Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #101
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I say for the price you might as well get motorized. It is pretty comparable to just fixed mount screens and adds a little pizzaz. of course costco does sell the same brand screen in a fixed not sure if it is instore or not but is available online and so far I like the screen. Definitly check out tigerdirects options as I am very impressed since I gambled going with them

Also optoma epson pannasonic sanyo all solid names to go with in the projector world. Of course there are others as well!

I should have asked do you have light control? There is a downside to the optomas that they aren't quite as bright. Epsons are known to put out alot more light making watching tv in ambient light nicer. Costco used to sell epsons as well so maybe they have them in store and you can choose between them. Their online selection has alot less choice today then it had last week when I was browsing

Last edited by fundmark19; 01-06-2011 at 10:57 AM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #102
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I say for the price you might as well get motorized. It is pretty comparable to just fixed mount screens and adds a little pizzaz. of course costco does sell the same brand screen in a fixed not sure if it is instore or not but is available online and so far I like the screen. Definitly check out tigerdirects options as I am very impressed since I gambled going with them

Also optoma epson pannasonic sanyo all solid names to go with in the projector world. Of course there are others as well!

I should have asked do you have light control? There is a downside to the optomas that they aren't quite as bright. Epsons are known to put out alot more light making watching tv in ambient light nicer. Costco used to sell epsons as well so maybe they have them in store and you can choose between them. Their online selection has alot less choice today then it had last week when I was browsing
The room is in a basement so I can block off the two windows fairly easily. I actually prefer not to watch movies in pitch black, though. Plus I promised my wife this wouldn't make watching TV a hassle. The lights are on dimmers - do you think it'll be okay or too washed out?

I am a sucker for pizzaz. I'll think about the motorized screen. If I'm going overboard today I may as well go all out.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #103
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ as a sidenote if you're an airmiles collecter, tigerdirect is available at the airmiles shops.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #104
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

are you kidding. FML I just wasted an oppertunity to get 226 dollars worth of airmiles Let me check what my lumen count is and I can let you know sort of based on that. Are your lights pot lights or regular fixtures?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #105
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ok so lumens is more then mine (sanyo z5) and I can watch it without problems with a light on. Looks way better with lights dimmed or off. If I have just my potlights on then it is very watchable with the 6 illuminated. The contrast is significantly different so I am not sure if that would make it better/worse then mine. If you want to get package done and over with and want a great projector the 1699 sanyo at costco is a great buy for all in 1080p glory

The optoma got alot of love from memory express' website people are saying its plenty bright. Best part is if you don't like it costco has the best return policy.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product....aspx?curtab=2

Last edited by fundmark19; 01-06-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #106
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I read the reviews on the costco site and the memory express site - tough to find anything bad written about it so I don't think I'll jump up to the $1699 Sanyo. I have pot lights in my room so it looks like I'll be okay. Thanks again for your help. I owe you.

Check this screen out - acoustically transparent so you can put your center channel behind the screen. How cool is that.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #107
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
are you kidding. FML I just wasted an oppertunity to get 226 dollars worth of airmiles
I hear you. I only found out about it because I had to buy something through one other sponsor to keep my gold status. I was browsing the online shops and there it was. To think of all the airmiles I've missed out on.

BTW, thanks to whoever started this projector talk. I'm seriously considering going that route over plasma for my basement.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #108
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya I have read about them they are pretty cool not sure how good they work and what not. Thats what imax uses with speakers behind the screen. The brand is great from my screen so I assume it would be good! If you have good equipment I don't see why it wouldnt work. My speakers are low end budget and I am going to put in wall speakers just for a clean look next year so my wife doesn't hate me so having an accustic screen doesnt work for my situation
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #109
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah I'm not going to buy that screen but it seems pretty cool. Still haven't decided on my screen - the power one is tempting especially at the price you found and given your review of it.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #110
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you are in calgary feel free to stop by and you can take a look at it. I am in deep south though
Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #111
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Wow thanks man, that's awesome. I know if I see it I'll want it. I'll check out Costco tonight if my friend is available and I might pick a screen up there. Otherwise I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #112
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds good. Once you buy it you wont ever regret it. Best purchase of my life
Old 01-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #113
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

FML. Just got back from Costco and they don't sell projectors in store anymore. Guess this will be a tomorrow project. Anybody know if Memory Express price matches Costco?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #114
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are you joking? I was there before christmas and they did. Stupid new year!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #115
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Are you joking? I was there before christmas and they did. Stupid new year!
Haha yeah the monkey there told me they haven't sold them for about two months. What a goof.

Hey check this out. The Optoma HD20 Home Theatre DLP Projector is $1,079.99 at Memory Express. It seems better than the Optoma HD200x for $1,199.99 at Memory Express ($1,099 at Costco) because the HD20 has 1700 lumens and a contrast ratio of 4000:1 versue the HD200x with 1500 lumens and a contrast ration of 3500:1. But it's cheaper, which is weird.

What do you think? Am I missing something here?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #116
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I read the reviews on the costco site and the memory express site - tough to find anything bad written about it so I don't think I'll jump up to the $1699 Sanyo. I have pot lights in my room so it looks like I'll be okay. Thanks again for your help. I owe you.

Check this screen out - acoustically transparent so you can put your center channel behind the screen. How cool is that.

Acoustically transparent just means perfed, hopefully micro perfed. Just be careful as you typical have to throw more light at a perfed screen then you do solid one. Some of the small projectors will not be able to give you a bright enough image.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #117
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha yeah the monkey there told me they haven't sold them for about two months. What a goof.

Hey check this out. The Optoma HD20 Home Theatre DLP Projector is $1,079.99 at Memory Express. It seems better than the Optoma HD200x for $1,199.99 at Memory Express ($1,099 at Costco) because the HD20 has 1700 lumens and a contrast ratio of 4000:1 versue the HD200x with 1500 lumens and a contrast ration of 3500:1. But it's cheaper, which is weird.

What do you think? Am I missing something here?
i got the HD20 after a bunch of research last year. I REALLY wanted an HD 1080p projector, but didn't want to fork out all that dough for the big name brands. i am EXTREMELY satisfied with the projector experience. Make sure you get a screen + a good sound system. We only go to the movie theater once every few months now.

Nothing like getting some snacks, popping open a bottle of wine , and putting in a blu ray movie for entertainment. Best entertainment investment i've made in my life, that's for sure.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #118
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Reviews are quite good on it. http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/hd20/image.php

Honestly speaking no matter which projector you end up with you will love it. I did the same thing you are in over comparing everything. When I finally ended up with my sanyo z5 I was blown away how great it was. And it is a lower end projector. Just go with hd20 and don't look back!
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #119
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Thanks guys. I'll make up my mind now - I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever. It's now between this Epson 8350 with a 50,000:1 contrast ratio that was projector central's editor's choice for 2010 or the Optoma HD20 - thanks for your advice on that one bubbsy.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #120
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'll make up my mind now - I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever. It's now between this Epson 8350 with a 50,000:1 contrast ratio that was projector central's editor's choice for 2010 or the Optoma HD20 - thanks for your advice on that one bubbsy.
Just to thow my two cents in. I bought the HD200x, which is basically the HD20 but slightly different specs for the Canadian market, last year and installed it in my basement home theater using the acoustically transparent screen from Costco. I love the projector, the screen could have been brighter, but overall this is a good combo and many many people have commented on the great picture.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote