Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #41
puckbrain
Draft Pick

Default Process for public engagement for new Calgary arena set up

https://globalnews.ca/news/5861547/c...nt-sessions%2F

The public will have their say on the design of the new arena and what they want to see in the cultural and entertainment district in Calgary early in 2020.

Details of the public engagement were approved by Calgary city council’s events centre assessment committee on Thursday.

When the $550-million agreement between the city, Calgary Sports and Entertainment (owners of the Calgary Flames) and Calgary Stampede was announced in July, there was a lot of criticism over the lack of public consultation about the deal.

Quote:
“I don’t think there’s any illusion that you’ll ever get 100 per cent satisfaction from citizens,” Councillor Jeff Davison said on the engagement process that has been set up.

“I certainly hope that those who feel like that they didn’t have a say will have that say in terms of what this will look like and what this will do in terms of a city facility.”
The engagement will run over a 10-week period with online surveys and in-person and community events, but there won’t be the traditional town halls.

“Asking Calgarians, asking user groups when you’re coming down here, what do you want to do, what are some of the things you want to do as part of your day, celebrate being a Calgarian,” said Michael Brown, president of Calgary Municipal Land Corporation.

The information collected will be used as critical ingredients to drive the ultimate design of the project, Brown added.

CMLC will conduct the engagement starting in the first quarter of 2020.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Calgarians come down and say, ‘I want to experience a concert or a hockey game, but I also want the ability to go and get some good food. I want to be able to come down to the entertainment district and experience and utilize the building, but I may not be there for hockey,'” Brown said.

He said it’s just as important to get feedback on the proposed festival street and plaza around the new arena. Those areas are not part of the $550-million agreement but there is hope that private-sector investment could be attracted.

CMLC is also in talks with a partner on plans to bring a four- to five-star hotel to the area.

Following the engagement, CMLC will write a report with recommendations that will go back to the committee and eventually to city council for approval.
puckbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:34 AM   #42
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default NEWS ONLY- Flames/City Arena negotiation

City hall releases detailed agreements for arena deal with Calgary Flames

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...7-4146db2b59c7
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CedarMeter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 12:25 PM   #43
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Calgary Event Centre RFP for Prime Design Consultant Services came out today.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #44
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an update here, the prime design consultant services RFP closed last Friday, and shortlisted design teams will be interviewed next week.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #45
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1260630160438509568
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #46
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll be a familiar design team, I'll just say that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #47
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1263497407469248514
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #48
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure if this fits this threads' rules, but copying a post from another fourm

Quote:
https://skyrisecities.com/forum/thre....29262/page-20

I've heard more news regarding the event centre development,

Firstly it looks like the building will be sponsored by Scotiabank, and either be called Scotiabank Centre possibly Place. Scotiabank has priority rights to the namesake of the building since they are the current sponsor of the Saddledome, and it looks like they don't plan of changing that at the moment. Other interested parties are both WestJet and Air Canada, Telus, Shaw, and I've heard CN being thrown around too. But the Scotiabank naming is pretty much certain.

Secondly, expect a very neutral looking interior with grey seats rather than red. This is for good reason but I can't discuss why just yet. Expect seats in a similar colour to MetLife Stadium.

Lastly the club seat section will very likely be Sponsored by Telus.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 10:03 PM   #49
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Not sure if this fits this threads' rules, but copying a post from another fourm
Odd about the seat color, but maybe they don’t want it too dark (it would have to be a darker red, not brighter, to look good) in there...maybe it’s because the lighting in the seating area will be dimmed down/light on the ice surface enhanced, during the games in the new rink?

The “theatre” effect, sort of like how they now have changed it to in Vancouver, and because of this they would rather have lighter color seats, not darker ones for people to better see their seats as they walk to them?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:03 PM   #50
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Construction to start this August, design plans to be revealed this spring.

Major work set to ramp up in 2021 on BMO Centre expansion, new arena and Stampede LRT station revamp

Quote:
The design of the new arena, which will replace the Saddledome, is expected to be unveiled this spring and construction is slated to begin in August. Both new facilities are pegged for completion in 2024.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #51
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It would be cool if it was sponsored by Shaw, West Jet or Telus too I guess as they all have their roots in Calgary. Would be perfect.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #52
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lastly the club seat section will very likely be Sponsored by Telus.
Makes sense. They have most of the building IT contract.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:09 PM   #53
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chatter on SkyriseCities forum tonight suggesting there is bad news coming next week about this project. Yikes.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:14 PM   #54
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Chatter on SkyriseCities forum tonight suggesting there is bad news coming next week about this project. Yikes.
Any details? Is Nenshi stepping down before August or something? Just thought it my be related to Nenshi's news about not running and the election in October. If for some reason he stepped down before the election, I could see politics ruining the day once again.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #55
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately no details. Will make a few calls this week to see if the rumour is legit.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #56
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga..._wDHbPuV3xNU3I

New arena on 'pause'
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #57
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419735798962786313
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #58
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

The City of Calgary released confidential material related to the new arena project Monday afternoon, but the mayor says council has already approved changes to the budget and the project manager.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/huge-win-...ager-1.5523667

Does this mean no inverted bowl design then?
Quote:
"It was built on an inverted bowl design which is very, very steep and it may not have worked in that particular piece of land and it would've been bad for accessibility. As we got into further design work, we realized there are some other things," the mayor told reporters Monday.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #59
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1473452770183110658

Hmm..
Old 12-21-2021, 05:41 PM   #60
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Today, I spoke with Murray Edwards, primary shareholder of Calgary Sports & Entertainment Corp (CSEC), about the future of the Event Centre project.

He informed me of the Flames intention to pull the plug on the Event Centre deal.

Why? Here’s what I know:

The deal struck in summer of 2019 envisioned a $550 m deal w/costs split equally between CSEC & the City. In addition, the City provided land, 90% demolition of the ‘Dome, excess flood/site remediation, & levies. Total City contribution: $275m + $22.4m = $297.4 plus land. I supported that deal.

In July of this year, CSEC asked to make changes to the above deal. Calgary Municipal Land Corp was removed as Development Manager, both parties added an extra $12.5m for potential cost overruns and The City added up to another $10m in event management costs.

Total value: $307.4 + land. I did not support that deal.

Since I was elected Mayor, Administration & my office have been working with CSEC to mitigate any additional costs. Two costs were identified: climate mitigation of around $4m and road/sidewalk right of way issues of $12.1m.

The City came to the table to assist with $6.4m in roadways leaving $9.7m for the Flames. Based on this gap of $9.7m, I am told CSEC is walking away from our deal.

I am disappointed. On a project worth over $650m, to have one party walk away for 1.5% of the value of the deal is staggering.

I wanted Calgarians to be the first to know. I am as disappointed as all of you that this is the way things are ending.
https://www.facebook.com/JyotiGondek
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote