Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2022, 12:53 PM   #2761
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well ya, I don't buy cheap computers, becuase I like them to work for 10 years. A phone is good for 3-5 years. I don't buy cheap most things. But phones tend to get dropped, and worst of all, support falls off either throguh lack of updates or updates being too demanding for the HW. So spending a lot doesn't make a load of sense to me.

I use my DSLR for photos, so don't really have a need to do much with my phone, but my wife's Pixel 4a was around $400, and I think the photos are fine with it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:21 PM   #2762
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well ya, I don't buy cheap computers, becuase I like them to work for 10 years. A phone is good for 3-5 years. I don't buy cheap most things. But phones tend to get dropped, and worst of all, support falls off either throguh lack of updates or updates being too demanding for the HW. So spending a lot doesn't make a load of sense to me.
Where Android devices are concerned, then yeah, I get it, I would never spend that kind of dough on an Android-powered phone.

Apple, so far, is the only phone manufacturer that will give even you 5 years of feature updates. And when they stop feature updates, they still do security updates; hell, the iPhone 5S just got an iOS security update last month and that's an 8 year old phone. Even Google isn't that good for device support longevity.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #2763
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, Apple is much better at providing longer term support, but anecdotally I hear a lot of the older phones are not very good on the newest releases. Slow, poor battery performance etc.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:09 PM   #2764
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Apple is still over priced for what you get. Period, end of story. You can get as good if not better laptops, desktops, tablets and even phones. I am not saying they are not good but they are not that good and definitely not double the cost better.

Audio handling on the iPhone sucks. Like big time sucks. Notifications? Alarms? there's a long list of crap this phone does poorly. Freezes? All the time. I have a 13 pro max and the number of times a day I have to turn the screen off because it randomly won't rotate the page? Games from their arcade constantly freeze and needed to be cleared and restarted.

The only Apple products I have truly been impressed with from a cost to function stand point are the Mini's and the Studio's. I think for the cost of the base level Mac mini you really cannot beat what you get out of that machine for $800. The M1 based ones are even better.

I have hacked a few older machines to run the latest OS and for 8 year old systems they do run surprisingly well with all intended features working as expected.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #2765
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

FYI. IOS 16 is available today.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:07 PM   #2766
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My MacBook bro, (2021) is the absolute worst computer I've ever owned at mounting external hard drives. Rarely works and when it does it's glitchy as hell. Multiple drives, all working on my windows laptop. Just pure crap
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:33 AM   #2767
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
My MacBook bro, (2021) is the absolute worst computer I've ever owned at mounting external hard drives. Rarely works and when it does it's glitchy as hell. Multiple drives, all working on my windows laptop. Just pure crap
Are they formatted in NTFS, exFat or Fat32? I think Fat32 is the most stable hopping between Mac and Windows. If windows only NTFS is supposed to be good and fast. For Mac only, I think it's exFat for best performance.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:35 AM   #2768
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Typically I would use exFat but it has file size or drive size limits? Can't remember anymore. Honestly it is easier to cave to Apple and use journaled or APFS and use something like Mac Drive on your windows systems in order to be able to mount the drive on your Windows laptop.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:15 PM   #2769
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you schedule a battery replacement, do you still have to send the phone away or do they replace it while you wait?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:10 PM   #2770
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
If you schedule a battery replacement, do you still have to send the phone away or do they replace it while you wait?
Back up your iPhone (iCloud/iTunes local drive), as they're going to give you a refurb of the same model, and take your old one which you'll wipe in their presence.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 09:53 PM   #2771
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

iFixit was pretty happy with the redesigned iPhone internals which make it easier to repair. Not all great as authorizing replacement parts is still a thing but progress I guess.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:56 PM   #2772
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Back up your iPhone (iCloud/iTunes local drive), as they're going to give you a refurb of the same model, and take your old one which you'll wipe in their presence.

Thanks. Did a backup, but battery replacement went smoothly and unfortunately didn’t end up with a new phone at the end of it
Old 09-22-2022, 03:07 PM   #2773
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Thanks. Did a backup, but battery replacement went smoothly and unfortunately didn’t end up with a new phone at the end of it
Ahh! Apologies for misleading.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:54 PM   #2774
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

So Apple announced a few updated products. The new Apple TV 4K has HDR10+ support but still no TrueHD. The remote now has a USB-C port. Someone tell me why they can't do the same with the iPhone? Hopefully next year.

The iPad Pro gets the M2 chip. Oh no, it's so much more powerful than my M1 version.

The regular iPad gets a horizontal Face ID camera but the Pro doesn't.

No wonder they didn't bother with a keynote.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #2775
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
So Apple announced a few updated products. The new Apple TV 4K has HDR10+ support but still no TrueHD. The remote now has a USB-C port. Someone tell me why they can't do the same with the iPhone? Hopefully next year.

The iPad Pro gets the M2 chip. Oh no, it's so much more powerful than my M1 version.

The regular iPad gets a horizontal Face ID camera but the Pro doesn't.

No wonder they didn't bother with a keynote.
I see a lot of rolling eyes. What revolutionary changes were you expecting?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:41 PM   #2776
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I see a lot of rolling eyes. What revolutionary changes were you expecting?
I wasn’t expecting huge changes because mobile tech has plateaued. But Apple is giving lower tier devices features that high end one could definitely use. Everything is USB-C except for the iPhone. It’s annoying to have to keep an extra cable just for one device for no good reason.

And it’s silly that Apple is putting the same chip from their best laptop into the iPad Pro without letting you take advantage of that power.

Apple does a lot of things I like but some decisions are aggravating.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 02:22 PM   #2777
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn’t expecting huge changes because mobile tech has plateaued. But Apple is giving lower tier devices features that high end one could definitely use. Everything is USB-C except for the iPhone. It’s annoying to have to keep an extra cable just for one device for no good reason.

And it’s silly that Apple is putting the same chip from their best laptop into the iPad Pro without letting you take advantage of that power.

Okay. I barely use cables with my phone these days as my car has a wireless charger and I have several in my house so the cable thing doesn't bother me all that much but I suppose if you have a vehicle with wired carplay or don't have wireless chargers it could be annoying.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 02:36 PM   #2778
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The port thing is just BS and Apple being a dick. Realistically it should have been changed for iPhone 13 and maybe even the 12. There is zero legit reasons to keep it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 04:30 PM   #2779
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

I thought this, too, until I bought my Galaxy Flip 4. That is a giant leap forward. Honestly, if the next iPhone could fold in half and take up 50% of the pocket real estate as the current phone people would be jizzing all over the place.

Even setting it up to take a photo (just fold it 90°, set it on a counter with the camera pointing at the crowd and shoot) is amazing.

I'm no Imagineer, but that is the next big thing IMO. It's just too good and I'm sure when Apple does it their hardware will be beautiful and better than Samsung. Too bad it'll take half a decade or more for them to join the party.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:13 PM   #2780
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think cables and connectors are coming to an end. Apple’s next move will probably be to remove the lightning altogether and go thinner. I also wouldn’t be too surprised, or unhappy if it happened, if the speakers went away. Honestly the grossest thing is seeing the speakers all jammed with with pocket lint, and I hate people using speaker phone when they’re on hold so it would be a win for me. I haven’t plugged my phone in since probably 2019 just to download a load of vacation photos.