metronome. Metronomes keep time with Neil Peart. Absolute beast. And he lived through so much. I'm going to have to read his book again.

Like he once wrote, "When I heard that he was gone, I felt a shadow cross my heart" this one really stings. His music means a lot to me

Last edited by btimbit; 01-11-2020 at 06:04 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #53
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
...After having spent most of the day riding his motorcycle through back country roads on the way to the venue. I recall in the documentary about their final tour his security lead which road with him complained that he was killing them because he planned 8 or 9 hr rides to the venue.

To be in half as good a shape as he was...

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #54
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Are those miniaturized Order of Canada lapel pins that they are wearing?
Yes, they were appointed Officers of the Order in 1996.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:38 AM   #55
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I'll admit that I don't know what his best work with Rush is.

But I really enjoy his version of the HNIC theme.

SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #56
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Great article by Steve Buffery of Post Media on Peart and the band.

https://torontosun.com/entertainment...peart-was-king

Farewell to the King.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #57
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did what is likely a very Canadian thing to do.
went online to see what high profile American musicians had to say about him.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #58
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 10:37 PM   #59
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Been listening to the band pretty much all night and into this morning.

Absolutely gutted when a buddy called me yesterday with the news.

Rush was an integral part of my youth and never really went away into adulthood nor the approaching "old" age part of life.

I was fortunate enough to see them live over a dozen times in multiple cities/venues and in two different countries.

As has been noted, they are one of those groups who you either really "get" or really don't.

I was also fortunate enough when I was 18 to be invited to the Rocky Mountain Studios (somewhere in NE Calgary IIRC) as a winner of a contest and was among the first people anywhere to hear the debut of Moving Pictures. That night only confirmed what I was already aware of in that, Rush was a legendary band and Neil Peart was the best drummer to ever strike a skin.

RIP Neil and thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the joy and entertainment you have provided me over the course of a lifetime.

I have said for years now to people if you are feeling a bit down and want to smile....go to youtube and watch Rush Live in Rio doing YYZ as all 3 of them brought their A game that night.

Im going to take my own advice right now.

Thanks for sharing. I wish I had seem them that much. You must have been able to experience so many of their albums as they first toured them live. And I can't imagine how cool it would have been to be in on an early listening of Moving Pictures. Amazing.

I'm listening to them again tonight and thought I'd share how I first came to know Rush. It was a summer out at the cabin in Invermere and I had made friends with some guys a few cabins down who were big music nuts. One of the guys, like me, was an aspiring drummer. I was much newer to drumming than him and so he had been in that listening to awesome drummers phase longer than I had. So we're heading into town to go grab some slurpees and he throws in a tape and says listen to this. The song was La Villa Strangiato and I remember just being dumbfounded by it. Of course as the song is playing he's piping in here and there pointing out Peart's amazing play throughout. I remember I asked if I could borrow the tape to record and am pretty sure I had it on repeats every day for the rest of the summer. I'm sure my folks loved that.

To this date, Hemispheres is still my favourite album due to that emotional connection of it being my first Rush album but thankfully I've enjoyed being a fan of Peart and them ever since.

Anyone else want to share how they first discovered Peart/Rush?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 11:07 PM   #60
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Thanks for sharing. I wish I had seem them that much. You must have been able to experience so many of their albums as they first toured them live. And I can't imagine how cool it would have been to be in on an early listening of Moving Pictures. Amazing.

I'm listening to them again tonight and thought I'd share how I first came to know Rush. It was a summer out at the cabin in Invermere and I had made friends with some guys a few cabins down who were big music nuts. One of the guys, like me, was an aspiring drummer. I was much newer to drumming than him and so he had been in that listening to awesome drummers phase longer than I had. So we're heading into town to go grab some slurpees and he throws in a tape and says listen to this. The song was La Villa Strangiato and I remember just being dumbfounded by it. Of course as the song is playing he's piping in here and there pointing out Peart's amazing play throughout. I remember I asked if I could borrow the tape to record and am pretty sure I had it on repeats every day for the rest of the summer. I'm sure my folks loved that.

To this date, Hemispheres is still my favourite album due to that emotional connection of it being my first Rush album but thankfully I've enjoyed being a fan of Peart and them ever since.

Anyone else want to share how they first discovered Peart/Rush?
For me it was hearing Subdivisions on the radio. I liked the song so I picked up the Signals CD. Then I picked up Moving Pictures, then I just became obsessed. La Villa is my favourite guitar work by Lifeson, that guitar cuts right into your soul. My favourite drum work by Peart is Red Sector A.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: