Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope the boys are able to grind out a 2-1 win.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #22
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I was just going to say how well Granlund has been playing. How nice would it have been to get both of them in the Flames system!
Indeed.

The difference from last year when he seemed completely lost to this year has been pretty amazing. What a difference one summer can make. Also his confidence level is through the roof at the moment.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #23
nmhen
Everybody's favourite Wild fan!

Exp:

Hey gang....good to see you all again!

You know how every year I come in here and try to convince you the Wild really is different and is not the same old boring Lemaire team that you knew for so long?

Well this year it's really true. With the exception of the last two games (in which the Wild won despite not being their best), this team is pretty compelling to watch. They win a ton of faceoffs, and possess the heck out of the puck. They finally have more than one line that can hurt you, and Granlund-Pominville-?? on the "second" line is hotter'n'hades right now.

As previously observed, Backstrom has been horrid so far this season. He started not fully recovered from the hernia that took him out in warmups of game one against Chicago, and then aggravated a knee when Nystrom ran into him during the third game of the season.

That, however, opened the door for Harding - who has been outstanding (as also noted above, or in the preview). Yes, Harding has MS. But don't make this about how he is playing well despite the MS. He's playing well, period. It's not like 1.10 and .950 are just average numbers for a goalie who doesn't have MS.

Heatley has been terrible. Most Wild fans just want them to scratch him and be done with it (untradeable). He did score an actual (as opposed to empty-net) goal last game, though, so the hard core glass-half-full types among the Wild set are hoping that'll get him going. But very recently I know there was a bet in the press box about how many times he would fall down in a game. He's taking stupid penalties, slower than molasses, and he still has the 5-second wind-up that is just aggravating to watch (particularly when he gets his pocket picked during it, or it gives the defender enough time to get his stick in the way of the shot when it eventually occurs).

The defense is surprisingly not-top-heavy. Suter and Brodin are going to get 26+ every night. But Spurgeon is under-rated, Ballard has been okay (more solid plays than gaffes), and Stoner and Scandella are a serviceable third pair. Dumba has played his 9th game, so he's sat the past two games as they decide whether or not to send him back to Red Deer or burn the first year of his contract. They don't want him sitting for too long, but I don't know if he'll play tonight or not at this point.

I'm really hoping the Wild gets back to the strong play that they've exhibited for most of the (young) season tonight so you can see they're not just a trapping, dull team anymore.
nmhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Indeed.

The difference from last year when he seemed completely lost to this year has been pretty amazing. What a difference one summer can make. Also his confidence level is through the roof at the moment.
There was an article in some sports magazine about his off season training. It was pretty impressive. Very carefully planned and focused, and exceptionally intense.

I think this is of interest to Flames to the extent that it might help Markus next summer. He'll need to do something similar to become an NHL player.

As for Mikael's confidence, I don't think it's necessarily through the roof yet, but he is for the first time finding it possible to use his talents on the ice. Minnesota media who never saw him play his own game must be astonished that he can do anything at all.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
nmhen

Exp:

re: Granlund. His game and his physique were simply not suited to the NHL last season. The team did him no favors by penciling him right onto the 2nd line, by-passing the AHL, too. Once he got down there (last season) he evidently took it to heart and really took a mature approach to adapting himself to the NHL/north-american style.

As Henry Fool mentioned, his training regiment this summer (as reported) is a perfect manifestation of that mature approach to adaptation. That alone is impressive about the kid.

The team has done a better job of managing expectations about him, and you can see his confidence improving almost every game. His goal against the Devils - first of the season - was from the apex of the crease. I don't recall ever seeing him in that spot last season. And his passing is incredible. Great vision.

I don't think he's a 100 point guy, but he could be worth 40 apples in a year if they keep playing him with finishers.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhen View Post
re: Granlund. His game and his physique were simply not suited to the NHL last season. The team did him no favors by penciling him right onto the 2nd line, by-passing the AHL, too. Once he got down there (last season) he evidently took it to heart and really took a mature approach to adapting himself to the NHL/north-american style.

As Henry Fool mentioned, his training regiment this summer (as reported) is a perfect manifestation of that mature approach to adaptation. That alone is impressive about the kid.

The team has done a better job of managing expectations about him, and you can see his confidence improving almost every game. His goal against the Devils - first of the season - was from the apex of the crease. I don't recall ever seeing him in that spot last season. And his passing is incredible. Great vision.

I don't think he's a 100 point guy, but he could be worth 40 apples in a year if they keep playing him with finishers.
IŽve been really impressed by his defensive game. The way he backchecks (or finishes checks generally) and blocks shots is something I really didnŽt expect. Also what IŽve seen he has been pretty good in face-offs.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #27
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post

As for Mikael's confidence, I don't think it's necessarily through the roof yet, but he is for the first time finding it possible to use his talents on the ice. Minnesota media who never saw him play his own game must be astonished that he can do anything at all.
I just think there is a night and day difference in his confidence level compared to last year. I donŽt really see any hesitation in his game, he seems to be playing a really solid all-around game at the moment.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #28
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just think there is a night and day difference in his confidence level compared to last year. I donŽt really see any hesitation in his game, he seems to be playing a really solid all-around game at the moment.
For sure, he's contributing in hits, blocks, take-aways. He has basically played himself back to the center from a difficult situation. The local hockey media - whose opinions are basically just echoes of Russo's tweets - didn't think he was an NHL player to start the current season. Like #Yeolo recently said, last season was a kind of negative perfect storm for him.

But he can still do more with the puck when he really breaks through.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #29
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No snooze fest please.
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #30
nmhen

Exp:

Quote:
IŽve been really impressed by his defensive game. The way he backchecks (or finishes checks generally) and blocks shots is something I really didnŽt expect. Also what IŽve seen he has been pretty good in face-offs.

Agree. That seems to be common among Finnish players, but that's not to detract from the responsibility he shows in all three zones. Mikko's probably the most-extreme example of that willingness to play defensively. He has said in the past that his natural inclination is to bail on the offensive zone to make sure he's in the best position to defend rather than stick around trying to score.

That's why I don't think Mikko's a true #1 center. He's too defensive-minded, or he's not offensive-minded enough is a better way to put it.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #31
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agree. That seems to be common among Finnish players, but that's not to detract from the responsibility he shows in all three zones. Mikko's probably the most-extreme example of that willingness to play defensively. He has said in the past that his natural inclination is to bail on the offensive zone to make sure he's in the best position to defend rather than stick around trying to score.

That's why I don't think Mikko's a true #1 center. He's too defensive-minded, or he's not offensive-minded enough is a better way to put it.
For sure he is not. I read some Minnesota fans opinions on hfboards and I think some fans need to stop hoping for Koivu-Parise to be Getzlaf-Perry and just appreciate the things that they do so well.

They work so hard, they carry the team in most situations, they're nasty to play against. There's a lot to like there if you appreciate the finer things in hockey. But maybe you won't see point-per-game seasons from either.

If you get a more balanced scoring going, you can relax about Koivu too.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #32
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Hey gang....good to see you all again!

You know how every year I come in here and try to convince you the Wild really is different and is not the same old boring Lemaire team that you knew for so long?

Well this year it's really true. With the exception of the last two games (in which the Wild won despite not being their best), this team is pretty compelling to watch. They win a ton of faceoffs, and possess the heck out of the puck. They finally have more than one line that can hurt you, and Granlund-Pominville-?? on the "second" line is hotter'n'hades right now.

As previously observed, Backstrom has been horrid so far this season. He started not fully recovered from the hernia that took him out in warmups of game one against Chicago, and then aggravated a knee when Nystrom ran into him during the third game of the season.

That, however, opened the door for Harding - who has been outstanding (as also noted above, or in the preview). Yes, Harding has MS. But don't make this about how he is playing well despite the MS. He's playing well, period. It's not like 1.10 and .950 are just average numbers for a goalie who doesn't have MS.

Heatley has been terrible. Most Wild fans just want them to scratch him and be done with it (untradeable). He did score an actual (as opposed to empty-net) goal last game, though, so the hard core glass-half-full types among the Wild set are hoping that'll get him going. But very recently I know there was a bet in the press box about how many times he would fall down in a game. He's taking stupid penalties, slower than molasses, and he still has the 5-second wind-up that is just aggravating to watch (particularly when he gets his pocket picked during it, or it gives the defender enough time to get his stick in the way of the shot when it eventually occurs).

The defense is surprisingly not-top-heavy. Suter and Brodin are going to get 26+ every night. But Spurgeon is under-rated, Ballard has been okay (more solid plays than gaffes), and Stoner and Scandella are a serviceable third pair. Dumba has played his 9th game, so he's sat the past two games as they decide whether or not to send him back to Red Deer or burn the first year of his contract. They don't want him sitting for too long, but I don't know if he'll play tonight or not at this point.

I'm really hoping the Wild gets back to the strong play that they've exhibited for most of the (young) season tonight so you can see they're not just a trapping, dull team anymore.
Whats the speculation from the Wild fans and media on why Heatley has declined so much. Is it just getting old, or just isn't putting in the effort? I'm curious about this.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #33
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Whats the speculation from the Wild fans and media on why Heatley has declined so much. Is it just getting old, or just isn't putting in the effort? I'm curious about this.
I know you didn't ask me, but I've seen a few games and to me it looks like he's trying but you can't deny that every line he's demoted from instantly improves.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

Hope the boys are able to grind out a 2-1 win.
Hartley's thoughts on coming into the Flames GDT and seeing the Mikael Granlund bj fest.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #35
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Hartley's thoughts on coming into the Flames GDT and seeing the Mikael Granlund bj fest.
Finnish homers are the kings of internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #36
josef
First Line Centre

Exp:

thereŽs two teams where i have to think about loosing my sleep in the middle of the night, yotes & wild, boring, boring, boring - but with the way the flames play this season, i guess iŽll give it another try
GO FLAMES GO!!
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #37
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
We are just fighting our inferiority complex when it comes to having quality NHLŽers. Like Henry Fool said we are the biggest homers when it comes to our players. Forgive us.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #38
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anybody else think Hartley looks like Henry Winkler in that pic?

Hoping for a good game here and for the Flames to get above .500. Berra with another solid effort and I think Jones and Galiardi have good games.

4-2 with an empty netter.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #39
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

RT @RogMillions: Hard to believe..but if lines are any indication. Baertschi appears out again! Bouma back in. I'm a little confused. #Flames.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #40
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sven might he a scratch again tonight as per Roger Millions twitter.

the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burntheforrest , gtd , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin