Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #101
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Bit of an odd stat to post seeing that not one of those guys actually scored 17 goals last season.
Only one of them played 82 games, either, that's the point... it's a pace stat

Either way they all were very productive

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #102
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I will call this exactly what it is: premature panic to a disappointing start.
I’ve been saying this since last year. Don’t know how you can tell me what my own opinion is. I’ve watched this team through many worse starts then this. Extremely certain I am in not in any kind of panic lol
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #103
FaFaFlamey
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It’s a slow start, but it’s a slow start with Edmonton and James Neal rolling out of the gate. I think thats adding to the anxiety of watching this team. Not only that, we’ve waited a few years for this team to hit its peak, and that might have already happened.
FaFaFlamey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FaFaFlamey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #104
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Frolik should be paid what Ryan is, about 3 million per. But when you're paying a guy who doesn't move the needle much at all and ideally should be in your bottom six 4.3 million for a ridiculous five years, it's a mistake.

Even with today's cap there is no one who would give Frolik that kind of contract.
Oddly enough three million is Frolik's actually salary this year. Doesn't change your point, just thought it was interesting.

The Frolik signing wasn't that bad, even in hindsight. It would be fine if we weren't burnt by Brouwer, Stone, Neal then trading Neal for a worse contract.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #105
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Frolik should be paid what Ryan is, about 3 million per. But when you're paying a guy who doesn't move the needle much at all and ideally should be in your bottom six 4.3 million for a ridiculous five years, it's a mistake.

Even with today's cap there is no one who would give Frolik that kind of contract.
Most ufa deals aren’t great in their final year
But it needs to be assessed over the life of the contract
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #106
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames are fine, nothing that a train ride and some beers cant fix.
Seriously though this game showed some good signs of play, keep it up and positive results will follow. Peters and his crew will have to work hard to keep the team working hard and retaining a positive attitude.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #107
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Frolik has been bad for going on two seasons now, of course the signing was bad. Sure it started off good (first 2-3 seasons), but a contract is judged over the course of its entirety, not just the first few seasons. He would arguably clear waivers now.

As for Ryan, he's only in the second year of his and it started off really bad last year too. Maybe he's just a slow starter? Looks brutal though.
What’s brutal is this take.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #108
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imo, the team is missing one more legit forward and hope they can get Taylor Hall. Backlund is an okay third line center but gets paid too much for barely having any offensive ability. I look forward to the day Tkachuk isn't stuck with him.

1) Trade Jankowski and Frolik for picks
2) Trade Backlund + 1st + Kylington for extended Hall
3) Trade Brodie for Kreider

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Hall-Lindholm-Kreider
Bennett-Ryan-Mangiapane
Lucic-Dube-Rieder
Czarnik

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

Rittich
Talbot

Last edited by keenan87; 10-14-2019 at 08:58 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #109
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Kadri shake up was just what the doctor ordered for the team. Also taking Frolik out of the equation so that forcing/clinging on to 3M simply was no longer an option.

Neither happened so were left dealing with a continuation of the few recurring issues of last season.

But mind you this specific group has shown to be much, much more capable and probably will. But like its players, the resolve and effort seems to be hot and cold. Developing a work man like culture of no passengers is what's needed. I do get tired of jankowski and frolik disappearing for 20 game stretches only to show flashes once in a blue moon just as were writing them off as nhlers.

Want to see guys getting paid millions bringing it every damn night, even if it doesn't culminate in goals. Be at least harder working than the guys across from you. I dont know if that's the case when some of these forwards aren't "on".

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-14-2019 at 09:07 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #110
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
I’ve been saying this since last year. Don’t know how you can tell me what my own opinion is. I’ve watched this team through many worse starts then this. Extremely certain I am in not in any kind of panic lol
That’s his thing, man.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #111
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not all doom and gloom and realise they'll come around eventually... but this hasn't been a very entertaining start to the season. Somethings missing/off and I can't help but daydream about this team having Zucker and Kadri. What could have been!
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #112
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last year was fun to watch (if you ignored smith and Neal) . This year there isn’t a lot to smile about yet. I don’t have a good feeling about the direction where they are headed . Hope I’m wrong
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #113
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
I'm not all doom and gloom and realise they'll come around eventually... but this hasn't been a very entertaining start to the season. Somethings missing/off and I can't help but daydream about this team having Zucker and Kadri. What could have been!
Mark stone has 4g 5a in 6 games this year.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #114
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Sharks 3 Flames 1

- More complete game by the Flames
- Lack of finish does them in
- Powerplay isn't getting it done
- Bottom six still sputtering
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #115
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
“The homers that dominate this board”
Boy it would be nice if people could state their opinion without that garbage
Even more so when the first six pages of the post game thread aren't exactly dripping with optimism and homerism.

I didn't see too many "man our depth is excellent, don't worry guys!" posts.

It's natural to have a myopic view of the team you cheer for, and see the warts of said team as bigger than others. But the NHL is a cap league, and with more and more guys getting paid, the talent as you move through the lines drops off significantly in all 31 cities.

Calgary isn't different, and hopefully a bit above average.

Certainly not seeing it yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #116
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

What frustrates me is that the Flames are a pretty fast team, but they seem caught out and unable to "out-fast" every other fast team that comes along.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #117
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I honestly get it.

I get that those that are optimistic hate being called homers.

I get that those that are pissed at the results and pretty negative don't like to be told they're over reacting.

Hockey fans are passionate, so things get heated.

Maybe it's the last year of my calendar life adding perspective, but I'm just not all that upset. Every year in the first ten games you can look at some pretty simple stats and see the teams that are out early and won't last, and out slow and will build back.

Edmonton leads the league with a all situations PDO of 107.25. That's almost hilarious. It's being done on a 16.5% shooting percentage when the league average is 10.

Colorado, Buffalo, Anaheim and the Rangers aren't as extreme, but they too have numbers that suggest early season heater and regression just around the corner.

Teams like Tampa and Vegas live at the top of these things. They have the skill level to shoot higher, and the goaltending to beat averages. They likely don't slide that much (they will to some degree).

On the bottom end you have a bunch of teams that weren't supposed to be that good and just aren't (Minny terrible goaltending, Jersey hurting everywhere, LA, Columbus, Ottawa)

But you also have San Jose. They've lost some talent but with a PDO of 95 I'm not sure even Martin Jones is that bad.

Florida is improved but have had a rough start from Bobrovsky and a terrible shooting percentage.

Dallas and Calgary are basically tied for 8th in reverse PDO with shooting percentage down 2.5% from league average and save percentage down another 2%.

Dallas has Bishop, they should be fine, they're shooting percentage should rebound somewhat but keep in mind they struggled offensively last year as well..

Calgary should see their shooting percentage rebound, as they were the 2nd highest scoring team last year, but those that worry about goaltending have every right. This tandem may be sub .900.

I'm not going to tell anyone they are panicking, or when to panic, or if they should panic.

But I'm going to let it ride into November before I get in a knot.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #118
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Backlund, Frolik and Mangiapane are all doing fine. Despite anemic offensive production, they're still not defensive liabilities. I think Peters is in Frolik's head and not in a good way. Peters needs to take Frolik aside and just tell him to relax and play his game. Ryan is really struggling and doesn't get the same kind of mid-game demotions that Frolik does, that's gotta change.

Hamonic is dragging Hanifin down hard and Monahan continues to be a Corsi black hole. Monahan doesn't even get the toughest match ups at home and is still in the red. OTher teams appear to have a book on him and take full advantage. Bennett isn't much better, but at least in his case he's not playing with skilled linemates. Jankowski hasn't looked good, but not as terrible as some seem to think.

Think Czarnik deserves more minutes. That second PP unit desperately needs a trigger man like him. Rieder looks like a pointless signing, addresses nothing this team needs.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #119
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
What’s brutal is this take.
As usual, what's brutal is the fact that you think your opinion somehow holds more validity than others. But hey, what else is new?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #120
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Imo, the team is missing one more legit forward and hope they can get Taylor Hall. Backlund is an okay third line center but gets paid too much for barely having any offensive ability. I look forward to the day Tkachuk isn't stuck with him.

1) Trade Jankowski and Frolik for picks
2) Trade Backlund + 1st + Kylington for extended Hall
3) Trade Brodie for Kreider

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Hall-Lindholm-Kreider
Bennett-Ryan-Mangiapane
Lucic-Dube-Rieder
Czarnik

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone

Rittich
Talbot
Players are never extended prior to a trade, you would be trading for a rental Hall with the hopes to re-sign him.

IMO at that point Hall is hitting Free Agency to see what he can get.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 10-14-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote