Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #21
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Because you said you had the licence plate so I assumed you saw him hit your car and drive off.
He didn’t drive off. He stayed parked right next to me. The driver left though.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #22
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

He hit your car and just left his car parked there? Is he an idiot? I mean, if you're not going to leave a note, why would you be stupid enough to just leave your there?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #23
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So did you see them hit your car, or you have a witness that saw?

Or is this like when a jerk dings your door and go on their merry way?

When you say hit and run it paints the picture of hitting you car with theirs and driving away. Not parking their car and going into the store.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 09:29 PM   #24
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Since you have their info, but they are runners, this'll require a unit dispatched to you for investigation (don't bother going to a district office, they'll tell you as much and send you on your way). Call up the non-emerg line and let them know what happened and that you have the other vehicle's information. They'll set you up a call to have a unit dispatched to your place.

During the officers visit, be sure to ask at some point for the case number (You can even ask the ECO answering the non-emerg line, at the end of the call if you like). It's an 8 digit number, and will start with 20xxxxxx. That's what your insurance company is looking for.

Your insurance company is perfectly capable of getting a copy of that report from the police themselves. I only mention this as they occasionally seem to tell their clients (you) that you have to get a copy and send it to them. So far as I know, they do this to be cheap. As a person involved in the report, if you go down to a district office, you can get a copy for free. IIRC, insurance companies are charged per copy. If you want to get a copy and mail/fax/email it to them, that's cool, but every insurance company is perfectly capable of getting their own copy.

ETA: The only place this gets a bit sticky is if the vehicle that hit yours is stolen or has been reported stolen. Then, to the best of my knowledge, you are out the deductible, but insurance covers the rest.

From experience insurers ask their clients to get a copy of the police report because as a party to the report they police will give the a copy.

The issue isn’t costs, I think insurers pay $25, but time. The CPS sometimes takes weeks or months to get that info to the insurer.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Well he didn’t hit my car and then get out and actually run away so maybe you’re taking that a bit too literally.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #26
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well he didn’t hit my car and then get out and actually run away so maybe you’re taking that a bit too literally.
Hit and run is a pretty specific thing...
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #27
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its more like a hit and shop
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #28
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

More like walking away from the scene of an accident.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #29
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

####tiest hitter and runner in history right there.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:26 PM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

"Your honour, I stand here today accused of a hit and run, a heinous crime! But nay, I performed no such action! You see, upon colliding with the plaintiff's vehicle, I did not run! I did not sprint, nor did I jog or even skip away! There was nary a spring to my step! I simply walked into the Walmart, purchased my weekly fifty-litre drum of household lubricant, and returned at a normal pace to my automobile! And last I checked, your honour, hitting and walking to purchase lubricant is not a crime! No, you check to see if it is!"

Case closed. I think you're out of luck, Cecil.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:39 AM   #31
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He dinged you’re door with his and went in shopping didn’t he? You came out and saw the dent and assumed it was the car beside you. So you took the plate info even though you have no witnesses to him dinging your door.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:55 AM   #32
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
He dinged you’re door with his and went in shopping didn’t he? You came out and saw the dent and assumed it was the car beside you. So you took the plate info even though you have no witnesses to him dinging your door.
If he dinged the door while opening his own to get out of the vehicle, it’s not a hit and run nor a car accident. It’s property damage to be dealt with through his insurance company if so desired, no cps involvement unless it was intentional.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #33
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

This thread is taking a weird turn.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I’ve reported the hit and run to the police and we’ll see what happens.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #34
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's weird is the lack of info and the fact he parked beside you. You are leaving out important details that either pass partial blame to yourself or all of it.

Please explain what happened...
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #35
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Lol. I really want to help you guys with the conspiracy theory but what I’ve explained is basically it.

My car was parked. Another vehicle attempted to park next to me and ran into my vehicle while doing so. Instead of leaving a note (or speaking to me) they left their vehicle. Yes they left their car parked next to mine. Yes that makes them morons since they clearly knew they hit my car and likely knew I saw them hit my car.

That’s it. No new details or crazy happenings. Pretty simple.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #36
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. I really want to help you guys with the conspiracy theory but what I’ve explained is basically it.

My car was parked. Another vehicle attempted to park next to me and ran into my vehicle while doing so. Instead of leaving a note (or speaking to me) they left their vehicle. Yes they left their car parked next to mine. Yes that makes them morons since they clearly knew they hit my car and likely knew I saw them hit my car.

Sorry bud. I wasn’t trying to suggest a conspiracy theory. I was just responding to the other fellows scenario of a door ding. Apologies.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #37
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Modern suspension and fiberglass trim pieces can mask a surprising amount of contact between vehicles especially when parking on non-level surfaces. So there's a possibility that they didn't know about it. It happens way more often than you think.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #38
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This, exact same thing happened to me, unless you have a witness your screwed though.

Cops came out looked at the damage on my car, the corresponding paint transfer on the other cat, but the driver said they didn't hit me. Cops told me they weren't going to open an investigation as it wasn't worth it and as it happened on private property it was a civil matter. They told the driver they should pay up but the driver was adamant they didn't hit me.

Damage was $2500. I had to threaten the driver with a small claims court and they eventually paid.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #39
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you go to the police station with their plate info the police can bring it up in their system and contact the owner. File a police report soon as the insurance co will want that as one of the first steps to start their process
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:34 AM   #40
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
If you go to the police station with their plate info the police can bring it up in their system and contact the owner. File a police report soon as the insurance co will want that as one of the first steps to start their process
If you have plate info, call us and we will dispatch to you. Don’t go to a district office in this circumstance as they will tell you the same. If there are suspects, evidence, or surveillance for any event we will want to dispatch. It may not always result in an investigation if the evidence can’t fully support a claim and thereby result in a possible civil issue, but police will come take a look to help determine.