Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2020, 07:37 AM   #81
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
The first Rush song I ever hard was Cygnus X1....quite an initiation for sure! A drummer friend of mine played it for me. First concert I saw was the Farewell to Kings tour and I believe Max Webster were the opening act.

The album that really got me hooked was Hemisphere's. Buddy had a red vinyl copy of it. Spent many nights trying to figure out La Villa Strangiato on guitar.
Funny you mention that.

Since the announcement of Neil passing, I have been binging on Rush. Almost a "re-discovering" of their sheer brilliance that had come to be forgotten to a point.

Last night I listened to Hemispheres again and when i finished, I went to you tube and watched 3 different videos of La Villa. Just an amazing arrangement and showcase of musicianship. I cant play a lick of any of it, but its not beyond me how amazing the arrangements and their ability to tie things together is and that song is a brilliant example....maybe their best in that regards.

Reliving my youth I guess.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:48 AM   #82
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
They both sounded pretty done with their careers like 6 years ago and happy to move on to the next stage of their lives.
Apparently Alex has arthritis pretty bad in his hands, makes it tough to play well and id think they are done.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #83
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Apparently Alex has arthritis pretty bad in his hands, makes it tough to play well and id think they are done.
Yep, that last tour seemed like a huge pain for them when they spoke of it later. Along with Alex's problems playing guitar Geddy has also really lost his ability to sing. Once you start struggling at everything and you've accomplished so much it makes more sense to pack'r in.

They're very humble, simple guys. Not the type to wreck and discomfort themselves in an attempt to cling to fame and earn more money.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #84
jayswin

Exp:

The only shame in that last tour was that the Calgary show got moved to Red Deer because of the flood. I was really pumped to see them play in front of a sold out crowd at the Dome, as their two previous shows there were woefully under sold.

I couldn't believe they played to 6k when they came here for the Snakes and Arrows tour. That's two thirds empty. Pretty big embarrassment on our part.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only shame in that last tour was that the Calgary show got moved to Red Deer because of the flood. I was really pumped to see them play in front of a sold out crowd at the Dome, as their two previous shows there were woefully under sold.

I couldn't believe they played to 6k when they came here for the Snakes and Arrows tour. That's two thirds empty. Pretty big embarrassment on our part.
Just because they are a Canadian band it's not the onus of the public to shell out money to see them live if they don't care for the music.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #86
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

they did play to a full 'Dome in 2015 on the R40 tour.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #87
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I saw them in '15 at the Dome too and the place was PACKED. It was awesome
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #88
jayswin

Exp:

Oops, I think I'm getting the tours mixed up. It was 2013 that they got moved to Red Deer and then played again in 2015 at the Dome, then right?
Old 01-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #89
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oops, I think I'm getting the tours mixed up. It was 2013 that they got moved to Red Deer and then played again in 2015 at the Dome, then right?
I believe so. Red Deer in '13 for the Clockwork Angels tour, Calgary '15 for R40
Old 01-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #90
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

St. Catharines moves closer to a public memorial to Neil:

Quote:
A public process to name the pavilion in Lakeside Park after Rush drummer Neil Peart is set to begin.

St. Catharines city council voted unanimously Monday night to move forward with naming the pavilion and include Peart's name for consideration.

The adoption of the motion made by Mayor Walter Sendzik means the city will start a formal process that includes asking the public for thoughts and ideas.

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/...consideration/

- Surferguy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #91
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Just because they are a Canadian band it's not the onus of the public to shell out money to see them live if they don't care for the music.
Even if you do love the music.
When you have a chance to see a band pretty well every second year for 30 years, the likelihood of going to a show later in their career is much smaller.
(especially if you're like me and didn't get into their later work.)

Last edited by GordonBlue; 01-29-2020 at 07:43 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #92
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Even if you do love the music.
When you have a chance to see a band pretty well every second year for 30 years, the likelihood of going to a show later in their career is much smaller.
(especially if you're like me and didn't get into their later work.)
I'm not a Rush fan. I do respect their work as musicians and believe they are fully deserving of their place in the Rock & Roll HOF but outside of a few songs I could just never get into them. That's just a personal thing and not a reflection on the band but I don't feel it's my responsibility to go see them live when they come into town because of the flag they carry as that's as bad as the Tim Horton's Canadian branding nonsense.

All of that said I am still sad to see a great musician pass away so RIP Neil Pert.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #93
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Beautiful Tribute

Beautiful tribute by the US Army Band "Pershing's Own".

Never realized how poignant Neil's lyrics could be. Great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAPSK_cV5n0

Last edited by Hart50; 02-25-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hart50 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #94
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Saw that the other day. Such a great vid. Everyone knows Peart was an amazing drummer but he was a great lyricist as well.

That cover hit me hard halfway through when I was thinking how heartfelt it was. Then I realized it didn't have drums.

RIP
Old 02-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #95
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart50 View Post
Beautiful tribute by the US Army Band "Pershing's Own".

Never realized how poignant Neil's lyrics could be. Great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAPSK_cV5n0
Serious and solemn. Great performance. Thanks for posting.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #96
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Re the lack of drums, there is a suggestion this was done on purpose as a "missing man formation" tribute.
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #97
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

So ths is amazing.

Ohio St. University marching band dedicated its entire halftime show to the music of Rush.

Quote:
To honor the early 2020 passing of one of the greatest drummers in history, Rush’s Neil Peart, the Ohio State Marching Band added a little more percussion to the mix for the halftime show Saturday.

Peart was a member of the progressive rock band for more than 40 years before he died from cancer. To help recreate Peart’s sonic impact, the percussion section was expanded by 20 toms and 20 extra cymbals mounted on four racks. They were at the front of the formation and played by the band’s five percussion alternates for this week.
The choreography is mind bottling.

https://news.osu.edu/ohio-state-marc...music-of-rush/
Old 10-12-2021, 07:06 AM   #98
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So ths is amazing.

Ohio St. University marching band dedicated its entire halftime show to the music of Rush.

The choreography is mind bottling.

https://news.osu.edu/ohio-state-marc...music-of-rush/
ok.

first it was freaking cool it was a Rush show by an american college marching band.

but holy crap I did not expect that. I thought it would just be the band standing there. I didn't know marching bands did that sort of thing. to play their instruments and do that choreography? just wow.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2022, 08:55 AM   #99
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

The guys open up about the last few years....it was hard on everyone.

Quote:
Speaking in a new interview, Lee and Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson discussed Peart’s final years and how he wanted to keep his illness quiet, which forced the band to protect his privacy by keeping fans in the dark.

“[Peart] didn’t want anyone to know [about his illness],” Lee said on Canadian talk show House Of Strombo. “He just didn’t. He wanted to keep it in the house. And we did. And that was hard. I can’t tell you it was easy, ’cause it was not easy.

“And it was ongoing. His diagnosis was… he was given 18 months at the most, and it went on three and a half years. And so that was a constant flow of us going to see him, giving him support.”

“What his family had to live through was really difficult, so it was a lot of back-and-forth,” he said. “And when you’re in that state, it’s very hard to function normally, because you can’t talk to anybody about it, ’cause no one’s supposed to know. And so people hear rumblings and they bring things up to you, and you deflect it. And so that feels, on one hand, it feels dishonest, but on the other hand you’re being loyal to your friend. So #### the dishonesty part. That wins.”

He continued: “I would say that was the most difficult time for us to move forward, during that whole thing, because we were in this bubble of grief sort of walking towards an inevitable and terrible conclusion.”
#### cancer indeed.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/rush-...gnosis-3208828
Old 04-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #100
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alex just put out a new record, and wrote this for Neil. It's a fan video:

- Surferguy
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post: